Finding the right ring for that special person in your life can be overwhelming. Instead of hunting around for what looks right, it may be simpler to create what’s in your mind. These days, there are places to design your own ring, both online or in-person. While most places only offer custom engagement rings, we found a few that let you design any kind of ring, such as class rings, wedding bands, signet rings, and statement pieces. We’ve covered what you need to know about the design process at each store. Enjoy!
Online Stores Where You Can Design Your Own Ring
While you might be a little hesitant to design and order a custom ring online, all of the websites listed have consultants available to help you with the process and each site shows detailed pictures of the rings and gemstones. Some of the stores will even send you a computerized rendering or a wax model of your ring before finalizing the design.
1. Blue Nile
- Customization Process: Blue Nile’s custom design process is simple and straightforward. You start by either selecting your diamond or your setting. Diamond selection filters include price, karat, clarity, shape, cut, and color. Ring filters include price, metal, metal karat (14K and 18K), style, and designer. If you choose a ring style with side stones, you are able to choose those diamonds, too. After your selections are finalized, you select your ring size and can choose to have the ring engraved.
- Types of Rings: Engagement
- Can you use your own stones or bands? No.You must use choose Blue Nile’s stones and bands to make a custom ring.
- Price: Varies depending on ring type, band material, stone setting, and type of stone. The cheapest diamond costs about $250 and the most expensive diamond cost almost $3 million. Rings range in price from $200 – $6,500.
- Create a custom ring on the Blue Nile website.
2. Brilliant Earth
Brilliant Earth is a jewelry company dedicated to providing customers with ethical, responsibly-sourced jewelry. The company sources conflict-free diamonds and uses recycled precious metals.
- Customization Process: Brilliant Earth has a four-step process:
- Request a free quote based on your design concept, precious metal, gemstones, and ring size.
- Brilliant Earth’s jewelry designers will take your ideas, drawings, and images to help you create a design concept. Gemological Institute of America (GIA) Graduate Gemologists are available to help you select a conflict-free gemstone for your design.
- After the design concept is finalized and an order is placed, Brilliant Earth will create a wax or computerized model of your piece. Images of the wax or computerized model will be sent for you to approve or request modifications.
- Once you’ve given your final approval, the production team will cast the design in the recycled precious metal of your choice. Gemstones are then set by expert craftsmen. The finished piece is inspected by Brilliant Earth’s Quality Assurance team and shipped in the company’s distinctive eco-friendly packaging.
- Types of Rings: Engagement, wedding, custom gemstone, and custom diamond
- Can you use your own stones or bands? No. You must use Brilliant Earth’s stones and bands as the company strives to use conflict-free, ethical, and/or recycled materials.
- Price: Custom ring prices start at $2,000.
- Create a custom ring on the Brilliant Earth website.
- Note: To start creating a custom ring, you must open the engagement ring menu and click on “Create Your Own Diamond Ring” or “Create Your Own Gemstone Ring.”
- Customization Process: The customization process at CustomMade varies by the type of ring you choose. For example, the engagement ring process is more involved than the other ring types and allows you to choose everything from stone setting to the type of stone you like, there is even an option available to have the ring designers find a stone for you. After completing the ring customization you’ll be able to review the options you chose. You will then submit your request and hear back from the design team anywhere from an hour for a simple band to 24 hours for an engagement ring.
- Types of Rings: Engagement, wedding, band, signet/crest, class, and statement rings
- Can you use your own stones or bands? Yes. You are able to use your own stone while designing a ring. You are given three options for selecting your stone: (1) use your own stone and CustomMade will design a custom setting for it, (2) browse stones on your own and select a stone for CustomMade to design a custom setting around, and (3) ask CustomMade’s gemologists for help picking out a stone.
- Price: Will vary depending on ring type, band material, stone setting, and type of stone. After going through the customization process, CustomMade generates a price estimate based on stone setting and band material only. The price of the stone is not included in the estimate. To give you an idea of what to expect, we went through the customization process and chose a solitaire diamond engagement ring with an 18K rose gold band and the estimate came out to $895.
- Create a custom ring on the Custom Made website.
