Most prepaid cards do not allow cardholders to write checks. However, there are a few prepaid card issuers that offer check-writing with select prepaid debit card accounts. We list the prepaid cards with checks below.
Note that all of these cards require you to be a registered cardholder with a personalized card featuring your name to order or use checks. Temporary prepaid cards that do not feature the cardholder’s name are not eligible for checks. Additionally, since prepaid cards include a set amount of funds, you will need to preauthorize each check before writing it to confirm that you have enough funds in your account.
In compiling this list, we checked each card’s account disclosures and cardholder agreements and confirmed the details with customer service representatives.
Bluebird by American Express
- Fees: About $20 for a checkbook of 40 checks, plus shipping and tax; Shipping costs will vary depending on your order size and location.
- Limits: $15,000 per month and $100,000 per year (Note: Pre-authorization for checks over $2,000 can take up to two business days.)
- How to order: Log into Bluebird.com, select “Settings,” and then select “Order Checks.” This will take you to the Harland Clarke website — Bluebird’s check provider — where you can order checks in books of 40 checks each. You cannot order checks from any website other than the Harland Clarke website, accessed through your Bluebird.com account.
- Shipping: Your checks should arrive within 10 business days. Harland Clarke will provide a tracking number; you can also contact Harland Clarke at (855) 852-9534 to check the status of your order.
Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card
- Fees: About $6 for 12 checks; no additional charge for shipping
- Limits: There is no separate limit for check writing, but check authorizations count toward your $3,000-per-day total purchase limit.
- How to order: Log into the Green Dot app or your online account and select “Paper Checks” in the “Pay” menu. You do not need to enter separate payment information to order checks; Green Dot will deduct the fee amount from your account balance. You cannot order checks from any other website.
- Shipping: Your checks will arrive within two weeks of the date you place your order.
Green Dot Load & Go Prepaid Visa Card
- Fees: About $6 for a 12-pack of checks; Green Dot does not charge an additional fee for shipping.
- Limits: Your total daily spend limit — which includes check, debit, and other transactions — is $3,000 per day.
- How to order: Log into your Green Dot account in the app or online. In the “Pay” menu, select “Paper Checks” to place an order. Green Dot will deduct the check fees from your prepaid card balance. You cannot order checks from a third-party check-printing service.
- Shipping: Your checks will arrive within two weeks.
Green Dot Prepaid Visa Card
- Fees: About $6 for a pack of 12 checks; shipping is free
- Limits: Total daily spend limit of $3,000, including both check and card transactions
- How to order: Log into your Green Dot account online or in the Green Dot app. Select “Paper Checks” in the “Pay” menu to place an order. Green Dot will deduct the fee from your card balance. You cannot order checks from third-party check printers.
- Shipping: Your checks will arrive within two weeks of placing your order.
Money Network Prepaid Debit Card
- Fees: None — Money Network offers free checks for prepaid debit cardholders.
- Limits: $1,000 per check
- How to order: Your first pack of Money Network Checks will arrive with your welcome packet. To order additional checks, call Money Network’s cardholder services department at (866) 387-5146.
- Shipping: Your checks should arrive within about 10 days.
- Fees: About $6 for a pack of 12 checks (deducted from your card balance); no additional charge for shipping
- Limits: Walmart MoneyCard does not disclose a set limit for check writing. The limit for all transactions is $3,000 per day.
- How to order: Log into the Green Dot app or your Walmart MoneyCard online account. Select “Paper Checks” in the “Pay” menu, then select your checks and submit your order.
- Shipping: Your checks should arrive within two weeks of the date you place your order.
Prepaid Cards That Don’t Offer Checks
The following prepaid cards may issue paper checks to the payee during certain bill payment transactions or to the cardholder when the account closes. However, they do not let cardholders order or write personal checks:
- AAA MemberPay Visa Prepaid Card
- AAA Visa TravelMoney Prepaid Card
- AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card
- ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card
- Akimbo Prepaid Mastercard
- American Express Serve
- BB&T MoneyAccount Prepaid Debit Card
- Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard
- Cash App Cash Card
- Commerce Bank mySpending Card
- Control Prepaid Mastercard
- Current Teen Banking Prepaid Visa Card
- FamZoo Prepaid Mastercard
- Fred Meyer Rewards Prepaid Debit
- gohenry Prepaid Mastercard
- Greenlight Prepaid Mastercard
- H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard
- Kroger REWARDS Prepaid Mastercard
- Kroger REWARDS Prepaid Visa
- Momentum Prepaid Mastercard
- Momentum Visa Prepaid Debit Card
- MOVO Digital Prepaid Visa Debit Card
- MyVanilla Prepaid Mastercard
- MyVanilla Prepaid Visa Card
- Netspend Premier Prepaid Mastercard
- Netspend Premier Prepaid Visa
- Netspend Prepaid Mastercard
- Netspend Prepaid Visa
- Opt+ Prepaid Visa Debit Card
- Payoneer Prepaid Card
- PayPal Prepaid Mastercard
- PNC SmartAccess Prepaid Visa Card
- Ralphs Rewards Visa Prepaid Debit Card
- Regions Now Card
- RushCard Live Prepaid Visa Card
- Starbucks Rewards Visa Prepaid Card
- TD Connect Reloadable Prepaid Card
- TD Go Reloadable Prepaid Card
- Western Union Netspend Prepaid Mastercard
- Xpectations Visa Prepaid Card
Bluebird by American Express, the Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card, the Green Dot Load & GO Prepaid Visa Card, the Green Dot Prepaid Visa Card, the Money Network Prepaid Debit Card, and the Walmart MoneyCard allow cardholders to order and write personal checks. Each requires a personalized card with the cardholder’s name, and checks can be ordered online, usually for a small fee plus tax and shipping. Most come with a total daily spending limit for all transactions.
For more information about prepaid card features, see our list of prepaid cards that include EMV chips. Also, see our research on how to transfer money from a checking account to a prepaid card and prepaid cards with overdraft coverage.