Dillions cashes government, payroll, tax refund, and insurance settlement checks. It also sells money orders, and will cash money orders issued by Western Union at locations with Money Services. Fees range from around $3 to $6 to cash a check or money order and $0.69 to $1.19 to buy a money order.
Dillons Check Cashing Policy
Dillons cashes a variety of checks for a small service fee.
- Types of checks cashed: Government, payroll, tax refund, insurance settlement, and Western Union money orders.
- Requirements: Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number and a government-issued photo ID.
- Fees: $3.50 for checks $2,000 and less; $6 for checks $2,000.01 to $5,000.
- If you have a Dillons Plus Shoppers card: $3 for checks under $2,000 and $5.50 for checks from $2,000.01 to $5,000.
- Fees may vary based on state and local laws. Confirm fees with your nearby Dillons store.
- Limits: $5,000 per check.
- Hours: Typically 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. but may vary by store. (same as Dillons Money Center hours in general)
- Source: Money Services – Check Cashing page + customer service representatives
This check cashing policy is the same as at other Kroger-owned stores that use Kroger Money Services. These include City Market, King Soopers, Fry’s, Fred Meyer, Owen, Bakers, Ralphs, Pay Less, Gerbes, Smith’s, and QFC.
For more grocery stores that cash checks, see our complete list.
Dillons Money Order Policy
Buying a Money Order
You can purchase a money order at Dillons.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Type of money order: Western Union
- Requirements: You need enough cash to cover the amount of the money order and the added fee. Depending on the specific Dillons location, you may also need a government-issued picture ID. You’ll also need to give the name of the recipient you want listed on the money order.
- Fees: $1.19 per money order.
- If you have a Dillons Plus Shoppers card: $0.69 for each money order.
- Limit: $1,000 per money order.
- Accepted payment: Cash only
- Hours: Typically 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. but may vary by store (same as Dillons Money Center hours in general)
- Source: Money Services – Money Orders page
- Bonus: Before heading to your nearest Dillons for a money order, check the Offers and Coupons page for special, limited-time discounts or coupons on money orders or check cashing services.
- Find your nearest Dillons or Dillons affiliated store with a Money Services desk
Fees and limits may vary by state, so be sure to verify with your individual store.
Compare your options with our list of other places that sell money order.
Cashing a Money Order
Any Dillons location with a Money Services center will be able to cash a money order for you — but only if it’s from Western Union. According to our communications with the company, it is company policy to “call in” the money order to Western Union to verify its authenticity before cashing.
It’s free to cash the money order if you’re cashing it at the same Dillons store where it was purchased. If the money order was purchased at a different location, you’ll have to pay a $3.50 fee for money orders under $2,000 or a $6 fee for money orders $2,000.01 to $5,000.
Not happy with those numbers? See more options in our list of places that cash money orders.