While 21 is the standard minimum age for booking a hotel and checking in, many national hotel chains, hostels, and Airbnb hosts will allow 18-year-olds to book rooms and check in.
Policies may vary for individual hotels, so it’s a good idea to check with your intended location to confirm before booking.
Below, we provide the details about booking and checking into a hotel as an 18-year-old, as well as what you can do if you’re under 18 and need to check into a hotel.
What We Recommend
For lodging options that you can find nationwide, Airbnb is likely your best option for making a reservation and checking in as an 18-year-old, as this is the minimum age outlined in the company’s policies.
While individual hosts can set different age requirements in the “House Rules” section of their listing, you also have the option of contacting the hosts directly to discuss your situation and make arrangements as needed.
The following hotels will allow 18-year-olds to reserve a room at some locations.
Hotel policies vary by location, so it may be a good idea to contact customer service at your intended location to confirm before booking.
Be aware that when you use booking via sites like Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia.com, or other hotel comparison sites, they might claim an “adult” is 18+ for all bookings. However, as mentioned above, some hotels actually have a minimum age requirement of 21. It’s always a good idea to check directly with the hotel.
We’ve ordered the list below starting with the best overall options.
- Age requirement: Anyone 18 and older can typically stay at an Airbnb. Hosts can always put a different age requirement under their “House Rules” section, but it’s very rare to see this.
- Book online
- Age requirement: Hostels are a cheap way for young people to travel around a country. Because they cater to students, you can be 18 years of age to book a stay (and sometimes even as young as 16, though you may need to provide proof of permission from a guardian).
- Book online
3. Motel 6
- Age requirement: 18-year-olds at most locations; however, some locations require a minimum age of 19 to 21 (or 18 with a valid military ID).
- Book online
4. Best Western
- Age requirement: Best Western hotels don’t have a standard age limit across all locations — you can call ahead to your intended location to be sure.
- Book online
5. Intercontinental Hotels Group
- Age requirement: IHG hotels do not have a standard age limit across all locations, even for the same brand. Brands include Candlewood Suites, Crowne Plaza, Even, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Hotel Indigo, Hualuxe, InterContinental, Kimpton Hotels and Resorts, and Staybridge Suites. Some locations will allow guests to check in at age 18, while others require guests to be at least 21.
- Book online
6. Wyndham Worldwide
- Age requirement: Wyndham Worldwide doesn’t have a standard age limit across all locations. Brands include Wingate, Hawthorn, Microtel, Ramada, Baymont, Days Inn, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, and Knights Inn. Some locations will allow guests to check in at age 18, while others require guests to be at least 21 — you can call ahead to be sure.
- Book online
7. Hilton Hotels
- Age requirement: Minimum check-in ages vary by location but may be as low as 18. Brands include Conrad, Curio A Collection, Canopy, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites, Home2 Suites, Tru, and Waldorf Astoria.
- Book online
8. Starwood Hotels
- Age requirement: Some locations will let 18-year-olds check in — you can call ahead to be sure. Brands include St. Regis, Westin, Four Points, Le Meridien, Sheraton, and Aloft.
- Book online
- Age requirement: Marriott doesn’t have a standard age limit across all locations. Some locations will allow guests to check in at age 18, while others require guests to be at least 21 — you can call ahead to be sure. Brands include Marriott Hotels, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, Renaissance, Fairfield Inn & Suites.
- Book online
10. Millennium Hotels & Resorts
- Age requirement: Millennium Hotels and Resorts don’t have a standard age limit across all locations. Some locations will allow guests to check in at age 18, while others require guests to be at least 21.
- Book online
11. Hyatt Hotels
- Age requirement: The minimum check-in age is generally 21. However, this policy may vary by location.
- Book online
- Age requirement: You need to be 21 to reserve a room at most locations, but this policy may vary by location. You can call ahead to be sure.
- Book online
13. La Quinta Inn & Suites
- Age requirement: Some locations will allow guests to check in at age 18, while others require guests to be at least 21 — you can call ahead to be sure.
