Customers that choose rent-to-own rims and tires can choose from one of the following stores that operate online and/or have physical locations. Be aware that not all companies listed provide rent-to-own tires and wheels in Minnesota, New Jersey, Vermont, Wisconsin, and Wyoming since rent-to-own contracts are more heavily regulated in those states.
The Advantages of Rent-to-Own Tires and Wheels
Rent-to-own packages can ease the burden of paying a large fee up front to own tires and instead allow you to pay in smaller installments for the exact wheel and tire combination you desire. Rent-to-own packages are a viable alternative if you have bad or no credit. They are also a great alternative if you would like a higher-end wheel and tire combination but can’t justify spending a lot of money at once. Many rent-to-own providers also have return and exchange policies in place so you can try different brands of wheels and tires before committing to one brand.
The Disadvantages of Rent-to-Own Tires and Wheels
While rent-to-own packages are an attractive option to those with little cash and poor credit, buyers will ultimately end up paying more for their rent-to-own wheels and tires than they would for the same tires bought outright. Like payday loans and pawn shops, rent-to-own tires and wheels are a way for people with poor credit to get access to credit, but at rates that can be burdensome.
Some rent-to-own contracts make it extremely difficult to change your mind later or leave the contract if you find you can’t pay. Some even persist through bankruptcy.
Failure to keep up with payments sometimes triggers aggressive repossession procedures. And, since rent-to-own companies technically own the tires and wheels until they are completely paid off, failure to pay is even considered theft by law enforcement in some jurisdictions.
The Buying Process
Customers will have to complete an application and may need to provide certain personal information such as proof of insurance or income. This information is generally used in place of the sort of background check required for traditional financing.
Online wheel and tire providers generally include free shipping. Local rent-to-own tire stores usually ask that customers pick up their tires in the store and often include installation services in the price. If you are interested in having your tires delivered, inquire at local stores with your specific needs.
Most packages include four of the same wheel and tire combinations but some places offer staggered packages. Check with the individual retailer for details on which rent-to-own wheel and tire packages are right for you.
Where to Find Rent-to-Own Wheels and Tires Online
1. Wheel Fire
- Locations: Online only (headquarters in Florida)
- Money Down: Depends on the tire and wheel combination and desired payment plan; you can select tires & wheels and request a quote from Wheel Fire online.
- Application Requirements: Last 4 digits of social security number
- Credit check required:No
- Payment plan:Plans of 3, 6, or 12 monthly payments; 10-30% APR depending on the plan
- Return policy: No returns on used or damaged items. You have 15 days from delivery to make the return. You must pay for shipping on returns. You’ll also pay 20% as a restocking fee. If a tire is still on a wheel, you’ll need to pay a $40 dismounting fee.
- What’s included:Free FedEx shipping, mounting, balancing, and an install kit
- Getting started: Explore your options on the Wheel Fire website by searching by vehicle or browsing wheels/browsing tires.
2. Discounted Wheel Warehouse
- Locations: Online services are available in all states except Minnesota, New Jersey, Vermont, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
- Money Down: $40 application fee
- Application Requirements: (1) Minimum income of $1,000 per month and at least 180 days with your current employer, and (2) a checking account that has been open for at least 90 days with no overdrafts
- Credit check required?No
- Payment plan: Buyers choose either: (1) a 90-day payment plan, (2) 50-65% early buyout option of remaining lease after 90 days with minimum payment required, or (3) full term 12-month payment plan.
- Return policy: Cancellations prior to shipment are subject to a cancellation fee equal to 20% of the invoice. Customers have five days to report damages or other problems with the order, must seek authorization before returning the order, and are responsible for shipping costs on returns. Tires cannot be returned once used, and other fees also apply. See Discounted Wheel Warehouse’s return policy for more information.
- What’s included:Mounting and balancing, and free FedEx shipping. Lug nuts or locking lug nuts can be purchased for an additional $40. Discounted Wheel Warehouse provides local installation at their California store.
- Getting started: Search the Discounted Wheel Warehouse website for your desired wheel and tire combination.
