Short Answer: Does Walmart have layaway? Yes but it’s not year-round like at other stores. Walmart only has layaway during the holiday shopping season, typically from September to December. You’ll get to set your payment plan, but you’ll have to finish your payments by the end of the season in December. Below, we have more details of Walmart’s holiday layaway, including which items are eligible.
In This Article
- How Does Walmart Layaway Work?
- Walmart Layaway Benefits
- Walmart Layaway Disadvantages
- Items Available for Walmart Layaway During the Holidays
How Does Layaway Work at Walmart?
Walmart layaway lets you reserve purchases worth at least $50 or more by making a down payment and agreeing to periodic installments. The down payment must equal 10% of the total purchase, or $10, whichever is greater. Once you place an item on layaway, you have 90 days to pay off your purchase. Once paid in full, you’ll be able to take your purchase home.
Walmart Layaway Dates
Layaway is available only during the holiday season. The “holiday season” starts in September and ends in mid-December. Specific start and end dates can change year to year, and can also vary from store to store. If you want to put something on layaway near the start or end date, check with your local store to find its exact layaway period.
Walmart holiday layaway for 2019 may begin anywhere from August 29 through early September at your local store. It will end around December 9, depending on your location. We called several Walmart locations in Connecticut, Michigan, Oregon, Tennessee, and Texas; store associates gave various start dates, including August 29, August 30, and August 31. Most stores said that 2019 holiday layaway begins at the end of August, though one store in Oregon and another in Connecticut said their layaway would most likely start in the first week of September.
Certain store locations may offer layaway year-round for jewelry purchases.
Suggested Article: These Are the Stores That Do Year-Round Layaway
Walmart Layaway Rules and Restrictions
Walmart places certain restrictions on layaway purchases, such as a minimum purchase amount and cancellation fee. We have the details of the Walmart layaway rules below.
- Minimums: Individual items must be $10 or greater, and the total purchase must be $50 or greater in order to qualify for layaway.
- Returns: The standard Walmart returns policy applies to all layaway purchases.
- Terms: You must make final payment and pickup within the 90-day window each year. You must pick up the items at the same store where you initiated layaway — otherwise, the order will be canceled. If this occurs, the items will be returned to inventory, and the down payment and payments made will be refunded, less a $10 cancellation fee. (The cancellation fee does not apply in Ohio, Maryland, Rhode Island, or District of Columbia.)
- Pickup & Pay: You must initiate layaway at the Pickup Desk, but you can then make payments at any register (including the Pickup Desk). You cannot make payments online. When you make the final payment, you may be asked to pick up the layaway purchase from some other department within the store, such as the Gardening Center.
Walmart Layaway Benefits
- Walmart’s layaway program allows you to shop for the holiday season even if you can’t initially afford the entire cost. If you can’t or don’t want to pay the full price of a hot ticket item upfront, you can reserve the item before it goes out of stock and then space out smaller payments over a period of 90 days.
- Walmart’s standard policies on returns and ad matching also apply to layaway purchases, meaning you can pursue refunds, exchanges, or price reductions.
- There is no opening fee — only a 10% or $10 down payment, which will apply directly to the overall cost of the item.
- Walmart accepts coupons for layaway items.
Walmart Layaway Disadvantages
- Only some items are available for layaway.
- If you decide to cancel layaway purchases, you’ll be reimbursed for previous payments but will pay a $10 fee. If you have more than one item in a layaway account and only cancel one item, this fee may or may not apply, depending on individual store policies.
- You must pick up the reserved items and finish payment by the December end date.
- Layaway is only available for the holiday season, which lasts from mid-September to mid-December.
- Layaway is not available on the biggest shopping day of the year: Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.
- In some cases, items must be stored off-site. In these cases, Walmart will give you a longer grace period for pick-up.
- Layaway is only available for in-store purchases — Walmart does not offer layaway for online purchases.
- You have to be 21 or older to put something on layaway.
Items Available for Walmart Layaway During the Holidays
Not every item sold at Walmart is available for the layaway program. Clothing, for example, cannot be put on layaway. Walmart offers layaway for the following products during the holidays (excluding Black Friday), as long as the items are each $10 or more and the total purchase price of the total order is at least $50:
- Auto electronics
- Electronics (except for wireless phones that require contracts)
- Infant toys
- Infant furniture
- Large furniture
- Select sporting goods
- Small appliances
Walmart offers layaway, but only during the holiday season. The dates for Walmart holiday layaway vary by year and by store, but generally, layaway starts in late August or early September and ends in mid-December. Layaway is available for select items, such as small appliances and toys; each item must cost over $10, and your total layaway order must be $50 or greater to qualify. The down payment for layaway at Walmart is the greater of $10 or 10% of your total purchase.
For layaway options outside of the holiday season, see our article on online and local stores that do layaway for the complete list.