While grocers and supermarkets are the most common kinds of stores that offer self-checkout, some convenience stores, big-box retailers, and other retailers also make use of these systems. In addition to self-checkout lanes, some stores allow customers to scan items with a “scan and go” app, pay online, and show their checkout code to an associate before leaving the store.
Below, we list the stores that have self-checkout. We also note which of these stores have scan-and-go apps. To gather this information, we contacted customer service representatives and several store locations of each chain.
Stores With Self-Checkout
Note: While we have marked the chains that told us they have limited self-checkout options, it is possible that even when a store typically offers self-checkout, some individual locations may not have the option.
- Food Lion
- Fred Meyer
- Giant Eagle (lanes and app)
- H-E-B (lanes and app)
- Kroger (lanes and app)
- Meijer (lanes and app)
- Publix (app and limited lanes)
- Save Mart Supermarkets
- Whole Foods (limited locations)
- BJ’s Wholesale Club
- Costco (limited locations)
- Sam’s Club (lanes and app)
- Walmart (See our research on Walmart’s self-checkout hours.)
- 7-Eleven (limited locations)
- Dollar General (limited locations)
Home Improvement Stores
- The Home Depot