Where to Find Rent-to-Own Wheels and Tires Locally
- Locations: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia
- Money Down: As little as $50 – $100
- What is Needed: (1) Valid driver’s license, (2) valid vehicle registration, (3) valid vehicle insurance, and (4) personal references who do not live with you
- Credit check required:No
- Payment plan: Payment by cash or credit card. Payments are made until the full term of 12 or 18 months is completed. Payments are taken in-store, over the phone, or online. A “Same as Cash” program is also available to buy wheels or tires in 90 or 120 days as if cash was used.
- Return policy: Return wheels and tires at any time with no penalty.
- What’s included:Free installation, balancing, and rotation for the life of the tires
- Getting started: Use the “build your ride” function to browse what options are available for your vehicle or use the RimTyme store locator to find a RimTyme location near you.
4. Rent A Wheel
- Locations: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas
- Money Down: None, the first rental payment and start up fees are all that are needed.
- What is Needed: Applicants must show (1) monthly income, and (2) total monthly expenses.
- Credit check required:No
- Payment plan:Pay over the course of 3, 6, 9, or 12 months. A 90 day “Same as Cash” program is also available to buy wheels or tires in 90 days as if cash was used. A 50% discount off your remaining balance is offered after 90 days if more time is needed.
- Return policy:There is no obligation to buy; customers can try the wheels and return them for any reason.
- What’s included:Free installation, mounting and balancing, wheel weights, valve stems, wheel locks, rotation and balance for the life of the tires
- Get started: Search the Rent A Wheel website for your desired wheel and tire combination or use the Rent A Wheel store locator to find a location near you.
5. RNR Tire Express
- Location: Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Washington. Use the RNR store locator to find an RNR location near you.
- Money Down: Down payment depends on the while and/or tire selected and payment plan. You can request a quote on tires/request a quote on wheels on their website.
- What is Needed: (1) Valid driver’s license or state ID, (2) proof of residence (current utility bill), (3) vehicle registration, (4) Social Security Card, and (5) a pay stub for employment verification
- Credit check required:No
- Payment plan:Pay weekly, biweekly, or monthly. The 120 day Same as Cash program is also available to buy wheels or tires in 120 days as if cash was used.
- Return policy: Full refunds are available on unused items returned within 30 days in their original packaging. RNR will cover return shipping costs if the customer returns because of an RNR error. All returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee. Used or opened items can’t be returned. Read more about RNR’s terms and conditions online.
- What’s included: Services vary by location; use the RNR store locator to find an RNR near you.
- Getting Started: Customers can fill out a quick quote request online and browse wheels and tires on the RNR website.
6. Dan the Tire Man
- Locations: One location in Arizona. Dan the Tire Man ships nationwide, but the financing program is not available in Minnesota, New Jersey, Vermont, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
- Money Down:$49
- What is Needed: Must be at least 18 years old and (1) have an income of at least $1,000 per month, (2) have an active traditional checking account in good standing that has been open for at least 3 months, and (3) have a regular credit card or debit card linked to the checking account.
- Credit check required: No
- Payment plan: Payment is recommended within 90 days for the best deal. Payments remitted between 3 and 12 months of the contract date ensures payment of only 65% of the remaining lease amount. No APR.
- Return policy: Dan the Tire Man does not have a written return or cancellation policy. To find out what options are available, you can call Dan at (207) 316-2258 (Monday to Friday, 9-5 Eastern Standard Time).
- What’s included: Packages can be delivered mounted and balanced, ready to install.
- Getting started: Browse Dan the Tire Man’s website by vehicle, size, or brand, or apply for leasing online.
If you have limited resources, prefer making payments to paying a large sum up front, have no credit or poor credit, or want to try out a new set of wheels before you buy them, rent-to-own programs for wheels and tires can be a great choice. Many companies allow you to return your wheels and tires if you’re not satisfied, so don’t hesitate to try out a new set today. And, if you’re interested in other options available to help you afford a new set of wheels and tires, then check out our article on wheel and tire financing.