Ingo Money is a popular smartphone app that allows you to cash a check whenever and wherever you like. Several digital banking and check cashing apps also use Ingo’s technology in their own programs.
However, there are some check cashing apps, including The Check Cashing Store and Stash, that don’t use Ingo and that may give you your money in a less expensive or more convenient way.
Below, we list the check cashing apps that don’t use Ingo.
What We Recommend
While the exact technology and fees will vary by bank, getting your own bank’s mobile app will likely be the best option for virtually depositing checks.
However, if you don’t have a bank account or if your bank’s mobile app doesn’t have the features you want, The Check Cashing Store also offers an app that allows you to deposit checks to a linked bank account or a prepaid debit card, and its fees are comparable to those charged by Ingo Money.
The Ingo Money app allows users to deposit a check anywhere in the world, as well as transfer the funds to linked bank accounts, credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards, PayPal accounts, Amazon gift cards, and brick-and-mortar MoneyGram locations.
Ingo’s fees start at $5 for instant deposit and increase depending on the size and type of the check. However, you can have funds deposited to your bank, Paypal, or a prepaid card at no cost if you agree to wait 10 days.
While similar apps like ACE Mobile Loads and Brink’s Prepaid use some or all of Ingo’s technology, others don’t, and the check cashing apps that don’t use Ingo sometimes have lower fees. We list these apps below, starting with the best overall options.
1. Your Bank’s Mobile App
Most banks have mobile apps that allow account holders to deposit checks virtually. The technology used, compatible platforms, and fees will vary depending on your bank, but you will likely find the lowest fees with your own bank’s app.
You can look at the app’s details to find out if it uses Ingo Money technology. Our related research has more about bank check cashing apps.
2. The Check Cashing Store
- Deposit location: Bank account, Momentum Prepaid MasterCard, or personal Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or prepaid debit card
- Fees: Standard fees vary by state
- Other information: The Check Cashing Store app allows you to view your account balance and transaction history.
- Get the iOS app
- Deposit location: Stash bank account or external bank account
- Fees: None
- Other information: To qualify for mobile deposit, you must have an active checking account that has received at least three payroll direct deposits. You must also activate the Stock-Back Card that will be sent to you through the mail. Then you will need to verify your identity and phone number, as well as accept its terms and conditions. The maximum amount you can deposit per day is $10,000; the maximum amount per month is $20,000.
- Get the Android app
- Get the iOS app