- Book online
14. Red Roof Inn
- Age requirement: Red Roof Inn doesn’t have a standard age minimum across all locations. Some locations will allow guests to check in at age 18, while others require guests to be at least 21 — you can call ahead to be sure. The minimum age to apply for a Red Roof Inn rewards card is 18.
- Book online
15. Drury Inn & Suites
- Age requirement: Drury Inn and Suites hotels don’t have a standard age requirement across all locations. Some locations will allow guests to check in at age 18, while others require guests to be at least 21 — you can call ahead to be sure.
- Book online
16. Four Seasons
- Age requirement: There is no universal policy. Some locations will allow guests to check in at age 18, while others require guests to be at least 21 — you can call ahead to be sure.
- Book online
17. Las Vegas Hotels
- Age requirement: Although many Las Vegas hotels require guests to be at least 21, the following Las Vegas Hotels allow 18-year-olds to reserve a room:
- Bellagio Hotel and Casino
- Best Western McCarran Inn
- Carriage House Deluxe Suites
- Embassy Suites Convention Center Las Vegas 
- Hyatt Place Las Vegas
- Las Vegas Club Hotel and Casino 
- Las Vegas Marriott Suites 
- Platinum Hotel and Spa
- Plaza Hotel and Casino
- Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel
- Residence Inn Las Vegas Hughes Center
- Skylofts at MGM Grand
- Westgate Las Vegas
- Book online
Hotels That Don’t Allow 18-Year-Olds to Check In
- Age requirement:
- All Choice Hotels require you to be at least 19 years of age, but to book a room at certain locations, you’ll need to be at least 21 years old.
- Limitations: If there are two or more guests, one must be at least 21 years of age if the other is 18 or under.
- Brands include Comfort Inns, Econo Lodge, Comfort Suites, Sleep Inn, Quality, Clarion, MainStay Suites, Suburban, Rodeway Inn.
- Book online
- Age requirement: You need to be 19 years of age to reserve a room at the chain.
- Book online
- Age requirement: You must be at least 21 years of age or older to check in.
- Book online
What to Do If You’re Under 18
It’s virtually impossible to check into a hotel if you’re under 18. The age of majority in most states is at least 18, and contracts signed by minors aren’t legally binding, leaving the hotel open to the risk of non-payment and liability for the minor.
However, there are a few ways to get around this:
Get written permission from an adult. Most hotels will accept written authorization from a parent, guardian, or adult if you are under 18. They’ll often have their own liability form to be filled in by the adult. You should call or email to inquire first, as it’s not compulsory for hotels to provide this form.
Provide a credit card. Providing a credit card (even your parents’) means the hotel is able to easily get its payment for your reservation. It also means the hotel can bill the card for any damage you do to the room.
Negotiate. If you’re close to age 18, it might be worth a little polite negotiation. Many hotels are worried about guests being disrespectful in their hotels. If you can demonstrate that you’re responsible and there’s no companywide age policy, the hotel manager may let you stay.
Local Laws About Minimum Check-In Ages
State, county, and/or city laws have the final say in determining the minimum check-in age. This is why hotels tend not to exclusively commit to a minimum check-in age requirement.
You can call ahead to your intended hotel location — the associates should be able to inform you of the applicable local laws.
Plan on sleeping late? Our article explains when housekeeping typically comes.
If you’re looking to rent a car as well, we also list the companies that rent cars to 18-year-olds.
