This article is all about how to get cash back at Target. You will quickly find answers to the following questions and more:
Does Target do cash back?
How much cash back can you get at Target?
Many people enjoy shopping at Target, but if you’d like to get cash back there, you’ll need to be aware of Target’s official cash back policies for using a credit card, debit card, check, or gift card.
The information in this article was obtained by speaking with representatives from Target Corporate and Target stores around the country. Below our information about Target, you’ll find the cash back policies of similar retailers, including Walmart, CVS, and even the U.S. Post Office.
Included in This Article:
Getting Cash Back at Target Using: Credit Cards, Debit Cards, Checks, and Gift Cards
Getting Cash from an ATM within Target
Other Places that Offer Cash Back: Walmart, CVS, and the US Post Office
Getting Cash Back at Target
Does Target give cash back? At most stores, Target offers cash back up to $40 with transactions paid by check or debit card.
Since the Target website doesn’t have any information about this topic, we at First Quarter Finance spoke to Target Corporate to find out more about cash back policies at Target stores throughout the United States. The representatives we contacted were well-informed and gave specific, detailed information about Target’s cash back policies for credit cards, debit cards, checks, and Target gift cards, which you’ll find below.
Getting Cash Back at Target with a Credit Card (Including a Target RED Credit Card)
Target does NOT offer cash back when you use a credit card, even if you’re using a Target RED credit card. However, Target does offer cash advances on the Target MasterCard. With a Target MasterCard, you can take out a cash advance at an ATM or in person at a bank, money transfer service, or a casino. You’ll need a PIN to use a Target MasterCard at an ATM. You can manage your PIN on Target’s website, according to the REDcard FAQs. If you can’t remember your Target MasterCard PIN or need to set one up, visit the REDcard page, choose “Easy Activation and Card Management,” and log in; then select “Account Services,” followed by “Manage Your PIN.”
Getting Cash Back at Target with a Debit Card (Including a Target RED Debit Card)
Target offers cash back when you use a debit card, including a Target RED debit card. Target will not charge you a fee for this service, but your bank might. There’s no set minimum for cash back with debit card purchases, and the maximum amount of cash back you can get with a debit card is typically $40 (although these limits may vary by store). Be aware that your debit card/checking account may have a daily limit on how much you can withdraw. You can ask for cash back at the register and your Target cashier will provide it to you.
A cash back option is not always available at self check-outs, and if it is, it is sometimes available only in limited denominations; it’s a good idea to check with an attendant before you try to get cash back with a debit card from a self-checkout.
Getting Cash Back at Target Using a Check
Target offers cash back when you use a personal or business check. Target will not charge you a fee, but your bank might. Limits may vary by store location, but the maximum amount of cash back you can receive with a check is typically $40 per transaction. Be aware that your checking account may have a daily limit on how much you can withdraw.
To get cash back with a check, you’ll simply overwrite the total on the check for the desired amount and let the cashier know that you’re requesting cash back. The cashier can then provide you with the specified amount of cash back. Cash back with a check is typically not available at self-checkouts.
Getting Cash Back at Target Using a Target Gift Card
A representative from Target Corporate verified that only some states offer cash back for a Target gift card. In order to get cash back, the total amount on your gift card must not exceed the state’s maximum cash back limit. Depending on the state, your gift card may have no more than $0.99 to $9.99 remaining on the card (if cashing it out is possible at all). Cashing out a Target gift card is possible in the following states and according to the following limits:
- California: $9.99 maximum left on your gift card
- Colorado: $4.99 maximum
- Maine: $4.00 maximum
- Massachusetts: $4.99 maximum (verified by calling guest services at Target’s Boston South Bay location and Target Corporate)
- Montana: $4.99 maximum, but Target is not required to give you cash back if the original gift card load was $5.00 or less
- New Jersey: $4.99 maximum left on your gift card, but Target is not required to give you cash back until at least part of the card value has been redeemed
- Oregon: $4.99 maximum, but Target is not required to give you cash back until at least part of the card value has been redeemed; you also cannot use the card online and then get cash back in the store for the remaining balance, even if $4.99 or less remains on the card
- Rhode Island: $0.99 maximum (verified through calling guest services at Target’s Bald Hill Plaza location and Target Corporate)
- Texas: $2.49 maximum
- Vermont: $0.99 maximum
- Washington: $4.99 maximum
Some store managers will not offer cash back at specific locations, even if a state officially allows cash back up to a certain amount. For example, the Colorado Springs East Super Target does not allow customers to cash out Target gift cards, no matter how small the amount on the card. If your Target does allow cash back for gift cards, you can ask for cash back at the register, present your gift card with the appropriate balance, and your Target cashier will provide the cash to you.
Getting Cash from an ATM within Target
If you don’t have checks or a gift card with you, you can still get cash at Target if your Target has an ATM. Although there’s no way to check online whether or not your local Target has an ATM (through the Target store locator, for example), you can call your local Target and ask to speak to guest services.
If your local Target does have an ATM, you’ll need to be aware of whether or not your bank reimburses ATM fees for ATMs outside of its network, and, if they do, the maximum amount of fees they’ll reimburse each month. Target will not charge any additional fees beyond what the ATM’s service provider (i.e., the bank who owns the ATM) charges to those who are not members or part of its network.
Similar Stores That Offer Cash Back
Cash Back Policies at Walmart
Representatives at the Walmart MasterCard corporate office and the Walmart corporate headquarters verified the following information about getting cash back at Walmart.
- Credit cards: Customers may withdraw up to $100 cash per day in $20 increments using a Walmart MasterCard at any Walmart location; alternatively, customers may use Walmart’s in-store credit card, or PLCC (personal line credit card), to withdraw up to $100. Customers may only use these options to withdraw up to a total of $100, not $100 per card. Customers may also use a Discover card for cash back; limits for this type of transaction may vary by store.
- Debit cards: Customers may withdraw up to $100 in cash per day using a debit card.
- Checks: Customers may withdraw up to $20 cash per day using a check.
- Gift cards: Customers may not cash out gift cards at Walmart or exchange part of their balance for cash back in any way.
- Find the Walmart nearest to you.
Cash Back Policies at CVS
A corporate customer service representative verified the following information about getting cash back at CVS.
- Credit cards: Customers cannot withdraw cash using a credit card.
- Debit cards: Customers may withdraw up to $40 cash using a debit card in increments of $10, $20, and $40. The limit is $35 at some locations. We recommend you ask the cashier about restrictions on cash back when you’re making your purchase.
- Checks: Customers may NOT withdraw cash using a check. However, customers may still pay for their purchases with a check.
- Gift cards: Customers may not get cash back on a gift card purchase, and they cannot cash out a gift card no matter how low the balance.
- Other notes: If you’re getting a refund on a debit card or check purchase, that refund is payable in cash.
- Find the CVS location nearest to you.
Cash Back Policies at the U.S. Post Office
A representative at the U.S. Post Office Headquarters verified the following information about getting cash back at USPS locations.
- Credit cards: Customers may NOT get cash back using a credit card.
- Debit cards: Customers may get up to $50 cash back per day using a debit card.
- Checks: Customers may NOT withdraw cash using a check. However, customers may still pay for their purchases.
- Find the U.S. Post Office nearest you.
If you’re hoping to use a debit card or check to get cash back, Target is a convenient place to do just that, provided you don’t need more than $40. At Target, you can shop for groceries, pickup prescriptions, use the photo center, or even get an eye exam. Because you can also get cash back at Target, you won’t waste any time driving to multiple places, like the bank, as you run your errands.