How much do senior pictures cost? Knowing the prices for senior pictures means you’ll know what’s a good deal and what senior portrait companies still have their prices stuck in the 20th century.
In This Article
What is typically included with senior portrait packages?
What is the average cost of senior pictures?
Where do you find good photographers who charge fair senior portrait pricing?
How can you save money on senior pictures but still have them look exceptional?
How to take your own high quality senior pictures.
When to Start Pricing Senior Picture Photographers
The last year of high school is busy. So it’s good to start thinking about your senior photos early. Ask any photographer – the senior picture season starts officially the summer after junior year. Photographers get booked early and there’s a lot of planning to be done.
Where to Find Good Senior Portrait Photographers
A list of great local photographers ordered by location. Exactly what you need. Sites like those below or similar are fantastic for finding photographers:
- Photography Directory Project
- Photo Shelter
- Photographers’ Black Book
- Photo Links
- USA Photography Directory
Word of Mouth
Don’t forget to ask people who’ve been there before! If you have family friends with kids who’ve recently had senior pictures done, ask them for the details. Maybe they negotiated a great rate and you can get the photographer to match it? Maybe somebody has a friend or relative that they can recommend?
You can either search for senior portrait photographers on these platforms or post wanted ads:Craigslist, Gumtree, Facebook, Twitter, your blog, your local newspaper, your community noticeboard and other local options. Write a description of what you’re looking for (include sample photos of what you want yours to look like) with your contact details and a deadline.
How much do senior pictures cost? And what is the average cost of senior pictures?
What is the average cost of senior pictures? Senior picture prices vary based on everything from locations, outfits, number of poses and number of people photographed, not to mention the number of photos and how they’re presented to you – as prints of assorted sizes, in a book, as a collage, digitally… There’s loads to bear in mind, and they don’t always come cheap. Here are some common senior portrait pricing plans you will come across…
Bowdoin Photography – an experienced Maine-based company
- Session fee of $175 reserves a two hour slot
- Over 200 pictures taken with a variety of locations and outfit changes
- Print portrait packages from $299 – $549, or a CD package at $159
Kelly Weaver Photography – based in Denver
- Print package options between $125 and $675
- Digital package options between $1,295 and $1,995
- Higher priced packages include more poses, outfits, locations and the option to have a complementary family shoot
J. Tori Photography – a California photography company which has been nationally recognized
- Minimalist, Fashion, Model and Experience senior photo packages
- Package sessions from $265 to $595, with a minimum purchase of $625 to $2,550
- With the Experience package you get your behind-the-scenes footage made into a music video
Ann Latinovich Photography – a Chicago-based photography studio
- Portrait collections start from $395 all-in
- ALP offers studio or on-location shoots to capture you
Using this mix of value and high-end photographers from around the country (and choosing the cheapest senior portrait package) we end up with a national average cost of senior pictures of $318.
Prices vary! From national budget companies to award-winning local firms, there are lots of options. And according to the Washington Post senior pictures and prices are always evolving. We will keep this article up-to-date.
The Finished Product
A good photographer will help you discuss everything from poses to final prints. If you are hiring a photographer, you can expect to pay at least $300.
Slash the Average Cost of Senior Pictures with DIY Senior Portraits
Cheap senior pictures can even turn out better than expensive ones if you work hard at getting the following right:
Locations – Think of a few places that would provide a nice background for your shots.
Clothing – It’s not all about splashing out on expensive and luxurious outfits. Have a dig around in your closet, and ask siblings / friends for a loan too. Maybe you could rework something you already own?
Hair (+ Make Up) – there are tons of tutorials on Pinterest and YouTube which are super easy to follow at home.
Lighting – If it’s cloudy or indoors you will need to think about getting the correct equipment so you’re photos aren’t under or overexposed.
Camera / Equipment – You can rent cameras and equipment from borrowlenses.com with prices starting from $60 for three days. If you know someone who is keen on photography you could ask to borrow their camera – or ask them to do the shots!
DIY Senior Picture Prices
If you can use what you already have for locations, clothing, hair and make up, you could be looking at $10 or less if you were to take your own senior pictures.
Things to Keep in Mind in Order to Get the Most out of Your Senior Portrait Packages:
- Research local photographers and check out their work beforehand (listen to word of mouth too!)
- Book your senior portrait packages early.
- Bring your own ideas – your photographer will do everything they can do accommodate
- Bring a selection of clothing and make up (if such services aren’t included in your package) just in case
- Check the weather if you’re planning an outdoor shoot
To recap, how much do senior pictures cost? About $320 for a basic professional package and about $100 if you DIY and must buy some basic equipment/hire a freelancer. Senior portrait packages aren’t very expensive (compared with the upcoming college tuition). So cheap senior pictures are attainable. And remember that senior picture prices are usually an expense free of regret. Enjoy!