Although they have similar names, Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct are not the same business; they’re sister companies. Discount Tire has physical locations that you can visit for services and to make purchases, but Discount Tire Direct is online only and mail order only. While Discount Tire Direct has warehouses across the United States, it doesn’t have any physical store locations. In this article, we’ll do the Discount Tire vs Discount Tire Direct comparison including the selections, prices, warranties, guarantees, and services they offer.
Selection, Prices, & Services
The product selection you can choose from is similar at both Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct. Discount Tire Direct customer service advised us that Discount Tire Direct sometimes stocks products that Discount Tire stores don’t due to its large warehouse sizes. However, most products can be special ordered into stock by Discount Tire stores. So, if you see something on the Discount Tire Direct website that you’d rather purchase in-store, contact your local Discount Tire store and ask if it can special order the item for you and what additional costs may be associated with that process.
Both Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct have a huge selection of tires. You can search by vehicle, size, or brand. If you’re looking for wheels, you can see what Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct offer online as well, again, with filters available for vehicle, size, and brand.
Suggested Article: Will Discount Tire mount tires bought elsewhere? Answered.
For both stores, prices vary depending on many factors such as brand and size. You may also search tires by price range from as low as $50 to greater than $250 and search wheels from as low as $125.
If you need help financing your new purchase, you may apply for the Discount Tire Credit Card, which is valid for both Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct. You can also find special promotions and rebates on the Discount Tire website and the Discount Tire Direct website to help you save even more money.
- Discount Tire offers an array of tire services. It is important to note, however, that not all services are available at all Discount Tire locations. It is best to look up your local Discount Tire store and call to confirm what services it offers and what its prices are for your particular needs. The following services are available through select Discount Tire stores:
- Installation (Suggested article: Will Discount Tire mount tires purchased elsewhere?
- Tire air pressure checks
- Flat repair
- Rotation and balance
- Tire inspection
- TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems) services
- Winter changeover
- Winter studding
- Road force balancing
- Heat cycling
- Alloy wheel repair
- Discount Tire Direct doesn’t offer a wide range of services because it’s an online-only retailer. It offers a local installer lookup on its website so you can get your tires professionally installed. Most of the installers listed are Discount Tire and America’s Tire shops; however, there may also be independent, local options, depending on your location. Discount Tire Direct does offer one service:
- Free mounting and balancing on tire and wheel packages: If your order includes wheels, tires, and either valve stems or TPMS sensors, Discount Tire Direct will mount and balance the tires before shipping them to you, at no additional charge. The tires will arrive “ready to bolt and go,” a corporate customer service representative explained — meaning that the tires will arrive balanced, but you’ll need to install them on the vehicle yourself or visit an installer.
Warranties & Guarantees
Low Price Guarantee
- Discount Tire will beat any competitor’s lower cost with a low price guarantee. This lower cost must include the installed price. To take advantage of this guarantee, you may bring the lower current advertised price on an identical item to your local Discount Tire store. Alternately, you may use the “Found it Lower?” link on the Discount Tire website to submit the lower price online. The “Found it Lower?” link is displayed under the price of each item listed on the website.
- Discount Tire Direct also offers to beat any competitor’s lower cost. The lower cost must include the delivered price. To match a competitor’s price, you may contact the Discount Tire Direct customer service center or you may use the “Found it Lower?” link that is displayed with each online product listing. Learn more about Discount Tire Direct’s low price guarantee.
Certificate for Repair, Refund, or Replacement
- Discount Tire gives you the option of purchasing a Certificate for Repair, Refund, or Replacement whenever you purchase tires. The price of the certificate varies depending on the tires purchased and can range from under $10 to over $100. Certificate price generally correlates to the price of your tires. The Certificate covers tires that have been in use less than three years from the date of purchase and fail due to a defect or non-repairable road hazard (nail in the tire, pothole damage, etc.) until they reach a tread depth of 3/32” (the lowest legal tread depth). If this occurs, Discount Tire will issue you a refund of the full purchase price of the tire(s) including sales tax. The company will also offer you the option of purchasing the same or comparable tires at the refund price. Learn more in our article, Is the Discount Tire Certificate Worth It?
- Discount Tire Direct offers the same Certificate as Discount Tire. To use your Certificate, call Discount Tire Direct’s customer service department and let them know that you are a certificate holder and what the issue with your tire is. Once approved, Discount Tire Direct will send you a new tire. If you can’t wait for a new tire to be shipped, you have the option of purchasing one locally and being refunded the cost — just make sure to contact Discount Tire Direct prior to making your purchase. Learn more on the Discount Tire Direct website.
- Discount Tire promises to make sure you are happy with your purchase. If for any reason you find yourself dissatisfied with your purchase, you may contact Discount Tire to discuss options such as possible return, replacement, or refund. See more about Discount Tire’s return policy on their website.
- At Discount Tire Direct, If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may request a refund within 30 days of your purchase date. You must first call Discount Tire Direct to make arrangements for the refund and return. See more about Discount tire Direct’s return policy.
Discount Tire vs Discount Tire Direct… Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct are two different companies with similar selections, prices, and guarantees. While Discount Tire offers physical locations for shopping and services, Discount Tire Direct is online only. Both businesses offer a low price guarantee and a Certificate for Repair, Refund, or Replacement, which helps protect your new purchase from additional costs due to defect or non-repairable road hazard damage like a nail in the tire. In addition to tires and wheels, Discount Tire stores offer services including installation, air pressure checks, flat repair, and seasonal services. If you are considering purchasing new tires, you may also be interested in our articles about where to sell used tires and the top rent-to-own rims and tires places.