- Best Western customer service (800) 528-1238[↩]
- IHG customer service (877) 424-2449[↩]
- Wyndham Worldwide customer service (800) 466-1589[↩]
- Hilton Hotels online chat[↩]
- Starwood Hotels customer service (800) 328-6242[↩]
- Marriott customer service (800) 535-4028[↩]
- Millennium Hotels customer service (866) 866-8086[↩]
- La Quinta customer service (800) 642-4241[↩]
- Red Roof Inn customer service (800) 733-7663[↩]
- Drury Inn & Suites customer service (800) 378-7946[↩]
- Four Seasons customer service (800) 819-5053[↩]
- Bellagio customer service (888) 987-7111[↩]
- Best Western McCarran customer service (702) 798-5530[↩]
- Carriage House customer service (702) 798-1020[↩]
- Embassy Suites customer service (702) 893-8000[↩]
- Hyatt Place customer service (702) 369-3366[↩]
- Las Vegas Club Hotel customer service (702) 399-3297[↩]
- Las Vegas Marriott customer service (702) 650-2000[↩]
- Platinum Hotel customer service (702) 365-5000[↩]
- Plaza Hotel customer service (702) 386-2110[↩]
- Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel customer service (702) 784-5700[↩]
- Residence Inn Las Vegas customer service (702) 650-0040[↩]
- Skylofts MGM Grand customer service (877) 646-5638[↩]
- Westgate Las Vegas customer service (702) 732-5111[↩]
hello my boyfriend are looking to stay in the Orlando area to visit universal Orlando studios. I am looking to stay between October 27-30th. We are both 19 and college students. I was hoping if you could help out with which hotels will allow us to check in.
Unfortunately, due to the volume of comments we receive, we are not able to provide information for specific location inquiries. The good news is that Airbnb allows anyone 18 and older to book a place to stay, so you can always start your search there. All of the hotel chains we’ve listed in this article also have reported that at least some of their locations allow people 18 and older to check in. These policies vary by hotel, so you might have to call a few individual hotels to make sure they’ll let you make a booking. Hope this information helps!
Do you know a location in the state of Wisconsin that allows under 21 check ins?
Because of the volume of comments we receive, we can’t reply to specific requests. I’d recommend using the locator linked as the last bullet for each hotel to check whether there is a location in the city you’re staying in, and then calling the local hotel to confirm whether they let those under 21 check in. At most hotel chains, the rules do vary from location to location, so you’d have to call and confirm regardless.
I highly suggest using Airbnb, it’s a lot cheaper than a hotel and a lot less hassle in the end.
Thanks, that’s a great suggestion for Micheal. You’re right, Airbnb is generally super easy to use, and hosts are usually very accommodating thanks to the site’s feedback system.
hotels in mobile,Al that allow 18 year olds to check in?
While we can’t reply to specific requests, it looks like of our list above, Wyndham, Red Roof, Intercontinental Hotels Group, and La Quinta brand hotels all have a location in Mobile and all sometimes allow 18-year-olds to check in. You should try calling the local hotel for any of those brands to see if they will let an 18-year-old check in.
I am looking for a hotel (not motel) in Charlotte NC for myself and my friend, both of us are 18 years old. Any suggestions for a safe place that offers breakfast as well.
Hi, I’m 19 trying to go look for apartments in Jacksonville, Florida and get a hotel can anyone help me out I keep getting 21 or older.
Look to the article and note the hotels that may rent to those under 21. You may have to call ahead to make sure the specific hotel you want to rent a room at will rent to you, as each hotel may have its own age restrictions. Fortunately, you are in a large city that is home to many hotel chains.
I am looking for a hotel somewhere in southern Michigan that not to far from Lake Michigan but have had no luck frinding one that will allow 19 year olds to check in. I have called about a million places but have had no luck.
Unfortunately, due to the volume of comments we receive, we can’t answer individual questions. However, I might suggest one of the countless cottages/cabins/inns near Lake Michigan. Often times, there are fewer rental requirements for this type of lodging. Good luck!
I was looking into hotels that accept 18 year olds, in Springfield MA, and sadly only found two. One appearing unsafe for a young lady, and the other honestly out of budget being $132 minimum a night.
I checked Airbnb after reading this, life saving article. I found a couple in that area thankfully. I want to know though, do they usually accept guests during holiday season or charge extra then ? Also, when would be the latest to book ? And when I do book, must I pay in full at the time or just a deposit ?
