Everyone who drives a car has to buy fuel (unless you drive a fully electric car of course), and gas credit cards can help you earn rewards for those necessary purchases. Having a bad credit history will limit your access to many secured and even unsecured gas credit cards, but there are options available for those with low credit scores. Below, we have the details of credit cards with gas rewards available to those with bad credit, plus a list of brand-loyal credit cards for those with scores of at least 700.
The List of Gas Credit Cards for Bad Credit
Here are the best gas credit cards for bad credit users. Having a low credit score will impact your eligibility for credit cards, including gas credit cards. However, there are credit cards with gas rewards available to those with less-than-ideal credit scores. See our list below.
Credit One Bank Platinum Visa Card
- Tip: This is an easy-to-attain card for people with a lackluster credit score, but keep in mind that it is a Credit One card, not a Capital One card.
- Rewards: 1% cash back on gas and other eligible purchases
- APR and Fees: See the current rates and fees in Credit One’s terms and conditions
- Compare cards and see if you’re pre-qualified at Credit One Bank
American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card
- Tip: Though this card involves an annual fee, regular fuel purchases earn you rewards that will easily compensate for the fee.
- Rewards: 3% cash back on all purchases at U.S. gas stations
- APR and Fees: See the current rates and fees at AmericanExpress.com
- Apply for the Blue Cash Preferred card
- Tip: This card provides rewards on gasoline purchases for only one quarter of the year, but the cashback rate is high enough to make it a good option.
- Rewards: 5% cash back on fuel for one quarter of the year, in rotation with other categories; 1% cash back on all other purchases
- APR and Fees: See the Chase Freedom Pricing & Terms document for up-to-date details
- Apply for the Chase Freedom card
Hilton Honors American Express Card
- Tip: This is a card particularly suitable for frequent travelers, offering rewards on gasoline, grocery purchases, and hotels.
- Rewards: You’ll earn five Hilton Honors bonus points for each dollar spent on fuel at U.S. gas stations.
- APR and Fees: See the current rates and fees in the Hilton Honors Credit Card cost disclosure
- Apply for a Hilton Honors American Express
Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi
- Tip: You don’t have to get gas at a Costco station to earn rewards with this card. Most fuel purchases worldwide are eligible for rewards.
- Rewards: 4% on fuel purchases up to $7,000 per year
- APR and Fees: See the current APRs and fees on the Costco website
- Apply for the Costco Anywhere Visa
The Best Brand Loyal Credit Cards for Those with a Credit Score of at Least 700
For people who have a credit score lower than 700 but have a favorite fuel station, bookmark this article and revisit it once your score has climbed. The following cards require a score of at least 700 but offer savings and rebates at particular gas station chains:
Those were the best gas gift cards for bad credit users. A gas credit card can be a way to improve a bad credit score. Fuel is something you buy on a regular basis. Having credit activity that you pay off regularly is the best way to improve your credit score. With credit cards like the Credit One Bank Platinum Visa and Chase Freedom card, you can be approved for a credit card despite your low score, can improve your credit over time, and can earn rewards on your fuel purchases.