Short Answer: GameStop’s trade-in program accepts both locked and unlocked iPhones as long as they are in working condition. Below, we have the details on GameStop’s iPhone trade-in policy, plus other places that buy locked iPhones.
Does GameStop Buy Locked iPhones?
GameStop does buy locked iPhones through its trade-in program. GameStop phone trade-in requirements show no requirement that the phone must be unlocked, but we called GameStop’s customer service department to confirm that it accepts locked phones. A GameStop representative said the retailer buys both locked and unlocked phones.
GameStop does require that you remove any SIM cards that were not originally part of your phone before trading it in. To get the highest trade-in value for your phone, it must be in working condition with no software issues, no missing parts, and no cracks or dents. Whether the phone is locked or unlocked will not affect its value as long as it is in working condition. GameStop also buys phones that are damaged or not working, but the trade-in value will be lower. You can find out more in our research on GameStop’s broken item policy.
You can estimate the trade-in value of your iPhone or another device on GameStop’s website. Search for your iPhone model under the “Electronics” tab. You can take a copy of the estimate with you to the store when you trade in the device to help the process move smoothly. Keep in mind, the final trade-in price is subject to the store manager’s approval.
Other Stores That Buy Locked iPhones
To get the best price for your phone, you may want to check its value with several different retailers. Below, we have the list of stores where you can sell or trade-in your locked iPhone:
- Amazon.com: You can trade-in electronics in exchange for Amazon gift cards. See Amazon’s trade-in criteria or start your trade-in at Amazon.com.
- Apple: You can make a trade-in in exchange for an Apple Store Gift Card or a refund on your purchase of a new Apple device. See the full trade-in details on Apple’s website.
- Best Buy: You can trade-in electronics in exchange for a Best Buy e-gift card. See the full trade-in details on Best Buy’s website.
- BuyBackWorld: BuyBackWorld will pay you by check, PayPal, direct deposit, a prepaid debit card, or a BuyBackWorld gift card. Select your device on BuyBackWorld’s website to see its sale value.
- Gazelle: Gazelle will pay you by Amazon gift card, check, or PayPal. Select your device on Gazelle’s website to see its sale value.
- Target: You can make trade-ins exchange for Target gift cards. See the full trade-in details on Target’s website.
You can also check out our full list of places that buy phones.
- GameStop customer service (800) 883-8895