I’m so glad you found some Airbnb options! How much an Airbnb owner charges and when they allow guests to stay varies from one rental to another; the same is true of what date you’ll need to book and whether you’ll pay in full or just a deposit up front. You’ll need to check with your potential Airbnb host(s) to find out what policies they have in place since they can vary so much. I hope this helps!
I called the drury inn and suites on the Mississippi/arkansas border line and they stated you had to be 21, not 18 as said in the article.
Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention! You’re absolutely right — while Drury Inn and Suites does have some locations that allow you to book a room at age 18, other locations require you to be at least 21. I’ve updated the article accordingly to reflect the correct information for each hotel group we’ve listed. I’m sorry for the inconvenience; we truly appreciate you taking the time to comment and let us know what you learned.
I need to find a hotel near the Keybank pavilion in Pennsylvania that will let me check in at 18 I’ve search for hours and hours and can’t find anything
Unfortunately, due to the volume of comments that we receive, we’re not able to help with specific, individual requests. However, if you’ve been looking for hours and the brand suggestions in this article haven’t yet helped you locate a hotel, we strongly recommend using Airbnb. Airbnb lets 18-year-olds check in unless otherwise stated in the ‘House Rules’ section of a listing, and it’s very rare that a host asks its guests to be of a certain age. Plus, Airbnb is generally a much cheaper alternative to a hotel. Get $40 off your first stay by using our link. I hope this helps!
Hello, I am wanting to book an hotel room in Folly Beach SC. I am trying to find an hotel that will let me book and check in at 18 yrs old. can you help?
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find a hotel in Folly Beach, SC that allows 18-year-olds to check in. You may need to expand your search to nearby Charleston, SC, which has many more lodging options. I would recommend that you take a look at the Google listings for hotels in Charleston to find a hotel that’s in your price range, and use the provided phone numbers to verify the minimum check-in age with the reservations desk. Best of luck!
Hi, can you help me find a hotel in Sioux Falls SD. I’m 20 years old and its so frustrating because of the minimum of 21. Which ever would be great, price doesnt matter as long as we find a place to stay.
I spoke with a Hilton Garden Inn customer service representative and learned that the minimum age to reserve a room at the Hilton Garden Inn Sioux Falls South is 18. If this isn’t the type of lodging you’re looking for, I would recommend that you try a quick Google search for “hotels in Sioux Falls SD” and use the provided phone numbers for the hotels that interest you to find a place that will allow guests to reserve a room at 18. I hope this helps!
I’m looking for a hotel in wisconsin dells that allows 18 yr old check ins, preferably one with a pool, hot tub and some sort of slide.
It looks like Mt. Olympus Resort will allow an 18-year-old to reserve a room. There are reports that Kalahari Resort will also allow 18-year-olds to reserve a room, but it’s a good idea to double check this with the front desk before you try to make a reservation as this is not confirmed on the Kalahari website. You can reach the Kalahari reservations line at 877.525.2427 or 608.254.5466, or you can submit a question through the Kalahari Contact Us page. If these hotels are not the type of lodging you’re looking for, I would recommend running a quick Google search for “hotels in Wisconsin Dells” and using the provided phone numbers to find a place that you like and that has a minimum check-in age of 18. I hope this helps!
Which hotels allow 19 years old with credit card to check in near Boston/Methuen 01844 ?
There are several hotels near the Boston/Methuen area in the 01844 zip code between $80 and $129. I would recommend that you visit the Google listings page for hotels near the 01844 zip code to find a hotel that’s in your price range and in the area where you’d like to stay. Then you can use the phone number that Google provides, contact the reservations desk, and verify minimum check-in age (the article can provide some helpful reference information for which chains to try and which you can safely skip). I hope this helps!
Are there any hotels near the university of Arizona in Tucson that allow 19 year olds to register and check in?
