It’s a misconception that you need to be 21 years of age or older to book a hotel room. In fact, hotels that rent to 18 year olds are plentiful. While there are certain hotels that impose a minimum age of 21 for their guests to reserve and check into a room, this is far from a universal policy. If you’re under 21, don’t cancel your travel plans yet: Yes, there are many hotels that allow 18 year olds to check in. We’ve provided all the details you need to know about booking and checking into a hotel as an 18 year old.
Included in This Article:
A list of hotels that allow 18 year olds to check in (ones that don’t are included as well so you’re not left wondering)
How to book a hotel room even if you’re under 18 (extra steps required)
Some hotels that allow you to check in at 18 may be forced to deny your reservation if the locality forbids it. So we’ll tell you how to check if your destination locality allows for hotels that let you check in at 18 will actually let you check in at 18. This is very important to know!
Hotels That Allow 18 Year Olds to Check In
Methodology: We sought to find all the hotels that rent to 18 year olds in America. We scoured each hotel’s terms of service page to find the minimum age requirement for checking in. We linked to each hotels terms of service page as proof that they do allow 18 year olds to check in. If there is not a link back to the hotels website, that’s because the hotel has not put minimum age requirements in writing. That’s because these hotels leave the age requirement up to each individual location. We explain that further within each description where it applies. The result of the research is a list of hotels that allow 18 year olds to check in. Enjoy.
Marriott (Brands include Marriott Hotels, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, Renaissance, Fairfield Inn & Suites)
- Does Marriott allow 18-year-olds to check in? Yes, in general, but it may vary by hotel brand and location.
- The Marriott minimum check in age is stated on the Marriott website as 18 years of age
- However, because of the numerous brands Marriott owns across numerous locations, you will want to check with the location where you wish to stay and confirm the minimum age requirements.
- Does Fairmont Hotels allow 18-year-olds to check in? No. You must be 19.
- Fairmont’s FAQs state you will need to be 19 years of age to reserve a room at their chain.
- Find your Fairmont Hotel location and book a room.
- Does Best Western allow 18-year-olds to check in? Maybe
- Best Western hotels do not have a standardized age limit across all locations. However, some locations consider guests 18 and under as children who can stay for free. Read this information here.
- Find your Best Western where you wish to stay and call to determine the minimum check in age.
Choice Hotels (Brands include Comfort Inns, Econo Lodge, Comfort Suites, Sleep Inn, Quality, Clarion, MainStay Suites, Suburban, Rodeway Inn)
- Does Choice Hotels allow 18-year-olds to check in? No. You must be 19 or even 21 at certain locations.
- All Choice Hotels require you to be 19 years of age to book but certain locations can bump the minimum age to 21.
- Limitations: If there are two or more guests, one must be at least 21 years of age if the other is 18 or under.
- Find the Choice Hotel where you wish to stay and call to determine the minimum check in age.
Wyndham Worldwide (Brands include Wingate, Hawthorn, Microtel, Ramada, Baymont, Days Inn, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn)
- Does Wyndham Worldwide hotels allow 18-year-olds to check in? Maybe. It will depend upon location of the hotel.
- The Wyndham in Chicago North has a minimum check in age of 21.
- Find the Wyndham where you wish to stay and call to determine the minimum check in age.
Drury Inn and Suites
- Does Drury Inn and Suites allow 18-year-olds to check in? Yes
- As explained on the Drury Inn and Suites Terms of Service page.
- Find the Drury Inn and Suites where you wish to stay.
- Does Four Seasons allow 18-year-olds to check in? Maybe
- There is no universal policy on their website. However, the Four Seasons in St. Louis has a minimum check in policy of 21 years of age or older.
- Find the Four Seasons where you wish to stay and call to confirm minimum age requirements.
Hilton Hotels (Brands include Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Doubletree Inn, Embassy Suites)
- Does Hilton Hotels allow 18-year-olds to check in? Maybe
- An online chat with a Hilton Hotel representative revealed that minimum check in ages vary by location.
- Find the Hilton where you wish to stay and call to confirm minimum age requirements.
Intercontinental Hotels Group (Brands include Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Candlewood Suites, Staybridge Suites)
- Does Intercontinental Hotels Group allow 18-year-olds to check in? Yes
- Find the IHG hotel where you wish to stay and call to confirm minimum age requirements.
- Does Hyatt Hotels allow 18-year-olds to check in? Maybe
- Hyatt state that generally the minimum check in age is 21, However, this policy may vary by location.
- Find the Hyatt Hotel where you wish to stay and call to confirm minimum age requirements.
- Does InTown Suites allow 18-year-olds to check in? No. You must be 21.
- A check in age of 21 years of age exists.
- Find your InTown Suites location.
La Quinta Inn & Suites
- Does La Quinta allow 18-year-olds to check in? Maybe
- Though La Quinta’s website doesn’t specifically state the minimum age requirements for booking a room and check in, it does allow 18-year-old guests to apply for its rewards program. This would lead one to assume it does allow an 18-year-old to reserve a room.
