If you’re a woman, you’ve likely heard of Avon. The beauty company, which aims to empower women and help them discover their true beauty and strength, is the second-largest direct selling company in the world.
Avon has been in existence for 130 years, so you likely have a family member or friend who sells Avon products at some point. Avon is a multi-level marketing company, which means that you can receive profits from multiple revenue streams.
While many women have enjoyed success by selling Avon products, some people are looking for a work from home opportunity that better suits their interests, with items that their friends and colleagues are more likely purchase. Perhaps you already have several friends who sell Avon and are trying to find a different niche. For these reasons and more, we’ve created this list of companies like Avon you may want to consider.
Fortunately, there are many companies like Avon, as well as companies with similar perks that sell different products. If you or someone you know is looking to make an income while staying home with the kids — or if you simply hate commuting — or for any other reason — here are some opportunities to try. Let’s start with Avon first for reference when comparing:
For Reference When Comparing
- Year founded: 1886
- Types of items sold: Cosmetics, perfume, clothing, and toys
- How it works: With the KickStart Program, you choose from three kits that will help you get up and running. These kits are fairly inexpensive and start as low as $25. You will get your own free eStore so customers can shop with you 24/7. You will earn as much as 40% on sales. With the Kickstart Program, you can make more than $1,000 in as little as 90 days.
- Startup fees: $25 and up.
- How to become a seller: Fill out the form and you can become a seller in as little as five minutes.
- Seller reviews: “It’s great that you can set your own work schedule. You can sell to everyone everywhere! Always meeting new people, either new customers, recruits or other sales representatives. To advance it’s pretty simple but you have to be consistent and love to sell and deal with people.” — Anonymous reviewer on Indeed.com
- Visit the Avon website for more information
Companies like Avon Without Startup Fees
- Year founded: 1979
- Types of items sold: Linen World sells linens, home decor, kitchen products, toys and organizational solutions.
- How it works: Earn 20% commission on sales. Host parties, advertise your business through social media or hold fundraising events.
- Startup fees: You can join Linen World as a distributor absolutely free! There are no hidden fees or startup costs.
- How to become a seller: Fill out the form on their website and someone will contact you shortly so you can start making money.
- Seller reviews: “I sold a bunch of Linen World products for Christmas and was happy to make some extra cash.” — Kathy
- Visit the Linen World website for more information
- Year founded: 1988
- Types of items sold: Handmade personalized jewelry
- How it works: You can get up and running in minutes. You don’t need to buy kits or build a website. Just sign up and you can start selling right away. You’ll receive 25% commission on everything you sell.
- Startup fees: You can join for free, but your commission will be reduced to 10%. For the paying version, you will pay a one-time setup fee of $19.95, plus $12.95 a month.
- How to become a seller: Go here and click the Start Now button to sign up.
- Seller reviews: “There is nothing like “Club Bella!” I wear Michele’s jewelry to my son’s school and get stopped all the time! I hand them a biz card and they go shopping at my website. It’s so easy!” — Kendra
- Visit the Bella Branch website for more information
Companies like Avon with Startup Fees
Rodan + Fields
- Year founded: 2007
- Types of items sold: Skincare products created by dermatologists
- How it works: You earn money through retail profit, commissions, and performance bonuses. The company also offers incentives, such as trips.
- Startup fees: $45 for a Business Portfolio.
- How to become a seller: You must have a sponsor, which is someone who introduces you to the product and who is willing to help you start and grow your business. You will enter your sponsor information and continue with the enrollment process.
- Seller reviews: “Goal setting, management of a team, excellent customer service, marketing, training and support to the finest!” — Anonymous review on Glassdoor.com
- Visit the Rodan + Fields website for more information
Jewelry In Candles
- Year founded: 2013
- Types of items sold: Natural soy candles with jewelry inside
- How it works: You earn 20% commission on sales.
- Startup fees: Depends on the package you choose. An e-commerce kit is $19.95 and a starter kit is $99.
- How to become a seller: Visit their website to choose the package of your choice. Once you receive your package, you can start selling.
- Seller reviews: “Great products and great support from corporate and other reps love working for this company.” — Anonymous reviewer from Indeed.com
- Visit the Jewelry In Candles website for more information
Other Multi-Level Marketing Companies to Consider Which Function like Avon
- Year founded: 1976
- Types of items sold: Candles, home décor, and gifts
- How it works: You sell products primarily through parties and online orders. You receive a 25% commission. If you host one party (with sales of $350) and get one order ($50 or more) per week, you can expect to earn $100 per week. With three parties and four online orders per week, you can earn $312.50. If you sell $2,000 or more in one month, you receive a 7% bonus.
- Startup fees: If you hold a party and generate at least $350 in sales, there is no cost to you. Otherwise, a kit costs $99.
- How to become a seller: Click here to join. If you choose to join for free, you’ll need to connect with a consultant in your area in order to proceed.
- Seller reviews: “I don’t know where I’d be without PartyLite. I love this career. It’s fun and doesn’t feel like a job.” — Mandy
- Visit the Partylite website for more information
- Year founded: 2004
- Types of items sold: Educational, but fun, games for children
- How it works: Host parties — either in your home or online — and earn 25-42% in commissions. You’ll also receive bonuses and rewards.
- Startup fees: You will need to pay $129 for a kit that includes everything you need to get started.
- How to become a seller: Go to this page. You’ll go through various steps in order to get you up and running quickly.
- Seller reviews: “This is a great opportunity for anyone who loves kids and is looking to find a way to start their own business.” — Dathanmas
- Visit the Simply Fun website for more information
- Year founded: 2014
- Types of items sold: Kits which provide the materials for you to make wreaths, gloves, jewelry, placemats, and home decor.
- How it works: You receive 20-25% commission based on sales. The more you sell, the more commission you receive. For every sale, you receive points, which can be redeemed for gift cards.
- Startup fees: $50 for a welcome kit
- How to become a seller: Click here to apply on their website. In just one to two business days, you’ll receive a welcome email with instructions on how to start earning money.
- Seller reviews: “Apostrophe S is a direct sales company that empowers everyone to become a maker.” — Katie
- Visit the Apostrophe S website for more information
It Works! Global
- Year founded: 2001
- Types of items sold: Body contouring products that can tone and firm any area on the body while reducing the appearance of cellulite
- How it works: You buy the wraps for $14.75 each and sell them for $25. You make $10.25 profit on each wrap. It’s that easy!
- Startup fees: You must purchase an It Works! Sales Kit (cost unknown) and renew your distributor agreement annually ($35 charge). The complete distributor agreement can be found here.
- How to become a seller: Follow this link to fill out the form and learn more about becoming a distributor.
- Seller reviews: “I’m not bound by vacation time or a boss telling me no. I truly own my time now, and time is the one thing you can’t buy.” — Kami Dempsey
- Visit the It Works! website for more information
If you’re looking to make money from the comfort of your home, there’s never been a better time to do so. Feel free to try one of the companies listed above, as most require just a small investment. You won’t have to worry about losing hundreds or thousands of dollars.
However, it’s always advisable you do your own research as well. While some people may make millions of dollars selling products, this is not the norm. Be realistic when choosing to start your own home-based business, especially if you have other commitments. With an investment of your time, money and effort, you may become a successful entrepreneur in no time. Enjoy selling Avon and/or going with one of the many other businesses like Avon we outlined for your consideration.