You can buy dry ice from many grocery stores, including Albertsons, Costco, H-E-B, and Safeway; however, not all grocery stores keep dry ice in stock, so you can also order it through online services like Dry Ice Delivered or Dry Ice Corp.
Note that shipping costs can be costly for online dry ice orders, and shipping may also be limited based on where you live.
For more details on where to buy dry ice, see below.
What We Recommend
The best place to buy dry ice will depend on where you live and how much you need.
If you only need a small amount of dry ice to toss in a cooler or use for a school science project, your best option is the grocery store, where you can likely find dry ice for less than $3 a pound (most bags are a pound each).
If your local store doesn’t have any dry ice in stock or you need a larger quantity for something like special effects or commercial refrigeration, your best option is to order it online through a dry ice distributor.
You can expect minimum order requirements of around 10 to 25 pounds at the cost of about $1 to $2 per pound.
Shipping costs can vary widely depending on how far you live from the distributor and how quickly you need the dry ice. Ground shipping from FedEx and UPS estimate costs anywhere between $25 and $40, though it may be much more expensive for expedited or long-distance services.
Grocery stores typically sell dry ice in one-pound bags with costs ranging between $1 and $3 per pound.
Note that prices and availability may vary based on the season. Not every grocery store keeps dry ice in stock, even within the same chain — so it’s best to call your local store before visiting and ask if dry ice is available.
We contacted the following stores and found that they stock dry ice:
- Acme Markets
- Costco (Some locations; see our dedicated article about Costco’s dry ice service)
- Fred Meyer
- Giant Food
- King Soopers
- Publix (See our dedicated article about getting dry ice at Publix.)
- Smart & Final
- Smart Foodservice
- Tom Thumb
- Weis Markets
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
Dry Ice Delivery Services
The following companies sell dry ice for home delivery online:
Dry Ice Delivered
- Products available: Dry ice blocks and pellets
- Minimum order amount: 10 pounds
- Cost: Starts at $10 ($1 per pound for a minimum of 10 pounds). Pricing decreases slightly as you order bulk quantities of ice.
- Shipping: Ships out of Baton Rouge, LA; pricing varies depending on your location and shipping speed. For instance, a 10-pound package of dry ice shipped to Upstate New York within seven business days has an estimated shipping rate of around $40 through FedEx Ground. For overnight shipping, the rate is around $115. Customers who live closer to Louisiana may have less expensive shipping costs.
Dry Ice Corp
- Products available: Dry ice pellets are the only type of ice available online. Other forms of dry ice may be available when bought from a retail partner.
- Minimum order amount: Ice pellets are available in 25- or 45-pound quantities.
- Cost: About $50 for 25 pounds of dry ice pellets and $70 for 45 pounds
- Shipping: Shipping is only available for locations within 300 miles of one of Dry Ice Corp’s branches in the eastern U.S. The company ships via UPS Ground, so prices will vary depending on your location. Shipping a 25-pound package of dry ice pellets to Upstate New York costs around $25 via UPS Ground; a 45-pound package costs around $30. Orders typically arrive within 24 hours.
- Acme Markets customer service (877) 723-3929[↩]
- Albertsons customer service (877) 505-4040[↩]
- Dillons customer service (800) 576-4377[↩]
- Fred Meyer customer service (800) 576-4377[↩]
- Giant Food customer service (888) 814-4268[↩]
- H-E-B customer service (800) 432-3113[↩]
- Hy-Vee customer service (800) 772-4098[↩]
- Ingles customer service (828) 669-2941[↩]
- King Soopers customer service (800) 576-4377[↩]
- Kroger customer service (800) 576-4377[↩]
- Ralphs customer service (800) 576-4377[↩]
- Safeway customer service (877) 723-3929[↩]
- Smart & Final customer service (800) 894-0511[↩]
- Smart Foodservice customer service (800) 662-4242[↩]
- Tom Thumb customer service (877) 505-4040[↩]
- Weis Markets customer service (866) 999-9347[↩]
- Whole Foods customer service (844) 936-8255[↩]
- WinCo Foods store customer service representatives[↩]
is there a company that delivers Dry Ice?
Yes! There are many local companies that deliver dry ice; a quick Google search for “dry ice delivery” followed by your city and state should yield some results, depending on your location. If you’re looking to have dry ice shipped to you anywhere, I recommend checking out Dry Ice Delivered, which will ship to any location in the United States. I hope this helps!