What types of checks can be cashed at an Amscot location? Are there limits to the check amount that Amscot will cash? What other financial services does Amscot offer? (Hint: Quite a few!) If you’ve ever wondered about the policies, limits, fees, and requirements for cashing a check at an Amscot location, we created this post with you in mind. Here, you’ll find everything you want or need to know about this service.
Included in This Article:
What types of checks will Amscot cash?
What kind of ID do I need to cash a check at Amscot?
Will Amscot cash a check in any amount?
What other financial services does Amscot provide (money orders, prepaid cards, loans, etc.)
What are the Amscot check cashing fees?
What are some alternative places to go if I don’t like the Amscot check cashing fees?
What Types of Check Does Amscot Cash?
Does Amscot cash personal checks? Yes and others. Amscot stores allow you to cash a wide variety of check types, including personal checks, insurance checks, computer and handwritten payroll checks, cashier’s checks, traveler’s checks, out-of-state and international checks, and government checks. Amscot will also cash money orders.
Do I Need Identification to Cash a Check at Amscot?
Yes, you will need a form of identification in order to successfully cash your check in an Amscot store. Amscot will accept any current government issued photo ID, including a driver’s license, military ID, passport, or a state-issued identification card. Additionally, Amscot states that when you go to cash a check, you may be asked to provide any of the following:
- Street Address
- Date of Birth
- Valid Government Issued Photo ID (Driver’s License, Passport, Etc.)
- SSN, TIN, or Alien Identification Number
- Occupation Information
- Transaction Details
- Other Identifying Documents
This policy applies to all of the money services offered by Amscot. You can read more about this policy on the I.D. Verification page of the Amscot website.
Is There a Limit on the Checks I Can Cash at Amscot?
No. Per the FAQs page on the Amscot website, Amscot’s will cash checks in any amount with no maximum (or minimum).
There is no daily or weekly limit on the number of checks that you’re able to cash at Amscot. You’re welcome to bring in as many checks as you would like and have them cashed.
What Additional Services Are Available at Amscot?
Besides check cashing, Amscot also offers a variety of other services. Some of these additional services include:
- Cash Advances/Loans
- Money Orders
- In-store ATMs
- Western Union money transfers
- Prepaid Amscot MasterCards
- Notary and postal services
Keep in mind that these offerings may vary somewhat among individual locations, but generally, you can count on your local Amscot to have all of these services available for your convenience.
Where Is Amscot Located and When Are They Open?
Amscot has approximately 239 locations throughout the state of Florida. The locations are primarily in the Tampa Bay, Orlando, and Miami metropolitan areas. To find out the contact information, address, or hours of the nearest Amscot location, you can visit the the Amscot store locator here. Many of the stores are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but others have more limited hours of operation.
Do I Have to Pay to Cash My Check at Amscot?
Yes, you do have to pay to cash your check at Amscot. There is a $3.00 minimum on all checks cashed. Below, we’ve provided a chart for how much you can expect to pay based on the amount and type of the check you’re cashing. This way, you’ll know exactly how much in fees you’ll owe when you go in to have your check cashed. The fees are sorted by check category: computer-generated local payroll checks, government checks, tax refund checks, cashiers and insurance checks, Amscot money orders, other payroll and handwritten checks, and finally, personal checks and money orders. Just look for the appropriate category and, if applicable, scroll down until you see the bracket that includes the amount of your check.
Typically, places like Amscot will give you the requested amount in cash less their cashing fee. You can use the chart to calculate the fee and subtract it from the amount of your check, so you’ll know exactly how much money you’ll have in hand when you leave the store.
What Are the Amscot Check Cashing Fees?
How much does Amscot charge to cash a check…? (Note that rates may be different at the Miami-Dade and Broward Amscot branches.)
Payroll Check Cashing Rates
$1,000 or higher: 2.0%
$1,500.00 or higher: 2.9%
Tax Refund Checks
Cashiers & Insurance Checks
$5,000 or higher: 4.9%
Amscot Money Orders
All Other Payroll and Handwritten Checks
The rate varies by the geographic location of the branch.
Personal Checks and Money Orders
The above information and more can be found on this page of the Amscot website.
Don’t like the Amscot Check Cashing Rates? Here Are Alternative Options for Getting a Check Cashed:
Amscot is one option among many when it comes to check cashing. While Amscot has plenty of locations, maybe there isn’t one convenient to where you live or work, or maybe you’ll be heading to one of these places to do some shopping anyway — so you might as well get your check cashed too. Remember that each of these places, with very few exceptions, will require a valid government issued photo ID (like a driver’s license, passport, military ID, state ID, etc.) in order to cash a check, so be sure to bring one with you.
Here are a list of additional stores that cash checks, and all the important details that you need to know before you arrive.
- Important note: Check cashing services are only available at 7-Eleven locations with a V-Com/Cardtronics ATM or kiosk.
- Types of checks cashed: Payroll, cashiers, income tax refund, government, insurance settlement checks, and money orders.
- Check-cashing fee(s): 1% of total check amount, with a $200 limit per 24 hours.
- Read all about 7-Eleven’s check-cashing policies here.
- Find your closest 7-Eleven store here.
ACE Cash Express
- Types of checks cashed: Payroll, personal, checks made payable to a company, income tax refund, government, and insurance settlement checks, money orders, “and more.”
- Check-cashing fee(s): 3% of the total check amount.
- Read all about ACE Cash Express’ check-cashing policies here.
- Find your closest ACE Cash Express here.
- Types of checks cashed: Payroll and government checks up to $5,000.
- Check-cashing fee(s): $3 for a $2,000 check, and $5 for a check up to $5,000.
- Read all about Fred Meyer’s check-cashing policies here.
- Find your closest Fred Meyer here.
- Types of checks cashed: Payroll, tax refund, and government checks up to $2,000, as well as two-party personal checks up to $500.
- Check-cashing fee(s): $1 or less. No fee in CT, DE, GA, NJ, NV, PA, PR, SC, WA, and GU. $0.50 fees in IL and RI.
- Read all about Kmart’s check-cashing policies here.
- Find your closest Kmart here.
- Types of checks cashed: Payroll, tax checks, government checks, cashier’s checks, insurance settlement checks, retirement reimbursement checks, and MoneyGram orders that were purchased at Walmart up to $5,000. No personal checks accepted.
- Check-cashing fee(s): $3 for checks up to $1,000, and $6 for checks from $1,001 to $5,000.
- Read all about Walmart’s check-cashing policies here.
- Find your closest Walmart here.
- Types of checks cashed: Payroll checks only, with a maximum amount of $1,000.
- Check-cashing fee(s): $5 for checks of $500 or lower. $10 for checks between $500-$1,000. However, you can redeem the fees when you spend $25-$50 at WinCo.
- Read all about WinCo’s check-cashing policies here.
- Find your closest WinCo here.
Amscot Check Cashing: Conclusion
How much does Amscot charge to cash a check? Does Amscot cash personal checks? Fees vary but fees are clearly stated. We hope you find this resource useful and that it makes your day a little bit easier. Maybe Amscot check cashing is the right service for you. Amscot check cashing rates are pretty competitive for the industry.