At Publix, a regional grocery store in the south-eastern US, you can also buy money orders and cash checks. If you need either of these services, you can combine a trip to get groceries and these financial errands. Money orders at Publix are affordable backed by Western Union. You can cash personal and payroll checks for a small fee, up to the applicable limits. Read on for the details.
In the Article
- Does Publix Sell Money Orders?
- Does Publix Cash Money Orders?
Publix Money Order Policy
Does Publix Sell Money Orders?
If you’re looking to buy a money order, you can save yourself a trip to the bank and just buy one on your next trip to Publix. Purchasing a money order at Publix is simple. Just go to a checkout counter, tell the cashier you want to purchase a money order. Once you pay for the money order, you can use it to make payments in the same way you would a check.
To help you further, we’ve come up with an easy-to-use list that tells you everything you need to know about the cost, limits, and payment method for your Publix money order.
- Type of money order: Western Union
- Fee: $0.85 to $0.89
- Limit: $500. If you need a money order for more than $500, you’ll have to buy more than one.
- Payment method: Cash, debit, or prepaid card. You cannot use checks, gift cards, or credit cards to buy money orders.
- Location: Available at all Publix, which are typically open 7 AM to 10 PM, seven days per week.
- Find your nearest Publix
Does Publix Cash Money Orders?
Publix can’t cash a money order. If you need to cash a money order, our article Where Can I Cash a Western Union Money Order can help you find a place that will cash your money order.
Publix Check Cashing Policy
Publix cashes only personal checks and payroll checks. However, you can’t cash tax return checks, tax refund checks, rebate checks, personal checks written to you by another party, deposit checks from utilities, at Publix.
- Requirements: Driver’s license, military ID, or a state-issued identification card. In addition, some customers have reported that certain Publix locations will not cash a payroll check unless the employer’s phone number is printed on the check
- Fee: $3 to $6, depending on type of check and amount
- Limits: One personal check of up to $75 per day; one payroll check of up to $500 per week
- Hours: Typically 7 AM – 10 PM, 7 days a week.
- More information: Publix Customer Services FAQs
- Find a Publix store near you.
Publix doesn’t cash money orders but it does sell them for less than $1. Publix also cashes personal checks under $75 or payroll checks under $500 in all of its grocery stores. Open later than banks and on the weekends, Publix makes it easy and convenient to take care of some of your banking needs while you do your grocery shopping.
If Publix doesn’t have what you need, there are lots of other options if you need another store that sells money orders and cashes checks. See our article, Where Can I Get a Money Order?, for a complete list of places to buy one, including grocery stores, banks and credit unions, check cashing stores, and more. See our article Grocery Stores That Cash Checks: Personal, Payroll, Insurance, etc, for our complete list of grocery stores that cash checks.