For this article, we’ve compiled a list of homeowners insurance companies to consider. These are the ten largest homeowners insurance companies in the United States today. When you’re looking for homeowner’s insurance, it’s wise to pick an insurance company on this list. These massive companies offer the lowest prices and the most coverage options.
The listed homeowners insurance companies operate nationwide and offer insurance for all types of homes (detached single-unit housing, semi-detached dwellings, attached single-unit housing, attached multi-unit housing and movable dwellings) unless otherwise stated.
The intention of this article is for it to be a complete guide for homeowners who want to find the best homeowners insurance possible. The task may be daunting but we’ve already narrowed it down to 10 companies to choose from. And after reading this post, you’ll have that number narrowed down even further. After that, it’s just a matter of which company will offer you the best price for your specific home and situation. Let’s get you the best homeowners insurance possible.
State Farm Homeowners Insurance
State Farm is the largest homeowners insurance company in the US, operating since 1922.
- It is a large, financially strong firm with a good reputation.
- It offers discounts for having more than one State Farm policy and offers discounts for home safety measures etc.
- There is no limit on the reimbursement amount for electronics and appliances.
- The maximum home insurance coverage amount is much lower than that of other insurance companies.
- The average premium is also high compared to other companies.
- The homeowners insurance policy does not cover persons who work from home or run a business from home.
- State Farm’s customer support is below average.
Allstate Homeowners Insurance
Allstate is the second largest insurance company which offers not only homeowners insurance coverage but also life insurance, car insurance etc.
- The company offers rewards for spending on home security or for signing a new policy before the old one expires and other similar discounts.
- If you make a lot of purchases, Allstate has an app where you can keep an inventory of your belongings. That way, if something happens to your home, you’ll know exactly what to replace. You simply get the free Allstate Digital Locker app (available even to non-Allstate customers) and begin snapping pictures. You can even organize your possessions on a room by room basis. You can also add prices for each item. This app may seem trivial but if your house burns down, you’ll know exactly what needs replaced and what price you should ask your homeowners insurance company to reimburse you.
- It is a big company and operates through local agents. Not all its agents are equally qualified.
Farmers Homeowners Insurance
Farmers is also a reputable insurance company, offering homeowners insurance, car insurance etc. It has operated since 1928.
- Farms insurance provides great customer support. Claims are processed 24/7.
- The company offers many discounts
- People with bad credit history can also get insurance from Farmers.
- The premiums on average are high for the industry.
Liberty Mutual Homeowners Insurance
Liberty Mutual is the oldest insurance company in America and offers different types of insurance including home insurance.
- Varied policies are available for different types of homes.
- The inventory app simplifies the claim process.
- It offers discounts, and there is no limit on reimbursement for electronics.
- Premiums are quite high on average.
- Customer service reviews are lackluster.
- Online quote system sometimes generates inconsistent quotes.
USSA Homeowners Insurance
USAA was founded in 1922 and offers different types of insurance and financial services.
- It has the most reasonably priced homeowners insurance policies.
- Associated policies for identity theft etc. are available.
- Company’s customer service has excellent reviews.
Con (but it’s a big one):
- Homeowners insurance coverage is available only to military members and their families.
Travelers Homeowners Insurance
Travelers has been operating for more than 160 years in America and offers different types of individual and business insurance.
- Travelers has more coverage per dollar spent than its competitors.
- Its customer support has above average ratings.
- It has limits on the coverage for electronics.
- The homeowners insurance does not cover movable dwellings.
- In order to get an online quote, you need to share your personal data.
Nationwide Homeowners Insurance
Nationwide has been serving customers since 1925 and offers many different types of insurance including homeowners insurance.
- The company offers discounts depending upon the number of policies taken and the age of the property.
- Using its Brand New Belongings service, you can get partial payments, upfront, to replace damaged belongings.
- It has a highly efficient customer service team and claims are processed very fast.
- It has good network of agents.
- Loss of use compensation is available only with the premium plan.
- People with bad credit scores do not qualify.
American Family Insurance Homeowners Insurance
American Family Insurance has been in the insurance business for over 80 years and offers different types of insurance including homeowners insurance.
- Homeowners insurance coverage also includes pets of the home.
- The website is easy to navigate.
- The cost of the homeowners insurance is reasonable.
- Claims take longer than average to be processed.
- Only keep American Family on your list of homeowners insurance companies to consider if you live in one of the 19 states in which American Family operates: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin
MetLife Homeowners Insurance
Though mostly known for its life insurance, MetLife offers good deals on homeowners insurance also.
- It offers special coverage for landlords.
- It offers discounts if the homeowner takes extra protection to protect the home.
- In the event of total loss, it reimburses the total value of the house.
- It offers non-flooding water backup coverage.
- Premiums can be quite high.
The Hartford Homeowners Insurance
The Hartford started its operation in 1810 and is now a Fortune 500 company.
- There are many options for homeowners insurance e.g. loss of use.
- There are many ways to get discounts like buying auto and home insurance bundles etc.
- Customer service is subpar.
Your List of List of Homeowners Insurance Companies to Consider
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this homeowners insurance companies list. From these 10, it’s your job to whittle down the list until you are ready to get on the phone and get a deal done.