Do gas stations take checks? Some do. We investigated the biggest gas station chains to find out whether checks are accepted as payment.
If you’re also interested in paying by check at stores other than gas stations, such as restaurants, grocery stores, department stores, and more, check out our list of stores that accept checks as payment.
Gas Stations That Take Checks
These are the gas stations that take checks. Though after extensive research, we could only find one gas station that definitively accepts checks as a company wide policy, and two more that often accept checks but don’t necessarily accept checks at every single location, or have restrictions on the checks that are accepted.
- Accepts Checks? We called a number of 7-Eleven stores with gas stations. Some did not accept checks at all, while others accepted certain types of checks. Please contact your local 7-Eleven to find out which, if any, checks are accepted at that location.
- Find a 7-Eleven
- Accepts Checks? We called a number of Citgo stations and found that while some locations don’t accept checks at all, others accepted local checks, and some accept any personal checks. Please contact your local Citgo location to find out if checks are accepted forms of payment at your location.
- Find a Citgo
- Accepts Checks? Yes. Personal checks can be used for payment and may be written up to $5 over the purchase amount at the gas station.
- Find a Meijer
- Accepts Checks? A Kwik Trip representative informed us that local checks are generally accepted as a form of payment. Contact your local Kwik Trip for more details about the policy at that location.
- Find a Kwik Trip
- Accepts Checks? We contacted a number of TA-Petro locations and found that most do not accept checks, but some will for diesel fuel purchases. Please contact your local TA-Petro to find out if checks are accepted there and for what types of purchases.
- Find a TA
- Accepts Checks? According to Sunoco’s corporate office, it’s up to each individual location to determine its check policy. We called several locations and found many that did not accept checks, but some that did. Please contact your local Sunoco to find out whether checks are accepted at that particular location.
- Find a Sunoco
Gas Stations That May Take Checks
We’ve called every gas station that did not have an official policy on the company website stating whether checks were accepted. In many cases, there’s no uniform company policy on accepting checks, and it’s up to the individual gas station to decide whether checks are an acceptable form of payment.
To avoid confusion and frustration, we recommend that you call ahead before visiting any of the following gas stations intending to pay by check. Oftentimes a gas station will post ‘No checks accepted’ on the storefront or at the pumps if that’s the policy — however, don’t assume that checks are accepted if you don’t see a sign! It’s always better to find out ahead of time, before filling your car up with gas, than to later discover you have no way to pay for it. The location finders we’ve provided for each brand can help you find the contact information and phone number for your local gas station.
- Accepts Checks? We contacted the corporate office for Exxon Mobil and learned that each Exxon Mobil gas station is individually owned and operated, so policies will vary at each location.
- Find an Exxon Mobil
- Accepts Checks? We called the corporate office and found that each store sets is own policies about accepting checks. Based on the representative’s advice, it’s uncommon, but not impossible, to find a Shell that accepts checks.
- Find a Shell
Gas Stations That Don’t Take Checks
- Kum & Go
- Sam’s Club
- Stop & Shop
Do gas stations take checks? Gas stations rarely take checks. In fact, the only one that we could find that definitely accepts check as standard policy is Meijer’s gas stations. Citgo, Sunoco, 7-Eleven and others accepts checks at some, but not all, of the company’s locations. Other gas stations, like Costco and Kum & Go, have explicitly stated that checks are not accepted.