Dillons is part of the Kroger family of grocery stores, now the largest grocery store chain in America. Dillons offers a wide variety of money services. If you need to cash a check, buy a money order, or cash a money order, you can get the job done at Dillons. Here’s the Dillons check cashing and Dillons money order policies in plain language.
In This Article
Dillons Check Cashing Policy
Dillons cashes a variety of checks for a small service fee.
- Types of checks cashed: Government, payroll, tax refund, insurance settlement, and Western Union money orders.
- Requirements: Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number and a government-issued photo ID.
- Fees: $3.50 for checks $2,000 and less; $6 for checks $2,000.01 to $5,000.
- If you have a Dillons Plus Shoppers card: $3 for checks under $2,000 and $5.50 for checks from $2,000.01 to $5,000.
- Fees may vary based on state and local laws. Confirm fees with your nearby Dillons store.
- Limits: $5,000 per check.
- Hours: Typically 7 a.m. – 11 p.m. but may vary by store. (same as Dillons Money Center hours in general)
- Source: Money Services – Check Cashing page + customer service representatives
Again, this check cashing policy is the same as at other Kroger-owned stores that use Kroger Money Services. These include City Market, King Soopers, Fry’s, Fred Meyer, Owen, Bakers, Ralphs, Pay Less, Gerbes, Smith’s, and QFC.
For more grocery stores that cash checks, see our article Grocery Stores That Cash Checks: Personal, Payroll, Insurance, etc.
Dillons Money Order Policy
Dillons is part of the Kroger family, along with other Kroger owned stores City Market, King Soopers, Fry’s, Fred Meyer, Owen, Bakers, Ralphs, Pay Less, Gerbes, Smith’s, QFC and, of course, Kroger. As such, most of these 1,900+ stores offer the same money order and check cashing policies, unless otherwise prevented by state or local law. The Kroger family of stores offers financial services, such as money order buying/cashing and check cashing, through their Money Services center. However, not all locations have a Money Services center. Search for any Dillons or Kroger-affiliated grocery store with a Money Services center.
Buying a Money Order
Yes, you can purchase a money order at Dillons. Here’s what you need to know:
- Type of money order: Western Union
- Requirements: You need enough cash to cover the amount of the money order and the added fee. Depending on the specific Dillons location, you may also need a government-issued picture ID. You’ll also need to give the name of the recipient you want listed on the money order.
- Fees: $1.19 per money order.
- If you have a Dillons Plus Shoppers card: $0.69 for each money order.
- Limit: $1,000 per money order.
- Accepted payment: Cash only
- Hours: Typically 7 a.m. – 11 p.m. but may vary by store (same as Dillons Money Center hours in general)
- Source: Money Services – Money Orders page
- Find your nearest Dillons or Dillons affiliated store with a Money Services desk
- Bonus: Before heading to your nearest Dillons for a money order, check their Offers and Coupons page for special, limited-time discounts or coupons on money orders or check cashing services.
Fees and limits may vary by state, so be sure to verify with your individual store.
If your money order gets lost or stolen, see this article: How to Refund a Money Order: USPS, MoneyGram, Western Union, Etc.
Also consider other places by viewing our article, Where Can I Get a Money Order? (50+ Places Detailed).
Cashing a Money Order
Any Dillons location with a Money Services center will be able to cash a money order for you — but only if it’s from Western Union. According to our communications with the company it is company policy to “call in” the money order to Western Union to verify its authenticity before cashing.
It’s free to cash the money order if you’re cashing it at the same Dillons store where it was purchased. If the money order was purchased at a different location, you’ll have to pay a $3.50 fee for money orders under $2,000 or a $6 fee for money orders $2,000.01-$5,000.
Not happy with those numbers? See our article Where Can I Cash a Money Order? for more options.
Dillons allows you to purchase Western Union money orders for $1.19 and to cash both checks and money orders for a fee of $3.50 or $6. If you apply for a free Dillons Plus Shoppers card, you can get an even lower price! With most locations open until 11 p.m., Dillons can be an ideal cash solution when banks are closed. If there is not a Dillons near to you, many other grocery stores offer similar services.