Glucose syrup is not widely available in the United States, but it can be purchased both online and in select grocery and craft stores. Try your local Michaels or Walmart, and, if it is not in stock there, Amazon offers several varieties. For more information on where to buy glucose syrup, see below.
Where to Buy Glucose Syrup
Glucose syrup, also known as liquid glucose, can be purchased at some Kroger and Walmart stores, customer service representatives from both stores said. We also contacted JOANN and Michaels locations in many states, and store associates confirmed that both retailers routinely stock glucose syrup in the cake decorating aisle.
The availability of glucose syrup in the U.S. varies, so it’s a good idea to contact your local store for the most current information. There are several online alternatives if glucose syrup is not sold in-store in your area.
The following retailers sell glucose syrup in-store or online:
- Amazon (paid partner link): Amazon offers the best selection of brands at a wide range of prices, with many items qualifying for free shipping. Choose from small tubes (paid partner link) to large buckets (paid partner link) of glucose syrup.
- Gourmet Food World: Customers can order 11-pound pails of glucose syrup from Gourmet Food World. It ships within the United States.
- JOANN Fabric & Craft Stores: JOANN sells glucose syrup in the cake decorating aisle. Several of the stores we called were out of stock, so be sure to check with your nearest location for current availability. JOANN does not sell glucose syrup on its website.
- Kroger: Most Kroger locations sell glucose syrup in the cereal aisle along with corn syrup and maple syrup. Some of the stores we called told us they do not sell it, so you should contact your local store for clarification. Kroger does not carry glucose syrup on its website.
- Michaels: Customer service representatives in several states confirmed that Michaels does sell glucose syrup. Availability may vary, so contact your nearest location to verify that it is in-stock. Michaels does not sell glucose syrup on its website.
- Walmart: Some Walmart locations told us they had glucose syrup in stock and some said they did not. If it is available, it will be in the baking aisle. Glucose syrup is available on the Walmart website in an 11-pound bucket. Bonus: Save $10 on your first Walmart grocery pickup of $50 or more by using our referral link. Note that a lucky member of the FQF staff will also receive $10 off their grocery pickup if you sign up with our link. Prices for pickup are the exact same as in-store.
- Wilton: Its website sells glucose syrup. It was out of stock as of press time, but customers can sign up for email notification when it becomes available.
If you happen to reside in the UK, liquid glucose is more readily available at the major grocery chains there:
In the course of our research, we also identified several retailers that do not carry glucose syrup in-store or online:
- Trader Joe’s
- Whole Foods
- World Market
Liquid glucose is essentially powdered glucose mixed with water to create a syrup. It is an ingredient in specialty cakes, candy, and icing. Glucose syrup contains starches from potatoes, wheat, rice, and barley in addition to corn — so corn syrup cannot usually be used as a direct substitute. However, corn syrup can be used in other dessert and candy recipes; see our article to learn where it’s stocked in grocery stores.
Glucose syrup is available for purchase in some stores, such as JOANN and Kroger; however, availability varies widely by location. Contact your local store to confirm whether it offers glucose syrup. Order online at Amazon for the best selection if liquid glucose is not in-stock at stores near you.
Want to try making homemade snow cones? Our article details where to purchase snow cone syrup.