LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and Visionworks are franchises that provide quick, affordable eye care. Each location offers vision exams and a wide range of eyewear products, including frames, prescription lenses, contact lenses, and sunglasses.
Although individual prices for products and services will vary depending on your location and your needs as a patient, all three of these chains accept major vision insurance plans and frequently offer promotions to help make eye care more affordable. A full breakdown of products, services, and payment information is below.
LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and Visionworks: Services and Policies
LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and Visionworks offer eye exam services. Even if you have perfect vision, eye exams are a part of routine health care and are covered under many vision insurance policies. Routine checkups can help alert you to eye health issues like glaucoma and cataracts before they become a problem.
- Services: Every LensCrafters location staffs a doctor of optometry who will utilize the latest technology to check your eye health and assess your eyesight. Along with eye exams for both adults and children, LensCrafters can custom-craft your eyeglasses once the doctor writes you a prescription.
- Return policy: The company has a 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee, which allows for the return of eyewear in its original condition, whether purchased in-store or online.
- You can schedule an appointment at your local LensCrafters branch online.
- Services: Pearle Vision works with Independent Doctors of Optometric Care, a nationwide network of qualified eye-care professionals, to perform eye exams on adults and children. Pearle Vision utilizes the state-of-the-art OptoMap system to take retinal scans without necessitating dilation. Your Pearle Vision eye care professional will assess your eyesight and write you a prescription, if necessary. You can have glasses made in the store and get fitted for contact lenses.
- Return policy: The company has a 30-Day Complete Satisfaction Guarantee. Pearle Vision will repair or exchange your purchase for up to 30 days for free; this does not cover accidental damage, scratches, or breakage.
- You can schedule an appointment at your local Pearle Vision branch online.
- Services: Visionworks also works with Independent Doctors of Optometric Care and utilizes the OptoMap system to achieve high-quality retinal scans without dilation. Many Visionworks locations have in-store labs, which means certain prescription products can be ready to take home within an hour. In addition, every Visionworks eyewear purchase comes with free lifetime cleaning and adjustments, including nose pad and screw replacements.
- Return policy: The company has a 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee. Visionworks’ website says: “Although refunds are available, we would prefer the opportunity to make things right for any unsatisfied customer.”
- You can schedule an appointment at your local Visionworks branch online.
LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and Visionworks: Eyeglass Lenses
LensCrafters creates custom lenses from CR-39 plastic, polycarbonate, and high-index 1 plastic. Here are a few of the most common types of lenses it offers:
- Bifocal lenses
- Progressive or no-line bifocal lenses
- Single-vision lenses
- Trifocal lenses
LensCrafters also offers a range of lens features and enhancements, such as scratch-resistant coatings, digital eyestrain reduction technology, and more. Click here to learn more about LensCrafters’ full line of products.
Pearle Vision has a variety of proprietary Pearlethin lenses with optional features such as an anti-reflective coating, eyestrain reduction, and more. It also offers:
- High-definition lenses
- Plastic lenses
- Polarized lenses
- Polycarbonate lenses
- Transitions lenses
Visionworks creates hand-crafted lenses from a variety of high-quality materials, including polycarbonate, CR-39 plastic, and trivex. Here are a few of the most common types of lenses it offers:
- Multifocal lenses
- No-line bifocal lenses
- Plano lenses
- Single-vision lenses
You can choose lens enhancements like scratch-resistant coating, mirror coating, and ultraviolet treatment. Go here for full details on Visionworks’ lens offerings.
LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and Visionworks: Eyeglass Frames
LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and Visionworks all carry frames from a number of stylish brands. Here’s how the stores compare:
You can browse LensCrafters’ frames online, and filter by gender, face shape, style, color, and price. Eyewear brands available from Pearle Vision are listed online as well. And you can search Visionworks’ frames online, and filter by gender, brand, style, face shape, and more.
LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and Visionworks: Contact Lenses
From daily disposables to reusable models designed to be worn for up to two weeks, LensCrafters carries contact lenses for a variety of eye health needs. Here are some of the contact lens brands offered by LensCrafters:
- AIR OPTIX
Pearle Vision offers a range of contact lenses that vary by location. See your nearest Pearle Vision for full details.
Visionworks has a selection of daily, two-week, monthly, and color contact lenses. Here are some of the contact lens brands offered by Visionworks:
- AIR OPTIX
LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and Visionworks: Insurance and Discounts
Although the cost of an eye exam, a pair of glasses, or a contact fitting will depend on your eye health and location, LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and Visionworks all provide affordable self-pay options and accept most major vision insurance plans. Each store also offers occasional promotions to help you save money on lenses, frames, and exams.
Here’s a side-by-side comparison of accepted insurance plans:
LensCrafters offers a variety of discounts and savings options to help make your eye care and eyewear more affordable. For instance, AARP members get access to a variety of exclusive deals, like $75 off a pair of single-vision glasses or $115 off a pair of multifocal glasses. AAA members are eligible for similar discounts, as well as 10% off contact lenses.
LensCrafters also offers a store credit card, with no interest if paid off within six or 12 months (depending on your creditworthiness). While current deals and promotions change frequently, you can find the latest information on the offers page on the LensCrafters website.
Pearle Vision has rotating promotions and coupons that you can find by visiting the Pearle Vision website. For instance, at the time this article was written, Pearle Vision was offering 40% off the price of lenses with the purchase of frames and 10% off the purchase of a 12-month supply of contacts.
Visionworks features special offers that vary by location, so check with your local Visionworks to learn more. For instance, at the time this article was written, one local promotion was $19 for an eye exam. Another offer was a buy one, get one free special for eyeglasses or prescription sunglasses.
Pearle Vision vs LensCrafters vs Visionworks — all three of these franchises provide affordable, accessible, professional eye care with the convenience of an on-site eyewear store. Each franchise offers vision exams, as well as prescription lenses, frames, sunglasses, and contacts.
Since LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, and Visionworks each have their own set of discounts — and since prices may vary depending on your individual eye-care needs and location — it’s impossible to say which is the most affordable option. The best place to start is by checking our side-by-side insurance comparison chart to see which location accepts your vision insurance. If you don’t have vision insurance, check the store’s websites for the best available promotion.
Want to learn about eye exams at BJ’s Wholesale Clubs? See our article for details.