So you’ve cleaned out your attic and found a box of old magazines and newspapers. Before heading off to the recycle bin, consider that you might be able to sell some of those old magazines or newspapers for cash. There are stores that buy and sell old magazines as well as private collectors who are sometimes willing to pay for rare magazines or news articles depicting certain events or celebrities. In this article, you’ll learn where to sell old magazines and newspapers and more…
Are Old Magazines and Newspapers Valuable?
The question of whether your old magazines or newspapers are valuable depends on a variety of factors. The amount of cash you can expect to receive for an old magazine or newspaper varies greatly. You’ll be lucky to sell some magazines for a few dollars each, while others might be worth hundreds each. It’s true that some old magazines and newspapers can have high monetary value, but popular magazine collections like National Geographic and Sports Illustrated can be difficult to find a purchaser because these are fairly easy to come by. Some places do prefer to buy collections rather than individual magazines, so if you’ve got a set of a common title, don’t toss them until you’ve at least inquired about a sale.
Magazines and newspapers are more likely to be sellable if they are rare. For example, if there was a special edition of a magazine in which only a limited number of copies were printed, then that would add value. Value is also added if the magazine or newspaper features a major news story or historic event such as 9/11, the John F. Kennedy assassination, the moon landing, or Nixon’s resignation. Value may also be added if the magazine or newspaper features a well-known celebrity, particularly if they are no longer living. While there is no guarantee that featuring a pop culture icon like Marilyn Monroe or Elvis Presley will increase the price or likelihood of a sale, it does increase the chances of a magazine catching a collector’s attention.
An important factor in how much value your old magazines or newspapers may have is their condition; the better the condition, the higher the potential selling price. So if your magazines and newspapers have missing pages, rips or tears, or markings on the pages, then the likelihood that you can get cash for them decreases.
You have the option of selling them as individual magazines or as lots, a group of magazines. They can be grouped as different issues of the same magazine or as different magazines but with the same theme. For example, you could sell a lot of ten vintage 1960’s Life magazines. Or if you had several different magazines featuring Elvis, the Beatles, and the Monkees, then you could sell one lot of vintage rock-n-roll magazines. Lots are a good idea if you have one or two magazines that are more likely to sell, for example featuring a well-known celebrity, and then other magazines featuring lesser-known celebrities that are less likely to sell on their own. You won’t necessarily make more money selling lots, but it is a way to sell some magazines that aren’t desired much individually.
Where to Sell Old Magazines and Newspapers
If you find yourself with a stack or box of old magazines that you’d like to sell, it’s a good idea to head over to your local used bookstore. Oftentimes, used bookstores buy and sell vintage magazines, comic books, and sometimes newspapers as well as books. Don’t panic if you don’t have a used bookstore nearby; there are other places that buy old magazines and sometimes newspapers. Below, we’ve compiled the list of places places that buy old magazines and newspapers. Some of these places are even good for if you want to sell for cash only. Keep in mind, though, that there is no guarantee that these places will buy your old magazines or newspapers.
1. Back to the Past Pop Culture Collectibles
- Types of periodicals bought: Vintage magazines including vintage men’s magazines and vintage newspapers. Learn more about Back to the Past Pop Culture Collectibles.
- How they pay: Cash or store credit
- Location: Back to the Past is located in Michigan in the metro-Detroit area. You may visit in person or contact the store online about selling old magazines and newspapers. They will contact you regarding appraising your collection. For large collections, the store does have a professional buyer who travels throughout the U.S.
- Types of periodicals bought: Vintage magazines and newspapers
- How they pay: The seller (yourself) will specify the payment methods you are willing to accept. Most eBay transactions are processed via PayPal.
- Location: Visit eBay’s website to learn more about the basics of selling on eBay as well as about specifically selling old magazines on eBay.
3. Mr. Magazine/ Leone’s Collectibles
- Types of periodicals bought: A variety of vintage magazines
- How they pay: Cash
- Location: Mr. Magazine is the online storefront for Leone’s Collectibles, which is in of Rochester, NY. You may visit Mr.-Magazine online or contact Leone’s physical store directly about selling your old magazines.
4. Neat Stuff Collectibles, LLC.
- Types of periodicals bought: Magazines and pulps (vintage magazines printed on pulp paper)
- How they pay: Cash
- Location: Visit Neat Stuff Collectibles online and fill out the online form to have someone contact you about the magazines you would like to sell.
5. Sell Me Your Collectibles
- Types of periodicals bought: Magazines in good condition, specifically Playboys before 1966 and collections of Time and Life.
- How they pay: Cash
- Location: Sell Me Your Collectibles is based out of Indianapolis, Indiana. For a full list of magazines it buys and sells, you may visit the website. To speak with someone about selling your old magazines, complete the online form and a buyer will contact you about your collection.
- Types of periodicals bought: A variety but preferably older, uncommon non-fiction magazines from before 1970. Magazines must be complete, meaning no missing pages or clippings.
- How they pay: Paypal or check once your box of magazines has arrived safely at their location.
- Location: Learn more about selling your magazines by visiting the VintageMagazines website.
Now you know where to sell old magazines and newspapers. Not all old magazines or newspapers are valuable; the value is usually based on whether or not they are in good condition with no tears, rips, missing covers, or markings. The most desired old magazines or newspapers are usually rare limited editions or ones depicting famous or historic events. You can try to sell your magazines individually or as a lot, or group, of magazines with a similar theme.
Suggested Article: What to Do with Old Textbooks: Where to Donate Textbooks, Sell, Recycle