When you want to sell your unwanted or unused gift cards for cash, chances are there’s a store near you that wants them. We’ve listed the stores that buy gift cards and pay cash below, including grocery stores, check cashing stores, and more, as well as information about the minimum and maximum accepted gift card amounts, expected payment amounts, and how the process works.
Ways to Sell Gift Cards
When you have an unused or partially used gift card you no longer want, the first thing you can do is try to return it to the original retailer. Policies for this vary — for more information, see our article about gift card return policies by store and state.
Additionally, more and more companies are turning to online selling methods for both eGift cards and physical gift cards. You can get online offers for gift cards and mail physical cards in for payment. However, if you are specifically looking for places that offer cash for gift cards, you will not be able to get this payment method when selling eGift cards. None of the companies we researched that accept electronic gift cards will pay for them in cash; similarly, none of the places that pay cash for gift cards will accept electronic gift cards.
If you have eGift cards to sell or you don’t need payment in cash, our related article has the list of places that buy gift cards, both in-store and online.
What We Recommend
For the best gift card reselling option, you will likely want to take your gift card(s) to a store with a GiftCardBin partnership. GiftCardBin offers cash for gift cards valued at $10 or more at a variety of places, including Boost Mobile and check cashing stores like Money Mart.
Where to Sell Your Gift Cards for Cash
The following companies will buy gift cards and pay in cash. We’ve ordered the list starting with the best overall options.
Stores With a GiftCardBin Partnership
- How it works: Bring your unwanted physical gift card to a GiftCardBin location along with a form of ID and get cash for your gift card.
- Minimum gift card value accepted: $10
- Maximum gift card value accepted: $300 over 30 days
- Not accepted: Partially spent gift cards, eGift cards, and “promotional ” types of cards, which are defined on the website as cards that have limitations and rules (those that are more like a coupon than a gift card).
- Amount you receive: To receive a quote on your gift card, you can go to the store in person. GiftCardBin no longer buys gift cards online.
- Payment method: Cash
- Find locations: GiftCardBin partners with many local businesses, including check cashing stores and pawn shops. You can use the store locator to find a GiftCardBin partner near you. Stores that commonly partner with GiftCardBin include:
- Boost Mobile
- Cash 2 Go
- Daily Check Cashing (DCS)
- Money Mart
- Mundo Check Cashing
- The Check Cashing Place
- USA Checks Cashed
Check Into Cash
Check Into Cash is a payday loan and cash advance company that will also buy your unwanted gift cards and pay you in cash.
- How it works: Bring your unwanted physical gift card to a Check Into Cash location along with a form of ID and get cash for your gift card.
- Minimum gift card value accepted: $20
- Maximum gift card value accepted: Value varies by location; contact your local store for details.
- Not accepted: N/A
- Amount you receive: To receive a quote on your gift card, you must go to the store in person.
- Payment method: You will be paid in cash. The company also offers a U.S. Money Card prepaid debit card that you could choose to load the funds.
- Find locations: The company has locations in 29 states. You can use the store locator to find a Check Into Cash near you.
Currency Exchange offers a wide range of financial services and has more than 350 locations throughout Illinois. Currency Exchange accepts gift cards and will pay you for them in cash.
- How it works: Bring your unwanted physical gift card to a Currency Exchange location along with a government-issued photo ID. An associate will verify the amount of the gift card and make you a cash offer.
- Minimum gift card value accepted: Varies by locations; contact your local store for details
- Maximum gift card value accepted: Varies by location
- Not accepted: N/A
- Amount you receive: To get a quote, visit any Currency Exchange store. The company claims to offer half the value of the gift card.
- Payment method: Cash
- Find locations: The company is located only in Illinois. You can use the store locator to find a Currency Exchange near you.
There are several nationwide grocery stores and financial service retailers that will buy gift cards for cash. It’s always wise to call ahead to confirm that the business you plan to visit still pays cash for gift cards; you may also want to ask if you can get a quote before going to the store. For Coinstar kiosks, you may want to call and verify that the Coinstar machine is fully functional before making the trip.
If you don’t absolutely have to get cash for your gift card, see our list of gift card buyers with other types of payouts. We also detail your options for getting cash from an American Express gift card or Visa gift card, plus how to consolidate low-value gift cards.
- GiftCardBin customer service representative
- Check Into Cash customer service representative