Rent-A-Center is a rent-to-own store offering furniture, appliances, and electronics online as well as in over 3,000 stores in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. It offers six months same-as-cash and a worry-free guarantee.
Below, we have more details about renting to own through Rent-A-Center, as well as a few alternatives to consider if Rent-A-Center isn’t for you.
How Rent-A-Center Works
What Is Rent-A-Center?
Rent-A-Center offers rent-to-own payment plans for furniture, electronics, and appliances, letting you take the prices of big-ticket items and spread them out into small, affordable payments. So you can furnish, redecorate, or upgrade items for your home without needing to provide full payment upfront or put the purchase on a credit card. Once you make your final payment, you’ll own the item or items that were included in your rental agreement.
At Rent-A-Center, rent-to-own furniture items include a variety of living room sets, sofas, recliners, TV stands, electric fireplaces, and dining room sets. Furniture items also include bedroom furniture for adults and kids and mattresses. Rent-to-own appliances include refrigerators, freezers, ovens, dishwashers, and washers and dryers. Rent-to-own electronics include computers, smartphones, TVs, home theater and audio systems, and video game consoles.
Rent-A-Center is different from many other rent-to-own stores as it does not offer rental contracts for a specific amount of time such as 12, 18, or 24 months. Instead, Rent-A-Center offers a six-month same-as-cash option in which you can pay off your purchase within six months free of interest or fees. If you need more than six months to pay off your purchase, you can then choose to make payments as often as meets your needs. You can choose a payment plan that lines up with your paychecks such as a weekly payment plan, a twice a month plan, or a once a month plan. You will continue making payments until your purchase is paid in full.
You don’t need to have established credit to use the rent-to-own program, but you will be required to provide an address, employment information, and a few references. It’s a good idea to get that information together in preparation for your visit to Rent-A-Center. You can also apply for rent-to-own online.
If you find that you’re struggling with the payment plan you chose, Rent-A-Center allows you to return your items and pause your payments at any time. By pausing payments, you don’t lose the money you’ve already invested in your new items. Rent-A-Center will let you resume payments and receive your items, or comparable items, again whenever you’re ready.
Rent-A-Center Worry-Free Guarantee
A perk of renting through Rent-A-Center is the worry-free guarantee, which means there are no hidden fees for services like delivery and set-up or repairs — all of these services are already included in the rent-to-own payment plan. If your purchase needs repairs, Rent-A-Center will even provide a loaner item while you wait for yours to be repaired. You also have the option of upgrading your rent-to-own item while it is still under your payment plan. There are no service fees to upgrade, and your payments will just be adjusted according to the new item you choose for your upgrade.
It’s important to note, however, that some services, such as no additional charge for delivery and setup, may vary by Rent-A-Center location. Make sure to ask your local Rent-A-Center representative for specific details on what is or is not included with your rent-to-own payment plan. You may look up your local Rent-A-Center store online.
Places Like Rent-A-Center
There are many stores like Rent-A-Center that have rent-to-own or lease-to-own options for furniture, appliances, and electronics.
Below, we’ve compiled the list of stores like Rent-A-Center based on their merchandise, payment options, and repair and return policies. All three of the companies listed below share Rent-A-Center’s focus on the product categories of furniture, electronics, and appliances.
To compile this list, we examined each company’s website and contacted their customer service departments.
- Items available: Aaron’s sells living room, bedroom, and dining room furniture; TVs, laptops, tablets, and gaming systems; washers, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, and ovens; and additional seasonal items like outdoor furniture and fireplaces. Everything available in Aaron’s stores and on the Aaron’s website is available for lease-to-own. Brands in common with Rent-A-Center are:
- Appliances: None; Rent-A-Center sells Amana, Maytag, and Whirlpool, while Aaron’s sells other brands including Frigidaire, Philips, and GE Appliances.
- Electronics: HP, LG, Microsoft, Nintendo, Samsung, and Sony
- Furniture: Ashley
- Payment options: Like Rent-A-Center, Aaron’s offers a shorter-term payment plan with no interest or fees. It also offers longer contracts. Delivery and set-up are included with any purchase at most Aaron’s locations.
