Short Answer: Walmart has a layaway program, but it is not available year-round. Walmart only offers layaway during the holiday shopping season, typically from September to December. You’ll get to set your own payment plan, but you’ll have to finish your payments by the end of the season in December. Below, we have more details about Walmart’s holiday layaway, including which items are eligible.
How Does Layaway Work at Walmart?
Walmart layaway allows you to reserve purchases worth at least $50 by making a down payment and agreeing to periodic installments. To put an item on layaway at Walmart, simply bring it to the store’s designated layaway counter. Once paid in full, you’ll be able to take your purchase home.
Walmart Layaway Dates
Walmart’s layaway is available only during the holiday season. This “holiday season” starts in September and ends in early December. Specific start and end dates can change year to year, and they can also vary by store. If you want to put something on layaway near the start or end date, check with your local store to find its exact layaway period.
Walmart’s holiday layaway for 2020 may begin anywhere from August 30 through early September at your local store. It will end around December 9, depending on your location. We called several Walmart locations in Connecticut, Michigan, Oregon, Tennessee, and Texas to confirm these date ranges. Most stores said that the 2020 holiday layaway begins at the end of August, though one store in Oregon and another in Connecticut told us their layaway would most likely start in the first week of September.
Also, note that certain store locations may offer layaway year-round for jewelry purchases.
Walmart Layaway Rules and Restrictions
Walmart places certain restrictions on layaway purchases, including a minimum purchase amount and a cancellation fee. Walmart’s typical layaway rules are as follows:
- Minimums: Individual items must be $10 more and the total purchase must be at least $50 to qualify for layaway.
- Down payment: $10 or 10% of the total purchase, whichever is greater
- Returns: The standard Walmart return policy applies to all layaway purchases.
- Terms: You must make the final payment and pick up your item(s) before the end of the annual layaway period. You must pick up the items at the same store where you initiated layaway — otherwise, the order will be canceled. If this occurs, the items will be returned to inventory, and the down payment and payments made will be refunded to you, less a $10 cancellation fee. (The cancellation fee does not apply in Ohio, Maryland, Rhode Island, or District of Columbia.)
- Pickup & Pay: You must initiate layaway at the Pickup Desk, but you can then make payments at any store register. You cannot make layaway payments online. When you make the final payment, you may be asked to pick up the layaway purchase from some other department within the store, depending on the item.
Walmart Layaway Benefits
- Walmart’s layaway program allows you to shop for the holiday season even if you can’t initially afford the entire cost. Also, if you can’t or don’t want to pay the full price of an in-demand item upfront, you can reserve the item before it goes out of stock.
- Walmart’s standard policies for returns and price matching also apply to layaway purchases, meaning you can pursue refunds, exchanges, or price reductions.
- There is no opening fee — only a 10% or $10 down payment, which will apply directly to the overall cost of the item.
- Walmart accepts coupons for layaway items.
Walmart Layaway Disadvantages
- Only select items are available for layaway.
- If you decide to cancel a layaway purchase, you’ll be reimbursed for previous payments, but you will pay a $10 fee. If you have more than one item in a layaway account and only cancel one item, this fee may or may not apply, depending on individual store policies.
- You must make your final payment and pick up the item(s) by the December end date.
- Layaway is only available for the holiday season, which lasts from mid-September to mid-December.
- Layaway is not available on the biggest shopping day of the year: Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.
- In some cases, items must be stored off-site. In these cases, Walmart will give you a longer grace period for pick-up.
- Layaway is only available for in-store purchases — Walmart does not offer layaway for online purchases.
- You have to be 21 or older to take advantage of Walmart’s layaway program.
Items Available for Walmart Layaway During the Holidays
Not every item sold at Walmart is available for the layaway program. Clothing, for example, cannot be put on layaway. Walmart offers layaway for the following products during the holidays (excluding Black Friday), as long as the items are each $10 or more and the total purchase price of the total order is at least $50:
- Auto electronics
- Electronics (except for wireless phones that require contracts)
- Infant toys
- Infant furniture
- Large furniture
- Select sporting goods
- Small appliances
Walmart offers layaway, but only during the holiday season. The dates for Walmart holiday layaway vary by year and by store, but generally, layaway starts in late August or early September and ends in mid-December. Layaway is available for select items, such as small appliances and toys; each item must cost over $10, and your total layaway order must be $50 or greater to qualify. The down payment for layaway at Walmart is the greater of $10 or 10% of your total purchase.
For layaway options outside of the holiday season, see our list of stores that offer layaway year-round.