You can become a pearl consultant by signing up with a multilevel marketing company that sells oysters and pearls. Some companies will let you sign up online, while others have a more extensive application process. The cost to become a pearl consultant varies by company but typically starts around $30. Below, we have more on how to become a pearl consultant, the list of pearl party companies, and cautions and legal considerations to weigh before you sign up.
The List of Pearl Party Companies
Pearl consultants typically host live pearl parties on Facebook, where participants are invited to purchase oysters and the consultant will open the oysters to reveal what kind of pearl is inside. Below, we’ve provided the list of pearl party companies we found during our research.
Note: While pearl parties are popular, there have been concerns voiced by pearl party consultants, pearl party participants, and pearl experts about the quality of the pearls being sold at these parties, as reported by BuzzFeed in 2017 and Western Mass News in 2018. It’s always a good idea to research products before representing them or making a big purchase, especially if you can’t see the product in person before buying.
- Sells: Pearl oysters; jewelry to be used with the pearls; other jewelry, such as earrings, bracelets, and necklaces; various home and apparel products
- How to become a consultant: Sign up with Aww Shucks online
- Cost to become a consultant: About $30 to $175 for a consultant kit
- Sources: Aww Shucks and a consultant reached via email through the Aww Shucks website
- Learn more about Aww Shucks
- Sells: Pearls; pearl earrings and rings; accessories to turn pearls into jewelry, including bracelets, necklaces, cages, and lockets
- How to become a consultant: Start by purchasing one of the starter kit options on Charmed Pearls’ website
- Cost to become a consultant: $50 to $100 for a party kit, plus a $100 oyster deposit
- Source: Charmed Pearls
- Learn more about Charmed Pearls
Gifts From Under the Sea
- Sells: Oysters, jewelry and accessories for your oyster pearls, mounted jewelry, diamonds, various gift items
- How to become a consultant: Sign up with Gifts From Under the Sea online. (In order to complete the online application, you will need the ID of a current Gifts From Under the Sea consultant.)
- Cost to become a consultant: About $30 for a basic starter kit; additional kit options are available from $200 to $750.
- Source: Gifts from Under the Sea
- Learn more about Gifts From Under the Sea
It’s Pearl Time
- Sells: Oysters; pearl jewelry, including rings, earrings, bracelets, and necklaces; pearl-related apparel and accessories
- How to become a consultant: Apply to work with It’s Pearl Time online
- Cost to become a consultant: From $35 to $70
- Source: It’s Pearl Time and a consultant reached via email through the It’s Pearl Time website
- Learn more about It’s Pearl Time
- Sells: Oysters; pearl jewelry, including rings, earrings, bracelets, and necklaces
- How to become a consultant: Send a video to email@example.com and make sure to answer all of the questions on the contact us page of the Pearl Nite website
- Cost to become a consultant: About $150 for a starter kit and $5 for each oyster you wish to purchase to use in giveaways
- Source: Pearl Nite and an associate reached via email through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Learn more about Pearl Nite
Pearls Gone Wild
- Sells: Oysters, loose pearls, jewelry and accessories for the pearls
- How to become a consultant: Apply to work with Pearls Gone Wild online
- Cost to become a consultant: About $200 for a consultant kit
- Source: Pearls Gone Wild
- Learn more about Pearls Gone Wild
- Sells: Pearls; jewelry and accessories for the pearls; other pearl jewelry, including bracelets, necklaces, rings, and earrings
- How to become a consultant: Fill out a Vantel Pearls application and purchase a consultant kit online
- Cost to become a consultant: Starting at $100 for a consultant kit, plus an additional $100 oyster deposit
- Source: Vantel Pearls
- Learn more about Vantel Pearls
How to Become a Pearl Consultant
Now, let’s look deeper into the process. Becoming a pearl consultant with some multilevel marketing (MLM) companies is as simple as filling out an online application. Other companies look for specific information, such as previous sales experience, and may even require a personal video explaining why you want to become a pearl consultant.
Something to consider before signing up is that while MLM companies often boast about how you can be your own boss, set your own hours, and have unlimited earning potential, they typically require consultants to purchase starter kits and products to have on hand — some pearl party companies also ask for an oyster deposit. Consultants sometimes spend more setting up their business than they’ll be able to make back.
In addition, as noted above, some concerns have been raised about the quality of the pearls from some MLM pearl companies. If you’re considering becoming a consultant for a particular company, try evaluating the quality of the products before you commit to selling them. For example, you might consider seeking the opinion of a local jeweler or nearby pearl expert.
You’ll also want to look into necessary licenses and permits in order to conduct business as a pearl consultant. Import/export licenses are required for any company importing oysters from a foreign country, per the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. One pearl party company, It’s Pearl Time, informed us that its independent consultants fall under the company’s licenses and permits. If you decide to become a pearl consultant with another company, you’ll want to make sure you’re also covered.
Becoming a Certified Pearl Specialist
If you’re interested in working with pearls but don’t want to work with a multilevel marketing company, you may want to pursue a career as a pearl specialist, such as an appraiser. One option is to enroll in a pearl specialist certification course offered by the Cultured Pearl Association of America. The CPAA offers an online course that will educate you on pearls and allow you to become a certified pearl specialist. If you’re interested, you can register online; the cost of enrollment is $599 as of the time of this writing.
Additional educational opportunities are available through the Gemological Institute of America, though it specializes in on-campus education and only has two campuses in the U.S. — in New York and California.
Requirements to become a pearl party consultant vary by company. Some let you apply online while others require a more detailed application process. We’ve listed several multilevel marketing pearl party companies above. If none of those are right for you, you might want to consider becoming a certified pearl specialist.