Ingo Money is a popular smartphone app that allows you to cash a check whenever and wherever you like. Several digital banking and check cashing apps also use Ingo’s technology in their own programs. However, there are some check cashing apps, including The Check Cashing Store and AnytimeCheck, that do not use Ingo and that may give you your money in a less expensive or more convenient way. Below, we list the check cashing apps that don’t use Ingo.
What We Recommend
While the exact technology and fees will vary by bank, downloading your own bank’s mobile app will likely be the best option for virtually depositing checks. However, if you don’t have a bank account or if your bank’s mobile app doesn’t have the features you want, The Check Cashing Store also offers an app that allows you to deposit checks to a linked bank account or a prepaid debit card, and its fees are comparable to those charged by Ingo Money.
The Ingo Money app allows users to deposit a check anywhere in the world, as well as transfer the funds to linked bank accounts, credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards, PayPal accounts, Amazon gift cards, and brick-and-mortar MoneyGram locations. Ingo’s fees start at $5 and increase depending on the size and type of the check.
While similar apps like ACE Mobile Loads and Brink’s Prepaid use some or all of Ingo’s technology, others don’t, and the check cashing apps that don’t use Ingo sometimes have lower fees. We list these apps below, starting with the best overall options.
1. Your Bank’s Mobile App
Most banks have mobile apps that allow account holders to virtually deposit checks. The technology used, compatible platforms, and fees will vary depending on your bank, but you will likely find the lowest fees with your own bank’s app. You can look at the app’s details to find out if it uses Ingo Money technology. Our related research has more about bank check cashing apps.
2. The Check Cashing Store
- Deposit location: Bank account or Momentum Prepaid Debit Card
- Fees: Fees range from $5 up to 10% of the total check amount.
- Other information: The Check Cashing Store app allows you to find Check Cashing Store locations.
- Download the app for Apple or Android
- Deposit location: Linked U.S. bank account
- Fees: AnytimeCheck fees are package-based rather than charged individually by check. Prices range from about $20 to receive or send 10 checks, up to about $100 to receive or send 75 checks. Combination send-and-receive packages can also be purchased at a lower per-check price.
- Other information: AnytimeCheck is a combined check writing/check-depositing service designed for subscribers to send and receive checks on mobile, web, or phone.
- Download the app (Android only)
- Deposit location: Waleteros Prepaid Visa only
- Fees: Fees vary depending on whether you select a pay-per-use or pay-by-month schedule. The pay-by-month schedule incurs a monthly fee of about $5, as well as a $2 fee for international ATMs or those not in the “Plus Alliance” ATM network. The pay-by-use schedule charges $1 for card-to-card transfers and PIN purchases, plus $2 for all ATM withdrawals. All customers are subject to $10 card replacement fees, express shipping fees, and balance refund fees.
- Other information: Aimed at American residents with relatives in Central America, Waleteros offers one-time $0.99 transfers to various cash-pickup locations in Mexico, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Nicaragua at the start of each month.
- Download the app (Android only)
- The Check Cashing store customer service (877) 460-3484