There are many hotels near the University of Arizona in Tucson between $32 and $299 and beyond. I would recommend that you visit the Google listings page for hotels near the University of Arizona in Tucson to find a hotel that’s in your price range and in the area where you’d like to stay. Then you can use the phone number that Google provides to contact the reservations desk and verify minimum check-in age (the article can provide some helpful reference information for which chains to try and which you can safely skip). I hope this helps!
Could you help me find a hotel in Omaha, Nebraska that will let a 19 year old check in?
There are quite a number of hotels in Omaha with prices per night ranging from roughly $45 up to $170 and beyond. I would recommend that you visit the Google listings page for hotels in Omaha to find a hotel that’s in your price range and in the area where you’d like to stay. Then you can use the phone number that Google provides to contact the reservations desk and verify minimum check-in age (the article can provide some helpful reference information for which chains to try and which you can safely skip). I hope this helps!
I was just wondering if you know of any hotels around the Disneyland area allow 20 year olds to book through them? I also have a credit card of my own I can use, I would just like to check before I book.
Thanks so much!
There are a large number of hotels in the Disneyland area, with a wide variety of amenities and price points. For your situation, I would recommend visiting the Google listing for hotels near Disneyland and using the provided phone numbers to make a quick call to the reservations desk to confirm the minimum reservation/check-in age. Since you do have a credit card, you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding somewhere that you like and that will allow you to check in as a 20-year-old. Enjoy your trip!
Looking for hotel in downtown Pittsburgh with checkin 18 that is a nicer safe hotel?
I made a few phone calls and found that the Kimpton Hotel Monaco Pittsburgh has a minimum check-in age of 18. This is a 4-star hotel with a 4.5 star rating from 217 Google reviews.
Hi, do you know of any hotels that have a minimum check in age of 18 near downtown Chicago or the University of Chicago?
I called a few hotels near the University of Chicago, and most had a minimum check-in age of 21, but the Welcome Inn Manor on Michigan Avenue did allow guests as young as 18 to check in as long as they have a credit card. This is a 3-star hotel with a 4.5 star rating on Google, and it’s only 2.5 miles from the University of Chicago.
Hi, do you know of any hotels in Louisville KY, relatively close to the KFC Yum Center that will let me book/check in at the age of 18 if my friend is only the age of 16 but staying with me?
Because the KFC Yum Center is such a major hub for travelers and tourists, there are a very large number of hotels in that area with widely varying price ranges. I would recommend taking a look at the Google listings for hotels near the KFC Yum Center; then find one or a few hotels that are in your price point, and make a quick call using the phone number provided by Google to see if the reservation desk would accept a reservation for an 18-year-old and a 16-year-old. Policies do vary by location so it’s best to call and check before you try to book online, particularly since you’ll have a minor staying with you (which may limit your options). Best of luck, and enjoy your trip!
Are you aware of any hotels near Virginia Beach, preferably water front, that you can rent at 18, or 19 years of age?
Unfortunately, I didn’t have any luck tracking down any major hotel chains that have a waterfront hotel in Virginia Beach that will allow 18- or 19-year-olds to rent a room. I would recommend looking outside the major brands for a smaller, local, or non-chain hotel to find a hotel room where you’ll be able to check in. (You can even consider AirBNB, if that interests you.) Best of luck!
HI, I am looking to book a hotel room close by to camelback ski resort. I am having a hard time finding a 3 star hotel that allows a 19 year old to check in. Please let me know if there are any hotels that will allow me to check in without an adult.
Thank You in advance!
It looks like the Inn at Pocono Manor could be a good choice for you. This hotel offers a Ski & Stay package that includes lift tickets, and it’s located 17 minutes from Camelback Ski Resort. The Inn at Pocono Manor is a 3-star hotel, and I called in to the reservations desk to verify that the minimum age for reservation and check-in is 18. I hope this helps!
Do you know what age do I have to be to book a room in Ramada
I reached out to a Ramada customer service representative about your question, and it appears that the age restrictions on reserving and checking in to a room vary by location. If you know in which city you’ll be staying, you can contact the location you’re interested in directly to ask if you’ll be able to book a room there. You can find contact information for any Ramada through the Locations page on the Wyndham/Ramada website. I hope this helps!
