CVS allows customers to get up to $35 cash back on debit card transactions. The retailer doesn’t offer cash back for purchases made with checks or credit cards (except for the Discover Card). Below, we have what you need to know about getting cash back at CVS and similar stores.
CVS Cash Back Policy
CVS allows customers to get cash back on any purchase with a debit card.
Be aware that CVS has a cash-back limit of $35. If you need more than that, you’ll have to make another transaction or visit a different store.
You can’t get cash back from check or credit card purchases at CVS.
One exception to this is the Discover Card, which allows customers to get cash back at the register with its “cash over” feature (as previously reported).
Receiving cash back counts toward your debit card’s daily purchase limit, so be careful not to go over your limit to avoid incurring any bank fees.
Additionally, when receiving cash back with your debit card, note that taking out more than you have in your account can lead to overdraft fees.
Cash Back Process
Getting cash back at CVS using your debit card is a fairly straightforward process.
If you’re only making a purchase to receive cash back, try to look for a low-cost item or something that you need to buy anyway. That way, you’re not wasting any money.
Of course, if you’re already shopping for other things at CVS, you can save yourself some time by getting cash back and keeping it for when you might need it.
The process is as follows:
- When it’s time to pay for your purchase, the card reader will display the cash-back prompt, or the cashier will ask you if you’d like cash back.
- Answer “yes” and choose how much cash you’d like to receive ($35 or less).
- The amount of cash back you want will be added to the total of your transaction, and you’ll be asked to confirm the total.
- After the transaction goes through, you’ll receive your item and the amount of cash that you requested. Be sure to let the cashier know if you’d like any specific denominations. As long as the register has the requested denominations available, you should be able to get cash back in whatever combination of bills you prefer.
- Remember that you will be debited immediately for the full amount of the transaction.
If you need to take out more and don’t want to make separate transactions at CVS, you can check out our article with the list of stores that give the most cash back on debit card transactions.
Other Stores That Offer Cash Back
In addition to CVS, several other stores offer cash back. Grocery stores, drugstores, superstores like Walmart, and even the U.S. Post Office are places that typically offer cash back.
If the store offers cash back on debit card or credit card transactions, the process will be similar to CVS.
If the store allows cash back with a check, you’ll need to add the desired amount of cash back to the amount of your purchase, then write your check for that amount.
For more cash-back options, see our article with the list of stores that offer cash back.
- CVS store customer service representatives
- CVS customer service (800) 746-7287