Short Answer: Victoria’s Secret may automatically increase your Angel Card credit limit about six to nine months after opening a new account if your account is current and you have made on-time payments. Alternately, you can request a credit limit increase online or by phone; keep in mind, you may need to wait up to 10 days for a response. Victoria’s Secret’s Angel Card is backed by Comenity Bank. For more information on how to get a Victoria’s Secret Angel Card credit limit increase and how your credit limit is determined, see below.
How to Get a Victoria’s Secret Angel Card Credit Limit Increase
About six to nine months after opening an Angel Card account, Victoria’s Secret may increase your credit limit if your account is in good standing, said representatives for Comenity Bank, the issuing bank behind Victoria’s Secret credit cards. In general, the credit limit increase will be about $300 — but it could be more or less.
You can also request a credit limit increase online or by phone. To request an Angel Card credit limit increase online, log in to your account and click “apply for a credit increase.” You may be asked for your current income or other additional information. Keep in mind, each time you request a credit limit increase, Comenity may check your credit and you may have to wait up to 10 days for a response. To request an Angel Card credit limit increase by phone, call Comenity Bank’s customer service department at (800) 695-9478.
How Your Credit Limit Is Determined
Several factors determine your initial Angel Card credit limit, as well as your potential for credit limit increases. The main considerations are your current income, length of employment, and credit score. Credit limit increases are more likely to be approved if you have a higher income than when you applied and a strong credit score. You can improve your credit score by making on-time payments and keeping your credit utilization low. The following is a general list of criteria that may be used to determine approval or denial of any credit limit increase request:
- Account activity: Credit issuers like to see you consistently using your card and paying the balance due on time.
- Account age: Credit issuers also like to see a positive payment pattern that has developed over time.
- Account balance: Your outstanding balance(s) should take up no more than about 30% of your available credit.
- Debt-to-income ratio (DTI): Your recurring monthly debt (including rent, loans, credit cards, car payments, etc.) divided by your gross monthly income (before taxes) is your debt-to-income ratio. This will be used when considering your ability to handle a higher monthly payment.
- Length of credit history: Credit issuers will consider how long your accounts have been open and how much they are being used.
- Number of credit accounts: The number of credit accounts in your name, plus their limits, are taken into consideration.
- Payment activity: Credit issuers like to see consistent payments and, if necessary, more than one payment per month.
- Payment amount: Credit issuers like to see you paying more than the minimum balance or paying the account in full each month.
- Payment history: Paying ahead of your due date on your accounts assures a positive payment history; late payments and high balances are red flags for lenders.
Angel Card Benefit Levels
The Victoria’s Secret Angel Card has three levels of cardholder benefits. While the rewards program is provided by Victoria’s Secret (not Comenity Bank), your account must be in good standing in order to receive a level increase and earn the following discounts and perks:
- Angel: Earn $10 for every $250 spent; you’ll also get free shipping on purchases over $50, monthly perks, and a $10 birthday coupon.
- Angel VIP: All of the Angel benefits, plus a $10 coupon on your half-birthday and 15% off one purchase during the month of your Angel Card anniversary. Annual purchases must total at least $250.
- Angel Forever: Earn $15 for every $250 spent; you’ll also get free shipping on purchases over $50, monthly perks, a $15 birthday coupon, a $15 half-birthday coupon, and 20% off one purchase during the month of your Angel Card anniversary. Annual purchases must total at least $500.