Walgreens does not cash checks of any kind; neither does Duane Reade, which is owned by Walgreens.
You can, however, pay for your purchase with a check, provided you have a valid, government-issued photo ID.
See our related research for other places where you can cash a check.
Other Money Services at Walgreens
Walgreens does offer a few money services aside from check cashing, including:
- Western Union money transfers: Walgreens does not sell money orders (as previously reported), but you can pay for or pick up a money transfer here.
- In-store ATMs: Many Walgreens stores have in-store ATMs.
- Reloadable, prepaid debit cards: Walgreens has GreenDot, American Express, and Vanilla Visa reloadable, prepaid cards. You can sign up for the card and reload it in any Walgreens. After signup, the cards can also be loaded via direct deposit and used anywhere Mastercard, American Express, or Visa is accepted.
- Gift cards: Walgreens sells a large selection of gift cards in-store, and Walgreens gift cards both online and in-store.
- Local public transportation passes: Walgreens is an authorized seller of local transportation authority public transportation tickets for many major cities. Check your local transit authority website to find out if Walgreens sells passes.