Short Answer: Dollar Rent A Car, Hertz, and Thrifty Car Rental offer AAA car rental discounts. The average discount is around 10% on the base rental rate, though Hertz offers discounts up to 20% on some rentals. Below, we have the details on where to get a AAA car rental discount, plus the list of car rental companies that don’t offer a AAA discount.
Where Can I Get a AAA Car Rental Discount?
AAA partners with multiple car rental companies to offer discounts to members. The amount of the discount varies by the rental company and other factors such as location, length of the rental, and the vehicle.
Discounts may range from 8% to 20%, with the highest discounts available at Hertz. The average AAA discount is usually around 10% on the base rental rate; taxes and fees are not included in the discount. You can apply the AAA discount when booking a reservation online or by phone.
To conduct our research, we read the online policies and contacted customer service representatives for the car rental companies listed below.
Dollar Rent A Car
- Discount: 10% on the base rate
- Restrictions: Cannot combine with other discounts or offers
- How to use the discount: Enter your AAA discount code when booking online. You can look up your AAA discount code on the Dollar website. Alternately, you can provide your member information when booking over the phone.
- Book a rental car with Dollar
- Discount: Varies by location, date, and vehicle type but is usually around 15% to 20% on the base rate. See the Hertz AAA Member Deals page for more information. AAA members can save more at Hertz by combining the discount with the Hertz loyalty program and coupons available on AAA’s booking page.
- Restrictions: There are no restrictions on when the AAA member discount may be used or the type of vehicle that may be rented.
- How to use the discount: Provide the discount code from your AAA membership card when booking online or over the phone with a Hertz representative.
- Book a rental car with Hertz
Note: If you rent a car through Hertz with a debit card, Hertz will do a credit check. See our article to learn more about this policy.
Thrifty Car Rental
- Discount: 8% on the base rate; see the Thrifty Car Rental AAA discount page for more information
- Restrictions: Thrifty requires advance reservation of at least 24 hours when using the AAA discount. The AAA discount is on the rental’s base rate only and not combinable with other discounts.
- How to use the discount: Enter your AAA discount code when booking online. You can look up your AAA discount code on the Thrifty website. Alternately, provide your AAA membership information to a Thrifty customer service representative when booking over the phone.
- Book a rental car with Thrifty Car Rental
Car Rental Companies That Don’t Offer a AAA Discount
During our research, some of the customer service representatives we spoke with said that their companies do not partner with AAA. We’ve included the list below.
- ACE Rent a Car
- Advantage Rent a Car (Our article has the details on the Advantage Rent a Car military discount.)
- Alamo (See our article for Alamo’s car rental deposit policy.)
- Budget Rent a Car
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car (See our article for the Enterprise Rent-A-Car student discount policy.)
- EZ Rent-A-Car
- Fox Rent A Car
- National Car Rental
- Payless Car Rental
- SIXT Rent a Car
We also have the details comparing roadside assistance services between AAA and MCA.