4. Fascinating Diamonds
- Customization Process:
- Select a center diamond and then submit a ring design form online. The designers will guide you in making the correct design choices for the ring you want and present you with an initial price quote.
- Fascinating Diamonds will then create a rough computer illustration to give you a sample picture of your ring. Once the design is sketched, it will be sent to you for approval. If you need any changes, alterations will be made to the illustration. The final price of the ring will be discussed once the sample is finalized.
- Once the ring sample is approved, Fascinating Diamonds will begin creating the ring using either hand pulled wire or wax casting. The center diamond will be set in place by a skilled jeweler. Finally, the casting will be replaced by the precious metal of your choice.
- Types of Rings: Engagement and wedding
- Can you use your own stones or bands? Yes. Although Fascinating Diamonds prefers to use its own stones, you can request to use your own stone by contacting customer service. According to Fascinating Diamonds’ FAQs, they will also help you find your perfect diamond even if you can’t find what you want on the company’s website.
- Price: You will receive an initial price quote after submitting a custom design ring form. You will be able to discuss the final price of the ring after your ring’s computer illustration is finalized.
- Create a custom ring on the Fascinating Diamonds website.
5. Green Lake Jewelry Works
- Customization Process: Green Lake Jewelry has three custom design options:
- “Have it Now”: With this option, you select a stock piece from Green Lake Jewelry’s gallery and personalize it with your choice of gemstone, accent gems, filigree, or hand engraving.
- “Have it Customized”: Have a Green Lake Signature Original Design custom made to order. With this option, you can customize any part of the design including gemstone, metal, shank style, hand engraving, carved patterns, accent gems, and more.
- “Design Your Own”: This option gives you the most creative freedom and allows you to create a ring completely from scratch. You will consult with a Green Lake artist to create an original ring.
- Types of Rings: Engagement and wedding
- Can you use your own stones or bands? Yes. Green Lake Jewelry will accept your stones as long as they are in good condition.
- Price: Vary depending on the design options you choose, from as low as $570 to almost $13,000. You will need to live chat with a designer online or call customer service for help with pricing.
- Create a custom ring on the Green Lake Jewelry website.
6. James Allen
- Customization Process:
- Choose a diamond, either use a stone from James Allen (where a customer service representative can help you if you need it) or use your own stone.
- Fill out and submit the custom design ring form and the James Allen design team will get back to you with an initial price quote.
- When you are ready to move forward, James Allen will create a 3D computer rendering of your ring and confirm the final price with you.
- James Allen will create your piece using either hand pulled wire or wax casting. Your gemstone will be set into the polish piece by an experienced jeweler. James Allen says that the finished piece should be delivered to you within 30 days of beginning the custom design process.
- Types of Rings: Engagement and wedding
- Can you use your own stones or bands? Yes. According to James Allen’s FAQs, the company encourages customers to choose their own diamonds so that each ring is truly unique. Most of the time, James Allen will not charge extra for setting a loose stone into a ring. However, a $100 setting fee will be charged for rings with halo settings, other unique designs, or tension settings.
- Price: You will be given an initial price quote after submitting a request for a custom ring. You will be able to confirm the final price of the ring after you receive a 3D computer rendering of your ring and approve the final design.
- Create a custom ring on the James Allen website.
7. Joseph Jewelry
- Customization Process: Joseph Jewelry gives you a few different design options:
- Customize any item on the website. With this option, you can customize any details about the piece you have chosen by simply instructing our designer on the desired modification you want.
- Redesign. You can upload your own drawings, which will be professionally recreated, or show Joseph Jewelry pictures of a ring you like.
- Create your own. Design your own ring from scratch by either filling out a form explaining your idea or using the ring builder, which allows you step by step to pick the elements you most desire to be in your ring.
- Types of Rings: Engagement, wedding, anniversary, and fashion rings
- Can you use your own stones or bands? No. Joseph Jewelry ensures that the diamonds, precious metals, and stones used in its jewelry are 100% ethical and conflict free and will only use materials from trusted sources.
- Price: You will be able to receive a free quote on any item in the gallery. For a custom piece made from scratch, you will receive a free price estimate after you choose your design, gemstones, and metal. Prices vary depending on the design options you choose.
- Create a custom ring on the Joseph Jewelry website.
