Short Answer: Neither Uber nor the issuer of the Uber Visa Card, Barclays, makes information about its credit card approval process public. Additionally, applications are handled through the Uber app; there are no live customer service representatives available to help with the process. However, multiple third-party sources state that Uber credit card applicants need to have “good” credit in order to be approved. This usually means that your credit score needs to be between 660 and 690 or higher. For more details, see below.
Uber Credit Card Approval Odds
We reached out to Uber and the issuer of its credit card, Barclays, to find out about the Uber Visa Card application and approval process. We were repeatedly directed to the Uber app; no live customer service representatives were available to help with or answer questions about the process. To apply for the Uber Visa Card, you must have the Uber app for iOS or Android.
In general, applicants should have “good” credit — or a credit score of 660 or higher — in order to be approved for the Uber Visa Card. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CPFB) reports those with credit scores of 720 or greater saw their general-purpose credit card applications approved 80% of the time, and those with credit scores ranging from 660 to 719 were approved 60% of the time. With anything lower than a credit score of 660, applicants saw a sharp drop in approval rates.
In addition to your credit score, most credit card issuers will consider your income, payment history, and outstanding balances on any current accounts when processing your application.
Part of the reason you need good credit to qualify for the Uber Visa Card is because of its perks and rewards, which include:
- Earn $100 after spending $500 on purchases in the first 90 days
- 4% back on restaurants, takeout, and bars, including Uber Eats
- 3% back on airfare, hotels, and vacation home rentals
- 2% back on online purchases, including Uber rides
- 1% back on all other purchases
- Up to $600 in mobile phone protection, including damage and theft when you use your Uber Visa Card to pay your monthly mobile phone bill
- You may be selected to take advantage of exclusive access to select events and offers, primarily anticipated in cities like New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Washington, D.C.
Keep in mind, once approved, if you don’t use your Uber Visa Card for six consecutive billing cycles, you may not be able to participate in the rewards program. And, instead of cash back, you’ll receive points that can be used for statement credit, Uber credit, or gift cards. For more on the terms and conditions of the Uber Visa Card, visit Barclays’ website.
For more credit card options, see our article on instant-approval credit cards.