Short Answer: Federal employees, including military members and first responders, are eligible for a host of discounts, from travel and lodging to restaurants and retail. You will usually need to show proof of federal employment in order to receive the discount. For the list of over 100 discounts for government employees, see below.
In This Article
- Proof of Employment
- The Verifiable Federal Employee Discounts List
Proof of Employment
Federal employee discounts are available to those who are able to show proof of employment with the federal government. Depending on the company offering the discount, you may be able to use your personnel badge or ID card (issued to U.S. federal civilian employees), official military ID, Common Access Card (CAC), U.S. federal government-issued Visa, Mastercard, or American Express card, VA Universal Access Card, Veterans Service Organization Card (VFW, AmVets, DAV, etc.), Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) card, or Native American Tribal Government ID card.
See our related article for more information about discounts for law enforcement.
The Verifiable Federal Employee Discounts List
- GEICO offers discounts on auto insurance and premiums.
- USAA membership includes fraud support and security monitoring; discounts on travel insurance, moving, and storage; car buying assistance overseas; and free filing with TurboTax. Its products are only available to military members and their families.
Communications and Tech Discounts
- Apple offers discounts for federal employees and military members and their families on products for business and personal use.
- AT&T offers discounts to military members and spouses.
- Dell offers military members up to 10% off PCs and electronics.
- HP offers federal employees and military members up to 35% off products for home use.
- Lenovo offers discounted prices to military members and Department of Defense employees.
- Microsoft offers free and discounted products to military members and veterans.
- Sprint offers discount programs to federal employees and military members.
- T-Mobile offers discounts to active military members and veterans.
- Verizon offers discount programs to federal employees and military members.
Rental Cars and Car Maintenance Discounts
- Alamo offers government employee and military discounts on rental cars for business and leisure travel.
- Auto Accessories Garage offers active-duty military, veterans, and their families 5 to 20% off most retail items.
- Avis offers a government and military rate for business travel, as well as a Veterans Advantage discount program.
- Budget offers government and military discounts of up to 25% off for leisure travel.
- Dollar offers government employee and military discounts on rental cars for business and personal travel.
- Enterprise offers a government rate for business travel and military discounts for both business and leisure travel.
- Hertz offers government employee and military discounts on rental cars for business and leisure travel.
- National offers government employee and military discounts on rental cars for business and personal travel.
- O’Reilly Auto Parts offers active-duty members of the military and their immediate family, military retirees, and VA recipients 10% off most items in-store.
Air and Rail Travel Discounts
It’s helpful to know which airlines offer discounts to military personnel and their families. Courtesies offered often include discounted fares and Space Available flights. Some airlines give significant discounts to non-military government officials as well.
- Alaska Airlines offers up to three free checked bags for active-duty military and military dependents on travel orders.
- Allegiant Air offers several discounts and perks to military members and families.
- American Airlines offers some government and military discounts.
- Amtrak offers government employees a discount on business travel and a 10% discount on most travel to active-duty military and their dependents.
- Delta offers special government and military rates; call (800) 221-1212 for discount details.
- Hawaiian Airlines offers two to four free checked bags for military personnel, dependents with proof of government travel orders, and active-duty military members on personal travel.
- JetBlue offers discounted fares on business travel for federal employees and on leisure travel for active-duty military and their immediate family.
- Southwest Airlines does not advertise discounts for federal employees but does direct government and military travelers to contact them for more information about fares.
- United Airlines offers baggage and fare discounts, as well as pet exceptions to military members and State Department employees and families on official travel.
- Applebee’s offers a free meal for active-duty and veteran military on Veterans Day.
- Bob Evans offers a special menu with a free meal for military members on Veterans Day.
- Boston Market offers a Veterans Day coupon for a BOGO meal and drink.
- Buffalo Wild Wings offers a free small order of wings and side of fries for Veterans Day.
- Carrabba’s offers a free appetizer for Veterans Day.
- Chili’s offers a free meal on Veterans Day for active-duty and veteran military members.
- Chuck E. Cheese offers special discount food offers for military families.
- Cracker Barrel offers a free double fudge Coca-Cola cake or pumpkin pie latte for Veterans Day.
- Friendly’s offers a free meal on Veterans Day for military members.
- Golden Corral offers an annual Military Appreciation Night.
- Hooters offers free meals to select federal employees on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and National First Responders Day.
- IHOP offers free red, white, and blue pancakes for Veterans Day at participating locations.
- Little Caesars Pizza offers a free $5 lunch combo for active-duty military and veterans on Veterans Day.
- Logan’s Roadhouse often has offers for first responders and military members on days like Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
- Outback Steakhouse offers 10% off for all first responders, with occasional additional Veterans Day offers.
- Red Lobster offers a free appetizer or dessert for Veterans Day.
- Red Robin offers a free Tavern Double burger with bottomless fries for Veterans Day.
- Ryan’s offers a daily 15% military discount, as well as Military Monday specials.
- Starbucks offers a free tall coffee for Veterans Day at participating locations.
- Texas Steakhouse & Saloon offers a 10% discount for all active duty and retired military.
- The Cheesecake Factory does not have an official discount policy, but select locations offer military discounts. You can call ahead to your desired location to find out whether a discount is available.