8. Soundwave Jewellery by Danielle Crampsie
- Customization Process: Soundwave Jewellery allows you to record a personal message and have the sound waves engraved into rings, necklaces, and bracelets. According to the website, sound waves are unique to the individual, making your message truly special and personal. The first step is to choose your ring design and submit your order. After receiving your order and deposit, Danielle Crampsie will be in touch to discuss your sound wave recording. Recommended audio recording lengths will be suggested for the design you’ve chosen. If you already have a sound wave, a design will be suggested based on the look of your personal voice wave. The custom piece will take approximately 4 – 8 weeks to create.
- Types of Rings: Fashion and engagement
- Can you use your own stones or bands? No. According to the Soundwave Jewellery engagement ring design page, the center stone will be sourced from reputable stone dealers working in small family businesses. You will be provided with a selection of stones based on your shape, size, color, and budget requests. If you are concerned about the ethical aspects of diamonds, a Canadian diamond from local mines can be provided.
- Price: Regular rings range in price from under $300 to over $1500. Engagement ring prices do not include the price of the center stone, which ranges from about $1,450–$1,830.
- Create a custom ring on the Soundwave Jewellery website.
9. Taylor & Hart
- Customization Process: Taylor & Hart has a five-step process that takes about four weeks to complete:
- Choose a design from Taylor & Hart’s collection or share your ideas with a consultant.
- Receive a price quote from your personal consultant.
- Choose your center diamond or gemstone.
- Review and finalize your design. You will receive initial sketches and a 3D computer image of your ring. You can make changes to your ring up to three times and this service is complimentary with no obligation. For a small fee, you can even have a sterling silver model made for you to see and touch.
- Place your order. Once you are satisfied with your design, you will receive a final quote. After you complete your payment online, your ring will be made.
- Types of Rings: Engagement
- Can you use your own stones or bands? Yes. Taylor & Hart will create custom ring based around your own diamonds or gemstones under the following conditions:
- The setting and handling fee for any diamond or gemstone not purchased through Taylor & Hart costs $450.
- The diamond or colored gemstone must meet a minimum quality standard (D-J color, no overtone, and 100% eye clean/equivalent for gemstone) and you must provide certification for your diamond.
- If your diamond is not graded or certified, Taylor & Hart can have it done at IGL London at a cost of $200.
- Price: A consultant can give you a free quote based on your ideas, requirements, and price point. Custom ring prices start at $1,500.
- Create a custom ring on the Taylor & Heart website.
Brick and Mortar Jewelry Stores Where You Can Design Your Own Ring
The following jewelry stores all give you the option to design and purchase your ring online or in-store. It might be a good idea to go through the online customization process to get a better idea of what you’re looking for before visiting a jewelry consultant in-store.
10. Helzberg Diamonds
- Customization Process: Helzberg gives you three options to start out the custom design process: 1) select diamond, 2) select a colored diamond, or 3) select a setting. Diamond filters include price, shape, karat, color, clarity, cut, and certificate. Ring filters include price, style, gemstone shape support, karat, metal, and ring size. After making your final selections, you can review the completed ring before purchase. Helzberg offers a free in-store preview on up to two loose diamonds.
- Types of Rings: Engagement
- Can you use your own stones or bands? Yes. Helzberg gives you the option to purchase only the ring setting or only the stone. Bring your band and/or your loose stone to a Helzberg store to receive a consultation.
- Price: Diamond prices vary from $1,200 to nearly $300,000. After selecting a round diamond and all available ring styles, the cheapest ring listed at the time cost $525 and the most expensive ring cost over $5,000. Helzberg also shows the cost of the ring plus the selected diamond.
- Create a custom ring on the Helzberg Diamonds website.
- Find the nearest Helzberg Diamonds.
11. Kay Jewelers
- Customization Process: You start by either choosing a diamond or a ring style first. You are given five category options when picking a diamond: shape, karat, weight, price, or brand (Leo Diamonds or Tolkowsky Diamonds). You are given three options when starting with the ring: ring style, price, or brand (Neil Lane Bridal and The Leo Diamond). After choosing your diamond or ring, you’re taken to a customization page where you can pick your band material or find the exact diamond you want. If you chose your ring first, you will then choose your diamond and vice versa if you chose your diamond first. After finalizing your selection you can purchase your ring online or take the design code you are given on the review page into a Kay Jewelers store for a consultation.
