Short Answer: Plato’s Closet pays anywhere from about $5 to $60 or more for like-new shoes. Prices vary based on the brand, style, condition, and demand. Average price ranges for a few popular shoe brands are as follows: $13 to $60 for Jordans, $5 to $20 for UGGs, and $8 to $20 for Hunter boots. Find more details and pricing information below.
How Much Does Plato’s Closet Pay for Shoes?
Plato’s Closet buys gently used brand-name clothing and accessories, including shoes that are new with the tags attached or clean and in like-new condition. Plato’s Closet buys men’s and women’s shoes of all sizes, including sneakers, boots, flats, and heels. Keep in mind that the resale shop does not accept all items, even if they are in excellent condition. Buyers are looking for particular in-demand brands and styles when they make their selections.
We contacted Plato’s Closet locations in several states, including New York, Texas, and Wisconsin, to find out how much Plato’s Closet pays for Jordans, UGGs, and other popular shoe brands. None of the store associates we spoke with were willing to give price estimates over the phone, but they did share some information about how Plato’s Closet sets its prices:
- Prices vary by brand, style, condition, and location — as Plato’s Closet is a franchise.
- Plato’s Closet sells items for 50% to 70% off retail values and buys items for about 30% of the selling price. That means you can expect to earn between 15% and 25% of the original retail price when you sell your items to Plato’s Closet.
Price Estimates for Popular Shoe Brands
Based on the pricing information provided by Plato’s Closet employees and the sale prices at eight different Plato’s Closet locations nationwide, we compiled the following list of prices you can expect for popular shoe brands.
- Adidas: $5.50 to $30; NMD styles fetch the highest prices, based on our research
- Air Jordan: $13 to $60 — or more for particular styles and colors (like the 6 Retro “Gatorade”)
- Birkenstocks: About $5
- Champion: About $6
- Converse: $4.50 to $9 — or more for special collections like DC Comics
- Dr. Martens: $8 to $20
- Hunter: $8 to $20
- Jack Rodgers: $6.50 to $20 for sandals and flats; $12 for boots
- Nike: $6 to $30 for most styles; $40 to $70 for Foamposites
- Puma: $4.50 to $20
- Sperry: $10 to $15
- Timberland: $5 to $20
- UGG: $5 to $8.50 for moccasins; $14 for most boots; $18 for riding boots
- Vans: $5 to $15
How to Sell Shoes to Plato’s Closet
To sell shoes at Plato’s Closet, bring the shoes and a photo ID to your nearest store location any time during selling hours; no appointment is required. A buyer will review each item and make a cash offer for the items the store wants to buy. Stores buy seasonal items just before or at the start of the appropriate season. For example, bring in sandals in the late spring or early summer and boots in the fall or winter.