- Contracts: Leases of 12, 18, or 24 months with bi-weekly or monthly payment schedules
- Same as cash: Aaron’s has a shorter same-as-cash payment period than Rent-A-Center, requiring full payment within 120 days (90 days in California) for leasing fees to be waived.
- Return and repair policies: Aaron’s accepts returns, but will not issue refunds on lease payments. Like Rent-A-Center, Aaron’s keeps your lease payments on record and allows you to restart the lease later if you wish. See our article for Aaron’s full cancellation policy. We also have articles on the Aaron’s damage policy and policy for stolen items.
- Location: Aaron’s has nearly 2,000 stores across the U.S. Find an Aaron’s near you.
- For more information about Aaron’s, see our article about Aaron’s and stores very similar to Aaron’s.
- Items available: Bestway offers living and bedroom sets, dinettes, recliners, washers, dryers, ovens, refrigerators, TVs, gaming systems, laptops, and tablets, among other household electronics and furnishings. All items listed on Bestway’s website are available for rent-to-own. Some online items may not be stocked in-store, but can be special ordered if necessary. Brands in common with Rent-A-Center include:
- Appliances: Amana, Maytag, Whirlpool
- Electronics: HP, LG, Microsoft, Samsung
- Furniture: Ashley
- Payment options: At Bestway Rent-to-Own, you can choose a short-term payment plan with no extra fees or take on an extended contract. As with Rent-A-Center, delivery and set-up are included free of charge.
- Contracts: Lease terms vary by item, but rent-to-own contracts are available with weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly, or monthly payment schedules.
- Same as cash: The Bestway “Quick-To-Own” plan has a shorter payoff period than Rent-A-Center, giving you four months to pay the item price (plus taxes) in full with no leasing fees.
- Return and repair policies: Bestway offers free repairs during the rental period and, like Rent-A-Center, will provide a loaner while repairing the item. Returns are available at any time, for any reason. Like Rent-A-Center, Bestway allows you to resume your lease at a later date if you wish under its Lifetime Reinstatement policy.
- Location: Bestway Rent-to-Own has locations in southern US states only. Find a Bestway Rent-to-Own.
Buddy’s Home Furnishings
- Items available: Furniture is available at Buddy’s for all areas of the home including living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, home offices, and outdoor spaces. Other items include washers, dryers, air conditioners, ovens, refrigerators, tablets, computers, gaming systems, TVs, and smartphones. Note that while all items on the Buddy’s Home Furnishings website are available for rent-to-own, not all items may be available in your local store. Items not available locally can be shipped to your local store, but there will be a wait time of approximately 2-3 weeks. Brands sold by both Buddy’s and Rent-A-Center include:
- Appliances: None; Buddy’s sells brands like Frigidaire, GE, and Kenmore, while Rent-A-Center sells Amana, Maytag, and Whirlpool appliances.
- Electronics: Dell, HP, Lenovo, LG, Microsoft, Nintendo, Samsung, Sony
- Furniture: Ashley
- Payment options: As at Rent-A-Center, Buddy’s Home Furnishings customers can choose a same-as-cash payment plan, paying only the item price plus any applicable tax. There are also flexible contracts with several payment schedules to choose from.
- Contracts: Contract terms vary by store but typically include weekly or monthly payment schedules. The number of payments is determined based on the item’s total cost and the frequency of the payment schedule.
- Same as cash: The Buddy’s same-as-cash payment option is similar to Bestway and Aaron’s, but shorter than Rent-A-Center; you have four months rather than six to pay for the item with no leasing fees.
- Return and repair policies: Buddy’s Home Furnishings offers free product service/repair during the rental period. A loaner may be offered while the item is being repaired, depending on availability. Buddy’s also has a lifetime reinstatement policy similar to Rent-A-Center, which allows you to “pause” your lease and restart it at a later date.
- Location: If you’re in the south or central US, Buddy’s may be for you. Find a Buddy’s Home Furnishings.