- Types of Rings: Engagement Ring
- Can you use your own stones or bands? Yes. Kay Jewelers gives you the option to purchase only the setting or only the stone. You will need to bring to bring your band and/or loose stone to a Kay Jewelers store to receive a consultation.
- Price: The minimum price for a diamond is approximately $750 and the maximum price is just over $380,000. The minimum price for rings is $255 and maximum price is just over $4,000. So at the low end, a diamond engagement ring would cost about $1,000.
- Create a custom ring on the Key Jewelers website.
- Find a Kay Jewelers custom design center.
- Customization Process: Ritani has two design choices: create your own ring where you pair a diamond and a setting or a more in-depth custom ring design service.
- Types of Rings: Engagement
- Can you use your own stones or bands? Yes and No. The simpler create a ring service does allow you to purchase loose stones, but if you start with a setting, you must choose one of Ritani’s stones. After contacting the company about the more in-depth custom ring service, we were told that if you want to make an online purchase you must order a complete ring, diamond, and setting. If you already have a stone, you can purchase a setting only through one of Ritani’s authorized jewelers.
- Price: Will vary depending on all the choices you make. To give you an idea of what to expect, we went through the in-depth design process and chose a three stone 14K white gold ring with a round center diamond and round side diamonds and were quoted at a starting price of $4,460.
- Create a custom ring at Ritani using Ritani’s in-depth custom ring design service or Ritani’s simpler create a ring service.
- Find the location of a Ritani partner jewelry store for a free in-store preview of your ring before you buy.
13. Shane Co.
- Customization Process: Start off by choosing your ring style and then select your gemstone. When you’re done, you’ll be given an overview of your completed ring and have the option to purchase it online. You can filter the custom options in categories such as price, gender (his or hers), metal, stone shape, gem, halo shape, and engagement ring type.
- Types of Rings: Engagement, wedding, and fashion
- Can you use your own stones or bands? Yes. Shane Co. allows you to purchase only the ring setting or only a stone. You will need to bring your ring setting and/or loose stones to a Shane Co. store to receive a consultation.
- Price: The cheapest diamond listed at the time of our research was a low-quality pear cut diamond for under $200 and the most expensive diamond listed was a high-quality cushion cut diamond for just over $4,000. The cheapest ring listed at the time of our research was a 14K white gold swirl ring for about $300 and the most expensive was a classic round diamond engagement ring for about $8,000.
- Create a custom ring on the Shane Co. website.
- Find the nearest Shane Co.
- Customization Process: The Zales customization process is simple and straightforward. All you do is select your ring type and you’re taken to a page with hundreds of ring listings. You must click the open button next to “Create Your Perfect Ring” in order to select your ring style, stone shape, band material, price range, ring size, and karat weight.
- Types of Rings: Engagement, wedding, anniversary, eternity, and men’s diamond band
- Can you use your own stones or bands? Yes. You can only choose a ring setting in the customization process and you must find a stone on your own. However, Zales sells loose stones in store. You will need to bring your ring setting and/or loose stone to a Zales store to receive a consultation.
- Price: Will vary depending on ring type, band material, stone setting, and karat weight. When we selected all ring styles, 14K white gold, and a round diamond, rings ranged in price from about $250 to almost $3,000.
- Create a custom ring on the Zales website.
- Find the nearest Zales.
- Want to find out how long Zales takes to ship your order? We have the answer.
If you can’t pay for the ring in full upfront, don’t fret! Many of the stores listed above offer monthly payment plans. For more information on these stores and others like it check out our article on stores that offer engagement ring financing.
Creating a custom ring is easier than ever as most places walk you through the design process step by step. You can either design a ring from the comfort of your home or visit an in-store location to speak with a jewelry consultant. No matter what type of ring you’re looking for (engagement/wedding, class ring, etc.) or what your price range may have, you should be able to create the perfect ring at any of the stores listed above. Enjoy the process!
Want to save big on an engagement ring? Consider making one with moissanite. Here’s our article where we discuss that.