Does Walmart have layaway? Yes but it’s not year-round like at other stores. Walmart has layaway during the holiday shopping season, typically September to December. You’ll get to set your payment plan, but you’ll have to finish your payments by the end of the season in December. So don’t wait until the last minute to do your holiday shopping! Besides the seasonal limiting, layaway at Walmart is straight forward and accessible. Read on for details, including which items are eligible.
In This Article
- How Does Walmart Layaway Work?
- Walmart Layaway Benefits
- Walmart Layaway Disadvantages
- Items Available for Walmart Layaway During the Holidays
How Does Layaway Work at Walmart?
Here are the Walmart layaway rules. Walmart layaway lets you reserve purchases worth at least $50 or more by making a down payment and agreeing to periodic installments. The down payment must equal 10% of the total purchase, or $10, whichever is greater. Once you place an item on layaway, you then have 90 days to pay for your items. Once paid in full, you’ll be able to take your purchase home.
Layaway is available only during the holiday season. The “holiday season” starts in mid-September and ends in mid-December. Specific start and end dates can change year to year, and can also vary from store to store. If you want to put something on layaway near either cut off, check with your local store to find their exact dates. Certain store locations may offer layaway year-round for jewelry purchases.
Suggested Article: These Are the Stores That Do Year-Round Layaway
Below, we’ve further broken down the layaway policy to help you find the exact information you need.
- Minimums: Individual items must be $10 or greater, and the total purchase must be $50 or greater in order to qualify for layaway.
- Returns: The standard Walmart returns policy applies to all layaway purchases.
- Terms: You must make final payment and pickup within the 90-day window each year. You must pick up the items at the same store where you initiated layaway — otherwise, the order will be canceled. If this occurs, the items will be returned to inventory and the down payment and payments made will be refunded, less a $10 cancellation fee. (The cancellation fee does not apply in Ohio, Maryland, Rhode Island, or District of Columbia.)
- Pickup & Pay: You must initiate layaway at the Pickup Desk, but you can then make payments at any register (including the Pickup Desk). You cannot make payments online. When you make the final payment, you may be asked to pick up the layaway purchase from some other department within the store, such as the Gardening Center.
Walmart Layaway Benefits
- Walmart’s layaway program allows you to shop for the holiday season even if you can’t initially afford the entire cost. This means that if you can’t or don’t want to pay the entire price of a hot ticket item, you can reserve the item before it goes out of stock and then space out smaller payments over a period of 90 days.
- Walmart’s standard policies on returns and ad matching also apply to layaway purchases, meaning you can pursue refunds, exchanges, or price reductions.
- There is no opening fee — only a 10% down payment that is applied directly to the overall cost of the item.
- Walmart accepts coupons for layaway items.
Walmart Layaway Disadvantages
- Only some items are available for layaway.
- If you decide to cancel layaway purchases, you’ll be reimbursed for previous payment but you’ll charged a $10 fee. If you have more than one item in a layaway account and only cancel one item, this fee may or may not apply, depending on individual store policies.
- You must pick up the reserved items and finish payment by the December end date.
- Layaway is only available for the holiday season, which lasts from mid-September to mid-December.
- Layaway is not available on the biggest shopping day of the year: Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.
- In some cases, items must be stored off-site. In these cases, you’ll be given a longer grace period for pick-up.
- Layaway is only available for in-store purchases only — it is not offered for online purchases.
- You have to be 21 or older to put something on layaway.
Items Available for Walmart Layaway During the Holidays
Not every item sold at Walmart is available for the layaway program. Clothing, for example, cannot be put on layaway. Walmart offers layaway for the following items during the holidays (excluding Black Friday), as long as the items are each $10 or greater and the total purchase price of all items is at least $50:
- Auto electronics
- Electronics (except for wireless phones that require contracts)
- Infant toys
- Infant furniture
- Large furniture
- Select sporting goods
- Small appliances
Layaway can be a great method for holiday shopping on a budget, as long as you plan carefully and budget wisely. If you’re looking for layaway shopping options outside of holiday season, Walmart isn’t the best option for you. We’ve researched some of the largest national chains to find stores that offer layaway programs, whether year-round or specifically in the holiday season. So if it’s not the holiday season, see our article, Places That Do Layaway: Both Online Layaway Stores and Local, for the complete list.