Short Answer: The Emerald Card from H&R Block loads direct deposit funds around 4 a.m. CST on the date set by the payer. Tax refunds and other government payments are loaded as soon as H&R Block receives them from the IRS — any time of day. Cash reloads and money transfers are usually available right away and check-to-card funds may be available within minutes (for a fee) or within a few days (for free). See below for more on Emerald Card deposit times.
What Time Does Emerald Card Load Funds?
The Emerald Card is a prepaid debit card with a Mastercard logo from H&R Block. You can opt to have your tax refund loaded on to this card and you can continue using it throughout the year with direct deposits, cash reloads, check reloads, and/or transfers from a checking account. The government may also issue other payments, such as economic stimulus checks, to your Emerald Card if you received your last tax refund on the card.
The times that funds are available for use on the card vary by the type of deposit. To find out about Emerald Card deposit times, we spoke with multiple H&R Block Emerald Card customer service representatives reached by calling (866) 353-1266. Deposit times are as follows:
- Direct deposit: Direct deposits from an employer or government agency are available around 4 a.m. CST on the date set by the payer.
- Cash reloads: Cash or check card reloads are usually made available immediately but carry a fee that varies by reload location; fees can be up to $4.95 a reload.
- Check reloads: Checks can be loaded on to your Emerald Card through the MyBlock mobile app for Android or iOS. Checks can be approved and available within minutes for a minimum fee of $2 and a maximum fee of $80 per check. Alternately, if you can allow a few days for approval, there is no fee.
- Money transfer: Your first money transfer from a checking account to your Emerald Card can take up to five business days due to processing. Once the funds are confirmed, they are typically made available immediately. After your first money transfer, funds are typically made available immediately. (For more on transferring money from a checking account to a prepaid card, see our related article.)
- Tax refunds and other government payments: The amount of time it takes for a tax return to be accepted by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and for the refund to be processed varies greatly. Other government payments also vary depending on several factors; stimulus payments, for example, typically disperse over several weeks or months (rather than to all qualifying citizens at once). As soon as the government makes the funds available to H&R Block, it will load the money on to your Emerald Card. H&R Block can load funds at any time of day with no limits or restrictions.
Find answers to these questions in our related articles: