Walgreens is a nationwide pharmacy and retail chain with locations in every U.S. state. It also owns Duane Reade, a chain based in the New York area. From prescription and over-the-counter meds to health and beauty supplies and even grocery staples, Walgreens and Duane Reade are convenient stops for millions of Americans. But that’s not all — Walgreens and Duane Reade offer a variety of money services, too. But does Walgreens cash checks? And does Duane Reade?
Read on to find out more about Walgreens’ check policy and the other money services that this chain does offer.
Does Walgreens Cash Checks?
Walgreens does not cash checks of any kind; neither does Duane Reade, which is owned by Walgreens. You can, however, pay for your purchase with a check, provided you have a valid, government-issued photo ID.
While Walgreens doesn’t cash checks, you can get up to $20 cash back at Walgreens with a debit card. You can learn more about Walgreens’ cash back policy in our article, Walgreens Cash Back Limit, Minimum Purchase, Cards Accepted + More.
Other Money Services at Walgreens
Walgreens does offer a few other money services, including:
- Western Union money transfers. Walgreens does not sell money orders, but you can pay for or pick up a money transfer here. Read more about how money transfers work in our article, Walgreens Money Orders: Everything to Know.
- In-store ATMs. Many Walgreens stores have in-store ATMs.
- Reloadable, prepaid debit cards. Walgreens has GreenDot, American Express, and Vanilla Visa reloadable, prepaid cards. You can sign up for the card and reload it in any Walgreens. After signup, the cards can also be loaded via direct deposit and used anywhere Mastercard, American Express, or Visa is accepted.
- Gift cards. Walgreens sells a large selection of gift cards in-store, and Walgreens gift cards both online and in-store.
- Local public transportation passes. Walgreens is an authorized seller of local transportation authority public transportation tickets for many major cities. Check your local transit authority website to find out if Walgreens sells passes.
Walgreens offers several money services, such as money transfers, cash back, reloadable, prepaid cards, and more. While check cashing isn’t available at Walgreens or the Walgreens-owned chain Duane Reade, you can get a lot done at these stores! For places where you can cash a check, see our comprehensive list of stores in our article, Check Cashing Place near Me? Or, if you’re interested specifically in getting to the pharmacy and check cashing in the same trip, see our article Grocery Stores That Cash Checks: Personal, Payroll, Insurance, etc. — many of the grocery stores on our list also have pharmacies.
Suggested Article: Is Walgreens pet-friendly?