If the person that is renting the hotel is 18, can the guest who is younger than 18 still stay as well? I’m only asking this because I am told that some hotels require you to be 21 and older for a minor to be in the hotel with you. Please let me know ASAP, thank you!
The answer will depend largely on the specific hotel where you’re staying. Just as the age requirements for reserving a room and checking in can vary, many hotels will also have particular rules about who else can stay in the room with you. In most cases, as long as there’s someone of age to reserve the room, and a credit card on file for any potential damages, my guess is that you’d be pretty safe having a minor with you (especially if they’re a family member). But the only way to be sure would be to ask the hotel directly.
Im trying to find the cheapest accommodation for my 19 year old daughter in orlando for 4 days this month that is quite near to DisneyWorld or something that offers a shuttle service.
Hi, do you know of any hotels in Orlando near the Central Florida Fairgrounds that will rent to someone who’s 19? I called a bunch of hotels and they all said 21. I know the Disney hotels allow 18+ but they’re too expensive and I’m not planning on going to Disney.
Use the hotels on this list when performing a Google search. For instance, ‘Marriott + Orlando’ and give each hotel a call until you find the best choice for you. I’m sorry I do not have an easier way!
The Albuquerque Sleep Inn in New Mexico requires the person to be 18 because those under 18 are not legally permitted to enter into a contract.
Do you know any extended stay hotels that rent to people under 21?
Here are the most popular extended stay hotels and the respective check-in ages:
https://www.bestwestern.com/reservations/hotel-types/best-western-plus-executive-residency-hotels.asp – Typically 18 but varies from location to location
https://house.hyatt.com/en/hyatthouse/extendedstay.html – Typically 21 but is lower at some locations
https://www.choicehotels.com/suburban – 19 but some require you to be 21
http://www.ihg.com/candlewood/hotels/us/en/reservation – 18
http://home2suites3.hilton.com/en/index.html – 18
http://towneplacesuites.marriott.com/ – 18
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/element/index.html?language=en_US – 21
http://www.hawthorn.com/tour/main – 18 but some locations require you to be 21
For more information about staying at extended stay hotels, you can check out this post: https://firstquarterfinance.com/living-in-a-hotel-everything-to-know-including-costs/
Can you find me a hotel where you don’t have to be 21 in Pickerington, Ohio? Please I can’t find anything. For the dates May 27-29
It is frustrating that each individual hotel has the right to go with a higher age requirement than the chain as a whole. I wish I could help more but if we were to do personal requests, we’d have to hire a full-time staffer to take care of all of them. Unfortunately it’s not feasible. 🙁 Though I did call around for you. The town must be pretty conservative because everyone told me 21. Personally, I’d either go the Airbnb route or if you get to talk with a chill hotel front desk clerk, ask them which hotel in town will rent to someone under 21. If they like you, they will likely tell you. Even if it isn’t giving their hotel any business.
My son in law was booking their 1st vacation to Panama City on ExePedia and did not know the hotel was for 25 and older, they are 21. They billed his card and he called within 15 minutes and they would not refund his money. Is this legal? What can they do. This wa all the money they had set aside.
Fortunately, there are many ways to correct the issue. They will be fine. Click on this page: https://techboomers.com/t/expedia-cancellation-policy and scroll down to ‘Hotel Cancellations’. Try each method until this gets resolved. Let me know if there’s anything else I can do.
This is good to know. I have college students that travel with friends and they would drive through the night, not realizing that they could stop and book a hotel.
Really great list here. In Europe we’re considered adults at 18 (yes, we can drink alcohol as well), so checking in at 18 shouldn’t be an issue. It’s true you cannot get a drivers license at 16 though 😀
In Europe, a large number hotels let you check in at age 16, as laws are different and in some countries the drinking age is 16. Austria’s voting age is 16.