Barnes & Noble doesn’t offer a student discount, corporate customer service representatives said. We spoke to store associates in Arkansas, Florida, and Massachusetts, who confirmed that the retailer doesn’t have a discount for students. Barnes & Noble does offer a sales tax refund on textbook purchases for students in certain states. Textbooks are only sold on the Barnes & Noble website, not in stores. The states that offer the textbook tax refund are Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
Below we’ve outlined a few other ways you can save at Barnes & Noble, along with similar stores that do offer student discounts.
Other Ways to Save
While Barnes & Noble doesn’t offer a student discount, there are a few other ways you can save at the store. These include:
- B&N Membership: Membership costs $25 per year. You get 10% off all in-store purchases, 40% off hardcover bestsellers purchased in-store, free shipping on all orders, plus other perks.
- Email updates: You can get special offers and updates in your inbox. You can sign up via the Barnes & Noble website.
- Sale section: This section of Barnes & Noble’s website features items on sale.
Student Discounts at Similar Stores
There are a few other booksellers that offer student discounts. These include:
- Amazon (Paid partner link): Amazon offers Prime Student, a half-price Prime membership, which includes a six-month free trial and exclusive college deals.
- Book Outlet: 10% off for high school and college students ages 16 or older
For other places with student discounts, see our list of over 100 stores with student discounts.