Ever since eBay, the popularity of buying and selling used goods online has continued to increase. Now there are plenty of websites where you can sell your gently used designer clothing, shoes, accessories, and more on consignment and earn a little — or a lot of — extra cash. Tradesy is one of these websites that provides sellers with a hassle-free way to turn their used items into money without worrying about finding a buyer, shipping, or collecting payment.
In this article, we’ll take a look at how you can use Tradesy and sites like Tradesy to sell your gently used clothing and accessories.
How Does Tradesy Work?
Tradesy is an online consignment marketplace where you can buy and sell high quality designer women’s clothing, shoes, accessories, handbags, and wedding items — including wedding dresses! To buy or sell on Tradesy, you’ll need to create a free account.
When you list an item for sale on Tradesy, the website handles the full transaction. For items sold at less than $50, you’ll have to pay at fee of $7.50 per item. If you sell something for $50 or more, the commission fee is 19.8%. You can withdraw your funds to a bank account, debit card, or PayPal account at no additional charge.
When you sell something on Tradesy, you’ll receive a free prepaid shipping kit to send your item to the buyer. This shipping kit is not available for wedding items, however. Tradesy also handles any returns from buyers, so that you don’t have to deal with unsatisfied customers.
Websites Like Tradesy
If you’d like to sell used fashion items online, there are many sites similar to Tradesy with various options for commission fees, listing styles, and shipping and refund policies.
- What you can sell: Current name-brand fashion apparel and accessories for men and women
- How to sell: Crossroads operates physical retail locations for selling consignment goods. Sellers can drop off consignment items to be sold at any location, or request a bag with prepaid shipping to mail items directly to Crossroads for in-store sale.
- How much you’re paid:
- Cash: Receive 30% of the sale price for mail-in items or 33% for items dropped off at a Crossroads store
- Store credit: 50% of the sale price
- How you’re paid: Cash or store credit
- Shipping policy: Crossroads pays for you to ship your items to their store. Buyers shop in person, so there is no buyer shipping involved.
- Visit the Crossroads website or find your nearest Crossroads
- What you can sell: Designer men’s apparel, footwear, and accessories
- How to sell: Auction-style listings are created on the Grailed website. As a seller, you can accept multiple offers and ship to the buyer who pays first.
- How much you’re paid: The sale price of the item, minus 6% commission and PayPal fees (2.9% plus $0.30 for domestic transactions and 4.4% plus $0.30 for international transactions)
- How you’re paid: PayPal
- Shipping policy: You’re responsible for shipping items to buyers.
- Visit the Grailed website
3. Material World
- What you can sell: Designer women’s clothing, shoes, handbags, and accessories
- How to sell: Material World purchases items from sellers and then re-sells to buyers, rather than having you list them directly. Request a free shipping kit to send in your items for evaluation. You’ll receive an offer, which can be accepted as cash, store credit, or Fashion Trade-In Card credit. If you don’t accept the offer, your items are shipped back to you free of charge.
- How much you’re paid: The sale price of the item, minus 3% commission for cash sales. Full price if you choose to receive store credit or Trade-In Card.
- How you’re paid: Cash via PayPal, store credit (online at Material World), or reloadable Fashion Trade-In Card. The Fashion Trade-In Card is accepted at over 700 retailers, including Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Shopbop.
- Shipping policy: Shipping is free.
- Visit the Material World website
- What you can sell: Name brand clothing, shoes, accessories, handbags, and jewelry for men, women, and children
- How to sell: Create a listing on the Poshmark website to sell your items. You can increase exposure for your items and your chances of selling by joining virtual events called Posh Parties.
- How much you’re paid: The sale price of the item minus $2.95 for all sales under $15; or minus 20% commission for sales of $15 or more
- How you’re paid: Cash via PayPal or checking account; store credit
- Shipping policy: When you sell an item, Poshmark sends you a prepaid address label for shipping to the buyer.
- Visit the Poshmark website
5. The Real Real
- What you can sell: Name brand clothing, shoes, jewelry, handbags, accessories, and home items for women and men
- How to sell: Consignment style. You’ll be paid when The Real Real sells your item to a buyer.
- How much you’re paid:
- 55% on items sold for $1,500 or less and items with an original resale price of $120 or less
- 60% on items sold for $1,500.1-$1,999.00
- 70% on items sold for $10,000 or more
- 85% on fine watches with an original resale price of $2,500 or more
- How you’re paid: Direct deposit, mailed check, or store credit (receive an extra 5% when you accept store credit)
- Shipping policy: You can receive a free prepaid shipping label, schedule a free in-home pickup, or visit one of the company’s Luxury Consignment Offices to drop off items in person.
- Visit The Real Real website or find a The Real Real office location
- What you can sell: Designer women’s and children’s clothing; women’s handbags, accessories, and jewelry
- How to sell: ThredUP purchases items from you and then re-sells to buyers, rather than having you list items directly.
- How much you’re paid: Use the ThredUP Payout Estimator to find out how much you can get for your items.
- How you’re paid: Receive instant store credit for your items, or cash out after 14 days to receive funds via PayPal or a prepaid Visa card.
- Shipping policy: To sell items to ThredUP, you can request a Clean Out Bag through the website. Free postage-paid Clean Out Bags take approximately 53 days to process. You can also request an expedited Clean Up Bag for $9.99 with a processing time of approximately one week.
- Visit the ThredUP website
7. Vestiaire Collective
- What you can sell: Designer, luxury, and vintage clothing, handbags, shoes, accessories, and jewelry for men, women, and children
- How to sell: Items are listed and actively sold on the Vestiaire Collective website. Once the item is sold, you’ll receive payment.
- How much you’re paid: Varies by item, but on average you’ll receive 75% of the sale price for each item
- How you’re paid: Bank transfer or mailed paper check
- Shipping policy: Free shipping for sold items, which are shipped directly to Vestiaire Collective for processing and then sent to the buyer from the company
- Visit the Vestiaire Collective website
The luxury consignment website Tradesy can help you make money with the gently used clothing, shoes, and accessories you have collecting dust in your closets. You’ll pay either a flat fee of $7.50 for selling an item for under $50, or 19.8% of the sales price for an item over $50 at Tradesy. In return, Tradesy covers the cost of shipping and handles all returns. They’ll also transfer your proceeds to a bank account, debit card, or PayPal account for free. There are many other websites like Tradesy that also offer seller perks, such as free shipping and competitive commission rates.