Do you love your job? Are you studying to be in the right career? We have the list of 20 signs you’ve chosen the right career. Just ask yourself: Would you do your job even if you weren’t being paid? Are you constantly pushing the limits of your job description? Does your work make you smile? If you answered yes, you’re on the right track.
What Do You Do?
Career. I almost don’t like that word. It reminds me of high school when teachers with good intentions would tell me and my classmates: “You need to get good grades so you can get a good career.” A career seems so boring — and permanent.
That’s probably because the typical career consists of a grown man/woman working 40-hour weeks for about 40 years and then dying. That’s a sad road, and one I’m not headed down — and neither are you if you’re reading this blog.
But, if I were to walk up to you and ask you what you do, your answer would describe your primary job that makes up the majority of your income — be that freelance writing, blogging, whatever. (Don’t worry, if you don’t have a “career” yet, this post will still be useful.)
I’ve had my fair share of exposure to different careers. I’ve also read a ton of self-improvement type books that look into the minds of wealthy people who enjoy their work. Then I sought to find a career that would make me happy. This list is how I feel about my work. Can you relate?
20 Signs You’ve Chosen the Right Career
1. You would do your job even if you weren’t being paid. Or you’re at least in a field that some people are in just for fun ie: maybe you’re a blogger. Lots of bloggers blog just for fun but if you’re making a career out of it… you’re doing quite alright.
2. You don’t want time to go by quickly at work because you enjoy seeing how much you can accomplish in a day.
3. You love explaining what you do with people — even if it’s over their heads, you can’t help but keep talking.
4. Working more than 40 hours per week excites you rather than angers you.
5. The entire industry interests you, not just your particular role.
6. Mondays are fun — another day to do what you love.
7. You daydream about what your future career growth will look like.
8. You’re really good at what you do — whether you’re talented or have worked hard to develop a skill, you’re good. Suggested Article: 15+ Careers Where Women Outperform Men
9. You get so excited about a current project you find it hard to sleep.
10. Your excitement for the day wakes you up — not an annoying alarm clock.
11. You have stopped dead in your tracks and said quietly in disbelief: “I cannot believe I am getting paid to do this.”
12. You find it hard to outsource tasks because each task is like a baby that you think needs your full attention.
13. You eagerly say “yes” to a project before even knowing exactly how the task will be accomplished.
14. You’re constantly pushing the limits of your job description.
15. You can trick yourself into eating healthy because you’re so busy working you hardly notice the bag of carrots you just demolished with your left hand while somehow typing mostly with your right hand.
16. When you meet someone else who loves the same career, you fantasize about marrying them.
17. When someone asks, “What would you be doing if you weren’t doing this?” you have no good answer for them.
18. When someone asks what you’ve done lately, you have quantifiable answers for them: 1. I won four new clients, 2. I raised my rate to $70/hour, 3. I hired a VA, etc.
19. Badmouthing the competition has no place on your to-do list; your track record compared with theirs speaks volumes.
20. Your work makes you smile!
I’ve been working really long hours lately. Some people appear to feel sorry for me. But why? I believe it’s because most people dislike their chosen career and they must think I am as miserable as they are. But no one should be miserable. Life is way too short to do anything you don’t love. If this list isn’t relatable to you, please find a new career! If you haven’t yet started a career, think of this list when exploring your options.
Suggested Next Article: Legitimate Jobs You Can Do From Home