Short Answer: While most Lowe’s stores do not currently offer tool rentals, the company is rolling out a rental program for a variety of tools and equipment; this rollout will take place over several years. Currently, the only tools available for rent at virtually all Lowe’s stores are carpet cleaners. For more information about renting tools at Lowe’s, as well as information about the company’s Lease to Own program, see below.
Lowe’s Tool and Equipment Rental
Currently, most Lowe’s stores only offer rentals for carpet cleaners, as we’ve previously reported. However, the company has announced a multi-year endeavor to begin offering tool rentals nationwide, starting with a few stores in North Carolina and South Carolina. You can contact your local store to see if its associates have any knowledge about when their store will be adopting the program.
At the stores where it is available — and more stores going forward — the tool rental program allows customers to rent the same tools that are available for purchase. Renting allows you to get the equipment you need for your project without paying the full price of the item(s). The types of tools available for rent include:
- Climate control equipment (including fans, foggers, air scrubbers)
- Concrete tools
- Demolition equipment (including hammers and chisels)
- Floor care (including carpet cleaners and floor sanders)
- General construction equipment (including dollies, safety barricades, and ramps)
- Ladders and scaffolding
- Lawn care (including rakes, cutters, tillers, and aerators)
- Paint and drywall equipment
- Plumbing and pump tools
- Portable generators
- Power tools (including drills, saws, grinders, and sanders)
- Pressure washers
- Tile saws
- Tree care (including chainsaws and log splitters)
- Welding equipment
How to Rent Tools at Lowe’s (Where Available)
To rent tools and equipment from Lowe’s stores that offer it, you can start by reserving the item(s) online. You will first need to create a Tool Rental account. You must be at least 18 years old to rent equipment from Lowe’s, and when you pick up the items at your local Lowe’s store, you will need to bring a photo ID and credit card. The company offers rental rates by the hour, day, week, or month. You can find the rates listed under each item you select on the Lowe’s website.
If your store offers rentals, you can get curbside pickup and drop-off for your tools by simply pulling into one of the designated spaces in the Lowe’s parking lot and following the posted instructions.
If the equipment is damaged during your rental, you should bring it back to the store to get a replacement and to find out if you are responsible for any additional costs.
Extending a Rental
If you need to keep your rented equipment past the end date you originally specified when you made the reservation, you can do so by contacting the Lowe’s store you rented from and requesting an extension. Store associates will adjust the cost of the rental to accommodate the extra rental time.
Lowe’s Lease to Own Program
While most Lowe’s stores have not yet begun their tool rental programs, many stores do offer a Lease to Own option, and you can use this to purchase tools. This can be beneficial if you anticipate needing the equipment for ongoing projects but you don’t want to pay the full price upfront.
The Lowe’s Lease to Own program enables customers to make an in-store purchase without a credit check and with an initial payment of about $80. To apply, you need to be at least 18, have a Social Security number or Individual Tax Identification Number, and provide routing and account numbers for a bank account or a prepaid debit card.
Keep in mind that your lease agreement will include the price of the item plus the lease service costs and any applicable tax. Once you’re approved, you have 90 days to begin leasing your item(s). If you don’t lease an item during that time, you will need to reapply in the future.
Once you begin your lease, you typically have 12 months to pay off the purchase in full. You can cancel your lease at any time for a prorated refund, minus any fees you may owe. If you cancel within five calendar days of signing the lease, you will receive a full refund.
Other Places That Rent Tools
Until Lowe’s expands its tool rental program to all of its locations, there are still plenty of places you can go to rent tools. In the course of our research, we found that the following stores offer tool and equipment rentals:
- Rental options vary by location; see our dedicated research on renting tools and equipment from Ace Hardware.
- Available equipment: Air compressors, hand tools, ProContractor tools, concrete and masonry tools, generators, floor care equipment, pumps, and paving equipment
- Find out more
The Home Depot
- Available equipment: Indoor/outdoor hand and power tools as well as large moving and lifting equipment
- Find out more
- Available equipment: Hand tools, power tools, general construction, lawn equipment, flooring tools, ladders, and concrete tools
- Find out more
- Available equipment: General indoor/outdoor hand and power tools; large equipment for moving and lifting
- Find out more