Do you have a closet full of barely worn clothes that you’d like to turn into extra cash? If you’ve looked for somewhere to sell your gently worn clothing, you’ve probably come across Poshmark. This company is known for being the “new way to buy and sell fashion.” Users can list and sell items in under a minute, things like high-end clothing and name brand purses. But Poshmark is far from the only company of its kind. There are many sites like Poshmark and apps like Poshmark.
Numerous other online businesses use a similar model, where users can sell their secondhand clothing and accessories. Here, we’ve compiled all the details on sites like Poshmark regarding items sold and the use of an online marketplace model to connect buyers and sellers, instead of a brick-and-mortar storefront. Read on for everything you need to know about Poshmark alternatives.
Included in This Article
A List of Resale Websites like Poshmark and Apps like Poshmark
What the Website/App Specializes in Selling
Fees for Buyers and Sellers
How Shipping and Labeling Is Handled
Where to Find More Information About Each Site like Poshmark or App like Poshmark
Consignment versus Upfront Payments
You’ll notice that some companies specify whether sellers will be paid upfront or on consignment. Upfront payments are pretty straightforward — if the business accepts the item, the seller receives payment then and there. With consignment models, the company lists an item on their website and only pays the seller if the item sells. If no one purchases the item, the seller does not receive payment. It’s important to understand how and when you’ll see your money, so be sure you know how companies handle payout before you send anything away. Sites like Poshmark don’t always do things the same way.
The List of Resale Websites and Apps like Poshmark
For reference, let’s start with the stats on Poshmark:
- Types of items sold: High-end name brands of clothing, purses, makeup, and shoes.
- Fees for buyers: Free to join. Buyer pays flat rate USPS shipping ($5.95).
- Fees for sellers: For sales under $15, Poshmark keeps a flat rate of $2.95. For sales over $15, the seller keeps 80% and Poshmark retains 20%.
- Listing style: It takes 60 seconds to upload an item to sell and the listings last indefinitely until purchased. Poshmark recommends sharing and joining Posh Parties, so more people see the listing.
- How shipping is handled: Once an item sells, Poshmark provides a prepaid, pre-addressed label to the seller to print. Items can be dropped off in USPS boxes or even picked up from a home address by USPS. The buyer pays for shipping.
- Refund policy: Buyers can receive refunds for products that never arrive or are not as described.
- Find out more on the Poshmark website.
- Types of items sold: Trendy, name-brand clothing, and accessories for both men and women.
- Fees for buyers: No fees for buyers, but they must purchase the items in-person.
- Fees for sellers: Sellers can bring clothing to a physical Crossroads location or request a pre-paid shipping bag to send items to a Crossroads store. Crossroads pays sellers 30% cash or 50% trade credit of the store price. It costs $15 to have unpurchased items returned to the seller.
- Listing style: Crossroads purchases items from sellers upfront and takes care of selling all the items at in-person locations. The seller does not have to deal with any part of the sale after Crossroads buys the items.
- How shipping is handled: Sellers request a prepaid shipping bag, which is sent to the seller’s house. The seller then fills the bag and sends it back to Crossroads, where the items will be evaluated for resale. Crossroads will send a check for the items that are purchased.
- Refund policy: Buyers purchase in-store and can return directly to the store, in accordance with standard policies. Sellers who send in items that are not used for resale can have the items shipped back to them for an additional fee, or have Crossroads donate the leftover items to charity.
- Find out more on the Crossroads website.
- Types of items sold: Men’s clothing and accessories.
- Fees for buyers: No fee for buyers. Making an account and shopping at Grailed is free.
- Fees for sellers: Free to list. Grailed takes 6% commission when an item sells, plus applicable PayPal fees. Discounted rates are available for sellers who sell several items and contact Grailed about a fee reduction.
- Listing style: Auction-style listings, where buyers make an offer to the seller. The seller can accept multiple offers from different buyers, so buyers must act fast and pay quickly to claim the item. The buyer that has an accepted offer and pays first is the winner of the auction.
- How shipping is handled: Sellers choose the shipping rate, which is described clearly on the listing page for buyers to see. Sellers ship the item themselves after the purchaser pays for the item.
- Refund policy: All transactions are conducted through PayPal, which guarantees protection for both buyers and sellers. Grailed has a zero tolerance fraud policy, and users who do not follow the rules are promptly banned.
- Find out more on the Grailed website.
3. Material World
- Types of items sold: Designer women’s fashions (excellent condition and styles within five years). Material World also sells new items.
- Fees for buyers: No fees. Making an account and shopping at Material World is free.
- Fees for sellers: Material World makes an offer for each item, which the seller can choose to accept or reject. If an offer is not accepted, the item will be shipped back to the seller for free.