In recent years, restaurants have been turning to social media to announce their promotions and discounts. The following restaurants don’t advertise any permanent discounts for federal employees, but do announce their limited-time promotions, including Veterans Day and Memorial Day specials, through social media or other news releases:
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit
- Hoss’s Family Steak & Sea House
- Krispy Kreme
- Longhorn Steakhouse
- Olive Garden
- Ruby Tuesday
- Sweet Frog
- Texas Roadhouse
- TGI Friday’s
- White Castle
- Best Western offers discounts of 10% or more to federal employees, including active-duty military and veterans.
- Choice Hotels (includes Ascend Hotel Collection, Cambria Hotel & Suites, Clarion, Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Econo Lodge, Mainstay Suites, Rodeway Inn, Sleep Inn, Suburban Extended Stay, and Quality Inn) offers discounts for active-duty military, veterans, and federal employees traveling for business.
- Disney World offers discounted hotel rates to military families; discounts are updated annually.
- Hilton Hotels (includes Conrad Hotel, DoubleTree Hotel, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton Hotel, Home 2 Suites, Homewood Suites, and Waldorf Astoria Hotel) offers discounted government and military rates at participating hotels and resorts. When searching for hotels, click the “government/military” box to see the discounted rate.
- La Quinta offers discounted rates for business and leisure travel to federal employees, including active-duty military and veterans.
- LEGOLAND offers various military rates at its hotels in Florida and California.
- Participating locations in the Red Lion Hotels (includes America’s Best Value Inn, Jameson Inn, and Settle Inn) offer discounts for active-duty military and veterans.
- Red Roof Inn offers federal employees a 20% discount on leisure travel.
- Super8 offers 15% off to active-duty military and veterans.
- Wyndham Hotel Group (includes Baymont Inn & Suites, Days Inn, Dolce, Hawthorne Suites, Howard Johnson’s, Knights Inn, Microtel Inn and Suites, Ramada, Super 8, Travelodge, TRYP by Wyndham, Wingate by Wyndham, Wyndham Garden Hotels, Wyndham Grand Collection, and Wyndham Hotels & Resorts) offers government discounts at participating locations.
For more details on these hotels, we’ve compiled the list of which hotels offer discounted military rates.
- Cedar Point offers discounted military admission tickets and Military Mondays.
- Chicago Children’s Museum offers free admission to active-duty military and veterans.
- Disneyland offers discounted park admission to active-duty military and veterans.
- Hershey Park offers discounted admission with a coupon and valid military ID. It also offers Military Appreciation Weekend events annually.
- Kings Dominion offers discounted admission on up to six tickets with a valid military ID. They also offer free admission for active-duty and retired military during the Honoring Our Heroes and Star Spangled Celebration events over Memorial Day weekend.
- LEGOLAND Discovery Center offers discounted admissions with a valid military ID. The specific discount varies by location. You can choose your intended location from their site to find each location’s offers.
- LEGOLAND Florida offers free admission for active-duty military and discounts for veterans and families.
- Maryland Zoo in Baltimore offers discounts to active-duty and retired military members. For details, contact your nearest base or call the Military Ticket Office at (619) 767-9000.
- Orlando Magic offers special ticket pricing to military members.
- Pacific Science Center offers discounted admission to military members, current and retired Department of Defense employees, and their families. The discounts cannot be combined with coupons or other offers, and they do not apply to feature IMAX movies or traveling exhibits.
- Philadelphia Zoo offers active-duty military members a $2 discount per ticket.
- San Diego Air & Space Museum offers free admission to active-duty military. Retired military members receive a discount.
- San Diego Zoo offers free one-day passes to active-duty and reserve military members, as well as academy cadets. They also offer some discount ticket packages; specific information is available from your MWR Ticket Office.
- Ticketmaster sometimes offers a military discount, though most often the venue chooses whether or not to offer such rates. (See our article for details on where to buy Ticketmaster gift cards.)
- Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood offer a variety of discounts for military families.
- Bass Pro Shops gives military members a 5% year-round discount on regularly priced merchandise.
- Bed Bath & Beyond offers military members and their families 25% off their purchase on Veterans Day.
- Buckle offers a 10% discount in its online store to active-duty military, veterans, and their families.
- Cabela’s offers a 5% discount in-store to military members.
- Gift Baskets Overseas offers military members and government employees 10% off any order to any serviced country.
- Lowe’s offers 10% off select purchases to active-duty military and veterans.
- Michaels offers military members and families 15% off in-store.
- MLBShop.com offers 15% off to military members, first responders, and their families.
- NFLShop.com offers 15% off to military members, first responders, and their families.
- Nike offers military members a 10% discount at nike.com, the Nike+ app, and Nike, Converse, and Hurley stores (excluding Nike Company/Employee stores).
- Pottery Barn offers military members and families 15% off in-store. The Pottery Barn discount excludes specially-priced items and clearance items with prices ending in $0.97 or $0.99.
- Sunglass Hut offers a 15% discount to active duty and retired military and families, first responders, and other government employees.
- Under Armour offers a 10% discount to first responders and the military in-store and online. (To use the discount online, you’ll need to verify your identity with ID.me during checkout.) Active police, fire, and EMTs are eligible as well as active, retired, or veteran members of the military. Military spouses, parents, and children can also use the discount.
- Williams-Sonoma offers military members and families 15% off in-store. Discount excludes electronics, which carry a 10% military discount.