- Find your La Quinta Inn & Suites where you wish to stay and call to confirm minimum age requirements.
Millennium Hotels and Resorts
- Does Millennium Hotels and Resorts allow 18-year-olds to check in? Yes
- Find your Millennium Hotel and make a reservation.
- Does Motel 6 allow 18-year-olds to check in? Yes
- All guests registering at Motel 6 only need to be 18 years of age, according to the Motel 6 FAQ.
- However for a few of their motels, including the Fort Lauderdale, San Marcos and the San Diego Chula Vista locations, a minimum age limit of 21 will apply (18 with a valid military ID).
- Get 5% off your stay by using this link along with the code CP550806
- Find your Motel 6 where you wish to stay and call to confirm minimum age requirements.
- Does Radisson allow 18-year-olds to check in? Yes, but most locations require you to be 21.
- In Radisson’s General Policies, it is stated that you will need to be 21 to reserve a room at most of its locations but this policy may vary by location.
- Find the Radisson location where you wish to stay and call to confirm minimum age requirements.
Red Roof Inn
- Does Red Roof Inn allow 18-year-olds to check in? Yes – usually.
- The vast majority of Red Roof Inns require you to be 18 however it may vary by location. The minimum age to apply for a Red Roof Inn rewards card is 18. So the assumption would be that most locations will allow 18-year-old guests to check in.
- Find the Red Roof Inn location where you wish to stay and call to confirm minimum age requirements.
Starwood Hotels (Brands include St. Regis, Westin, Four Points, Le Meridien, Sheraton, loft)
- Does Starwood Hotels allow 18-year-olds to check in? Yes – usually.
- Starwood Hotels have a handy page on their site for discovering age requirements – type in your destination and it will lead you the appropriate Guest Policies page.
- Some locations, like Le Meridien Atlanta, the Sheraton Columbus and the Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, require you to be 21 years of age to reserve a room.
- Others, like Le Meridien San Fransisco, Sheraton West Des Moines and the Sheraton Dallas have an age requirement of only 18.
- Find the Starwood Hotel location where you wish to stay and call to confirm the minimum age requirements.
- Does Airbnb allow 18-year-olds to check in? Yes
- The terms of service state anyone using the Airbnb site, application, or services must be 18 years or older.
- Airbnb hosts are allowed to set their own rules. Some may require you to be 21 or even 25.
- Get $35 off your first stay by simply using our affiliate link.
- Find the Airbnb location where you wish to stay and contact the host to confirm the minimum age requirements.
- Do Hostels allow 118-year-olds to check in? Yes
- Hostels are a cheap way for students to travel around a country. Popular in Europe, hostels can be found in the United States and because they cater to students, you can be 18 years of age to book a stay and sometimes even as young as 16.
- Find the hostel location where you wish to stay and contact the host to confirm the minimum age requirements.
Knowing Hotels That Let You Check in at 18 Is Handy – but What if You’re Younger Than 18?
It’s virtually impossible to check into a hotel yourself if you are under 18. The age of majority in most states is 18, and contracts signed my minors aren’t legally binding, leaving the hotel open to risk of non-payment and also liable for a child. But there are a few ways to check into a hotel even if you’re younger than 18.
Get written permission from an adult – most hotels will accept written authorization from a parent, guardian or adult if you are under 18. They’ll often have their own liability form to be filled in by the adult. Call or email to inquire first, as it’s not compulsory for hotels to provide one and instead they can just turn you away. Some hotels will let you access this online, such as Hilton.
Provide a credit card – providing a credit card (even your parents’) means the hotel is able to easily get their money for letting you stay. It also means the hotel can bill the card for any damages you do to the room.
Negotiate – if you’re close to age 18, it might be worth a little polite negotiation. Many hotels are worried about guests being disrespectful in their hotels. If you can demonstrate that you are responsible the hotel manager may let you stay.
Hotels That Let You Check in at 18 Are Available – but Your Locality May Forbid It
It can be state, county or even city law that determines the minimum check in age, rather than the hotel chain. This is why hotels don’t tend to exclusively commit to a minimum age. This means you should use this list to find hotels that let you check in at 18 – but then you must also call the exact location where you’re hoping to stay. This is to check if the locality will forbid you staying even though the hotel chain would let you stay otherwise.
Also be aware that when booking via sites like Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia.com or other hotel comparison sites, they might claim an adult is 18+. But some hotels actually have a minimum age requirement of 21 as you’ve read above). Effectively you’re getting two minimum ages. But what the hotel says goes. Don’t book on a travel site where they show hotels that rent to 18 year olds but in reality those specific hotels do not rent to 18 year olds.
Your Exact Action Plan for Finding Hotels That Rent to 18 Year Olds
First, find a hotel on this list that suits your needs/budget based on your age. If you’re younger than 18, use one of the other methods to book a room. Second, find the location at which you’d like to stay. Call that location and make sure the local laws don’t prevent 18 year olds from booking rooms.
That’s it. I hope you’ve enjoyed this list of hotels that allow 18 year olds to check in.