- Listing style: Material World purchases items from sellers upfront and lists them on the website for resale.
- How shipping is handled: Shipping is always paid by Material World. Sellers request a free trade-in kit to send in items.
- Refund policy: Buyers can return items like any other online retailer, because items are purchased directly from Material World.
- Find out more on the Material World website.
- Types of items sold: Designer handbags.
- Fees for buyers: No fees. Making an account and shopping at Rebagg is free. Purchases are made through Rebagg, not directly from the seller.
- Fees for sellers: No fees. Offers can be accepted or denied, and shipping is always free.
- Listing style: Rebagg purchases items from sellers upfront and lists them on the website for resale.
- How shipping is handled: Sellers can get free pickups in New York City, or request a free prepaid shipping box anywhere in the United States. Rebagg makes their offer via photos, so sellers only send in items they know will be accepted.
- Refunds policy: Buyers can return items like any other online retailer, because items are purchased directly from Rebagg.
- Find out more on the Rebagg website.
- Types of items sold: Women’s high-end fashion clothing and accessories.
- Fees for buyers: No fees. Resee operates just like any other online retail store. Making an account and shopping at Resee is free.
- Fees for sellers: Resee promises sellers up to 70% commission on items sold. Sellers negotiate with Resee before sending items to be sold.
- Listing style: Consignment. Resee does all the listing and pays the seller when an item is sold.
- How shipping is handled: Seller pays to ship every item to Resee. Resee prefers collections over individual items.
- Refund policy: Buyers can return items like any other online retailer, because items are purchased directly from Resee.
- Find out more on the Resee website.
- Types of items sold: Women’s and children’s clothing, handbags, and accessories.
- Fees for buyers: No fees. Making an account and shopping at ThredUP is free.
- Fees for sellers: Depends on items sold, but ThredUP has a payout estimator tool on the company’s website.
- Listing style: Both consignment (for items listed over $60) and upfront (items listed under $60). Items are listed for 84 days.
- How shipping is handled: Sellers request a Clean Out Kit, which costs $9.99 and includes shipping, processing fees, and the listing with professional photography on the ThredUP website.
- Refund policy: Free returns for buyers. Unsold items can be donated or returned to the seller.
- Find out more on the ThredUP website.
- Types of items sold: Designer women’s clothing, shoes, accessories, bags, and wedding items.
- Fees for buyers: No fees. Making an account and shopping at Tradesy is free.
- Fees for sellers: Free to list and free shipping for sellers. Tradesy deducts a 14.9% commission on the sale price. An additional 2.9% will be charged to transfer that money to Paypal, a debit card, or bank account. This extra fee will not be charged if the earnings are spent within Tradesy.
- Listing style: Buyers purchase items directly from the seller through the website.
- How shipping is handled: Free shipping kits for sellers after an item is sold (except for wedding items), which include beautiful packaging.
- Refund policy: Free returns for buyers (except for items labeled final sale). Sellers do not send items until purchased.
- Find out more on the Tradesy website.
8. The Real Real
- Types of items sold: Women’s and men’s clothing, jewelry, watches, and even home items.
- Fees for buyers: No fees. Making an account and shopping at The Real Real is free.
- Fees for sellers: Sellers will earn up to 70% of the sale price of items. The Real Real takes a commission of 30%.
- Listing style: Consignment. The seller ships items to The Real Real and then items are sold directly to buyers. Sellers receive payment when their items sell.
- How shipping is handled: Sellers request a free FedEx shipping kit. Buyers pay for shipping directly from The Real Real. Free in-home pickup for sellers is available in 21 cities.
- Refund policy: Standard refund policy for buyers because the transaction takes place directly through The Real Real. Items are returned to the sellers if not sold.
- Find out more on The Real Real website.
9. Recycle Your Fashions
- Types of items sold: Both women’s and men’s designer clothing.
- Fees for buyers: No fees, but most transactions occur through eBay.
- Fees for sellers: Sellers receive 50% of the final selling price for each item.
- Listing style: Consignment. Sellers are paid when their items are sold.
- How shipping is handled: After Recycle Your Fashions accepts the items through an online review process, the seller requests a USPS prepaid shipping label.
- Refund policy: Buyers can return items directly to Recycle Your Fashions. If an item does not sell, Recycle Your Fashions keeps the item, or the seller can request the item to be sent back at the seller’s expense.
- Find out more on the Recycle Your Fashions website.
Sites Like Poshmark, Apps like Poshmark: Final Thoughts
You now have the list of sites like Poshmark and apps like Poshmark. There are also plenty of other ways to sell your clothes, if you don’t see an option listed here that suits you. If you’re interested in selling handmade items and accessories, check out our article about selling on Etsy. Now get out there and start buying and selling gently used fashion items!