Short Answer: When you have time-sensitive document needs, you may need to find a place with a notary that is open outside of regular business hours. Mobile notary companies like 123Notary, Notary Rotary, and Notary Cafe have notaries available to come to your location 24/7. Other local places like The UPS Store, local libraries, and some banks are open on weekends and typically offer notary services (possibly for free). For more about finding a notary at any time of day, see below.
24-Hour Mobile Notaries
Typically, the only way to find a notary at a late hour is through a mobile notary — a notary public that travels to clients. Although several mobile notaries may list themselves as available 24 hours, they may not choose to work after a particular hour. Also, mobile notaries often charge a traveling fee in addition to the regular per-signature fee. A few states put a cap on the maximum amount a mobile notary can charge per mile, but most do not. Our article has a breakdown of each state’s regulated notary fees.
The 123Notary directory is easy to search and is updated frequently.
- Search features: 123Notary’s search filters include time available, 123Notary certified, 24-hour service, reverse mortgage, travel to hospitals or jails, and Spanish speaking. Note that you have to apply filters after doing an initial search for a notary based on your city, state, or zip code.
- Visit 123Notary.com
Although using Notary Rotary’s directory is free, you may receive a message warning you that you have exceeded the maximum number of daily profiles you are allowed to view without logging in. To bypass this, you will need to sign up for a Basic (free) membership or a paid Premium membership. Notary Rotary serves as the primary resource for mobile notaries. According to Notary Rotary’s FAQs, all memberships are limited in the number of searches allowed per day because searching is not a primary benefit of membership. The primary purpose of Notary Rotary is for mobile notaries to receive a personal notary directory listing and supply discounts.
- Search features: Notary Rotary’s search filters include 24-hour service, several languages, including Spanish, Japanese, Italian, and Arabic, fax and/or email available, wedding services, and fields services.
- Visit NotaryRotary.com
- Search features: Notary Cafe’s search filters include 24-hour service, travel to hospitals or jails, laser printer available, attorney, fingerprinting available, and wedding services.
- Visit NotaryCafe.com
Places With Notaries That Are Open on Weekends
It can be difficult to find a weekend notary, but we’ve found a few places that might have a notary on staff during weekend hours. Although the places listed are open on the weekend, it’s always a good idea to call ahead to be sure that the notary is available, as notaries may keep different hours from their place of business. You may also need to make an appointment.
AAA typically offers notary services at its branches as a membership perk, and several AAA locations are opened on Saturday for a few hours.
- Cost per signature: Typically free as a membership benefit.
- Other information: No appointment is needed.
- Find your nearest AAA branch
Some Chase locations offer notary services and are open on Saturdays for a few hours. Notary services are only available for Chase customers.
- Cost per signature: Free for customers.
- Other information: You may need to make an appointment at your local Chase branch for notary services.
- Find your nearest Chase branch
Some Pak Mail locations offer notary services and may be open on Saturdays for a few hours. You will need to call ahead to your local Pak Mail to be sure that notary services are available.
- Cost per signature: Price will vary by each state and individual PakMail location.
- Other information: No appointment is needed. If you need more information about PakMail’s notary services, contact your local store.
- Find your nearest PakMail location
According to the PNC Bank Help Twitter account, each PNC Bank branch location may offer notary services at its discretion. After calling a few branches, it apepars that locations typically only notarize documents pertaining to bank business. So it is in your best interest to call ahead to see if your branch will notarize your document. Not all PNC branches are open on Saturdays.
- Cost per signature: Free for customers
- Other information: Notary services are for customers only. While an appointment is not necessary, you will need to call ahead to make sure the notary is available.
- Find your nearest PNC Bank location
Most of PostalAnnex’s locations offer notary services from a certified and insured notary public and are open for a few hours on Saturdays. Several PostalAnnex locations also offer mobile notary services and can send a notary public to homes, hospitals, convalescent homes, and places of business.
- Cost per signature: Price will vary by state and each individual PostalAnnex location.
- Other information: Walk-ins are welcome in-store, but appointments are needed for mobile notary services.
- Find your nearest PostalAnnex location
Most public libraries offer free notary services from on-staff notaries, and most are open on weekends, possibly with limited hours. You can check with your local library to make sure a notary is available before you visit.
- Cost per signature: Typically free
- Other information: You should not need an appointment to get something notarized at a library — you can ask for a notary at the customer service desk
The UPS Store
Select UPS Stores that offer notary services are open on the weekend and/or have evening hours. All UPS Store locations are individually owned and operated, so it is up to each owner to set the store’s hours and services. You will need to find your nearest UPS Store and call ahead or check online to see if notary services are available.
- Cost per signature: Price will vary by each state and individual UPS Store location.
- Other information: Walk-ins are welcome and all documents need to be in English.
- Find your nearest UPS Store
Some Wells Fargo branches offer notary services and are open for a few hours on Saturday.
- Cost per signature: Free for customers. A fee may be charged to non-customers at the discretion of the branch.
- Other information: According to the Wells Fargo FAQs, you will need to call your local branch in advance to meet with a notary.
- Find your nearest Wells Fargo. Note that the location finder will allow you to find a branch with notary services.
Things to Know Before Meeting With a Notary
Before meeting with a notary, be sure you have gathered everything you need so the process will go quickly and smoothly:
- Payment for fees. Our article has more information about how much it costs to get a document notarized.
- Valid, government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, state ID, military ID, or passport so that the notary can verify your identity.
- Typically the document(s) will need to be in English, unless the notary can read and understand another language. According to the National Notary Association, state laws do not expressly prohibit a notary from notarizing a document that is not in English. However, a notary should only proceed if the notarial certificate is in a language the notary can read and write.
- In some states, certain documents may require a witness. Typically, the witness cannot be the notary.
To find a notary at any time of day, you can try searching for a mobile notary from a company like 123Notary, Notary Rotary, or Notary Cafe. If you are looking for a place you can get something notarized over the weekend, you can try a place like your local bank, public library, AAA office, or UPS Store. Many of these places even offer the service for free. If all else fails, you can ask around your personal network for a local notary who may be able to help you, or try a Google search for “24-hour notary near me.”
For a more general list of places to get something notarized, we have a list of more than 30 places with notary services. For more specific needs, we also have the list of places with notaries that are open on Saturday and Sunday.