Rent-A-Center is a rent-to-own store offering furniture, appliances, and electronics online as well as in over 3,000 stores in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Rent-A-Center offers 6 months same-as-cash and a worry-free guarantee. Keep reading for details about renting to own through Rent-A-Center.
How Rent-A-Center Works
What Is Rent-A-Center?
Rent-A-Center offers rent-to-own payment plans for furniture, electronics, and appliances, letting you take the prices of big-ticket items and spread them out into small, affordable payments. So you can furnish, redecorate, or upgrade items for your home without needing to provide full payment upfront or put the purchase on a credit card. Once you make your final payment, you’ll own the item or items that were included in your rental agreement.
At Rent-A-Center, rent-to-own furniture items include a variety of living room sets, sofas, recliners, TV stands, electric fireplaces, and dining room sets. Furniture items also include bedroom furniture for adults and kids and mattresses. Rent-to-own appliances include refrigerators, freezers, ovens, dishwashers, and washers and dryers. Rent-to-own electronics include computers, smartphones, TVs, home theater and audio systems, and video game consoles.
Rent-A-Center is different from many other rent-to-own stores as it does not offer rental contracts for a specific amount of time such as 12, 18, or 24 months. Instead, Rent-A-Center offers a 6 month same-as-cash option in which you can pay off your purchase within 6 months free of interest or fees. If you need more than 6 months to pay off your purchase, you can then choose to make payments as often as meets your needs. You can choose a payment plan that lines up with your paychecks such as a weekly payment plan, a twice a month plan, or a once a month plan. You will continue making payments until your purchase is paid in full.
You don’t need to have established credit to use the rent-to-own program, but you will be required to provide an address, employment information, and a few references. It’s a good idea to get that information together in preparation for your visit to Rent-A-Center. You can also apply for rent-to-own online.
If you find that you’re struggling with the payment plan you chose, Rent-A-Center allows you to return your items and pause your payments at any time. By pausing payments, you don’t lose the money you’ve already invested in your new items. Rent-A-Center will let you resume payments and receive your items, or comparable items, again whenever you’re ready.
Rent-A-Center Worry-Free Guarantee
A perk of renting through Rent-A-Center is the worry-free guarantee, which means there are no hidden fees for services like delivery and set-up or repairs — all of these services are already included in the rent-to-own payment plan. If your purchase needs repairs, Rent-A-Center will even provide a loaner item while you wait for yours to be repaired. You also have the option of upgrading your rent-to-own item while it is still under your payment plan. There are no service fees to upgrade, and your payments will just be adjusted according to the new item you choose for your upgrade.
It’s important to note, however, that some services, such as no additional charge for delivery and setup, may vary by Rent-A-Center location. Make sure to ask your local Rent-A-Center representative for specific details on what is or is not included with your rent-to-own payment plan. You may look up your local Rent-A-Center store online.
Places Like Rent-A-Center
There are many stores like Rent-A-Center that have rent-to-own or lease-to-own options for furniture, appliances, and electronics. Below, we’ve compiled the list of stores like Rent-A-Center based on the merchandise they offer, same-as-cash options, and payment schedules.
- Items available: Everything in Aaron’s stores and on Aaron’s website is available for lease-to-own. Items include:
- Furniture: Sofas and sectionals, living rooms, bedrooms, dining rooms, mattress sets, recliners and chairs, TV stands, and accessories
- Electronics: TVs, TV bundles, laptops and tablets, desktops and monitors, gaming, audio and video
- Appliances: Washers and dryers, refrigerators, freezers, and ovens
- Seasonal: Lawn and outdoor, fireplaces
- Payment plans:
- Lease-to-own: 12, 18, or 24-month plan options with an option of making one or two payments per month
- Same as cash: If you pay off your plan within 120 days (90 days in California), you will pay the price for your merchandise plus tax and the cost of lease services will be waived.
- Source: A customer service representative and the Aaron’s “Own It” page
- Find an Aaron’s
- For more information about Aaron’s, see our article about Aaron’s and stores like Aaron’s.
2. Bestway Rent-to-Own
- Items available: All items online are available for rent-to-own. Some items online may not be stocked in stores, but they can be special ordered if necessary. Items include:
- Furniture: Living rooms, bedrooms, mattresses, dinettes, recliners, fireplaces, and accessories
- Appliances: Washers and dryers, ovens, refrigerators, and freezers
- Electronics: TVs, smartphones, audio, TV stands, and game systems
- Computers: Laptops and tablets
- Payment plans:
- Rent-to-own: Contract terms vary depending on the item. Payments are available as weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly options.
- Same as cash: Pay off your item or items within 90 days and pay the item amounts plus applicable taxes.
- Source: Bestway Rent-to-Own corporate customer service.
- Location: Bestway Rent-to-Own has locations in Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas. Find a Bestway Rent-to-Own.
3. Buddy’s Home Furnishings
- Items available: While all items on the Buddy’s Home Furnishings website are available for rent-to-own, not all items may be available in your local store. Items not available locally can be shipped to your local store, but there will be a wait time of approximately 2-3 weeks. Items available for rent-to-own include:
- Furniture: Living rooms, bedrooms, dining rooms, home office, home entertainment, accent, and accessories
- Electronics: TVs, smartphones, game systems, audio systems, and DVD/ Blu-ray players
- Computers: Tablets, desktop, and laptops
- Appliances: Washers and dryers, air conditioners, ovens, dishwashers, refrigerators, and freezers
- Outdoor: Lawn and garden, outdoor furniture
- Payment plans:
- Rent-to-own: Contracts vary depending on the item but are usually offered in 12, 18, or 24-month terms. Payments are available as weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly options.
- Same as cash: Pay off your item or items within 4 months and pay only the item prices and applicable taxes.
- Source: A customer service representative and the Buddy’s Home Furnishings website
- Location: Buddy’s Home Furnishings has locations throughout the central and southeastern U.S. as well as in New Mexico. Find a Buddy’s Home Furnishings.
Rent-A-Center offers rent-to-own payment plans for furniture, appliances, and electronics. Rent-A-Center has a variety of payment options including weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly payments. Rent-A-Center also offers a 6 month same-as-cash option, and its worry-free guarantee means that delivery, setup, and repair fees are all included in your rental agreement. Other rent-to-own stores like Rent-A-Center include Aaron’s, Bestway Rent-to-Own, and Buddy’s Home Furnishings. For additional retailers who offer rent-to-own options on a variety of items, visit our articles about Progressive Leasing Stores, Rent to Own Furniture Stores, and Rent to Own Online Stores.