Short Answer: GameStop’s trade-in program accepts both locked and unlocked iPhones as long as they’re in working condition. Below, we have the details on GameStop’s iPhone trade-in policy, plus other places that buy locked iPhones.
Does GameStop Buy Locked iPhones?
GameStop buys locked iPhones through its trade-in program. GameStop phone trade-in requirements show no requirement that the phone must be unlocked, but we called GameStop’s customer service department to confirm that it accepts locked phones. A GameStop representative said the retailer buys both locked and unlocked phones.
GameStop does require that you remove any SIM cards that were not originally part of your phone before trading it in. To get the highest trade-in value, your phone must be in working condition with no software issues, missing parts, cracks, or dents.
GameStop also buys phones that are damaged or not working, but the trade-in value will be lower. You can find out more in our research on GameStop’s broken item policy. Whether the phone is locked or unlocked will not affect its value as long as it is in working condition.
You can estimate the trade-in value of your iPhone or another device on GameStop’s website. Search for your iPhone model under the “Electronics” tab. You can take a copy of the estimate with you to the store when you trade in the device to help the process move smoothly. However, keep in mind that the final trade-in price is subject to the store manager’s approval.
Other Stores That Buy Locked iPhones
To get the best price for your phone, you may want to check its value with several different retailers. Below, we list the stores where you can sell or trade your locked iPhone. You can also see our full list of places that buy phones.
- Amazon.com: Pays via Amazon gift card; see Amazon’s trade-in criteria or start your trade-in.
- Apple: Pays via Apple Store Gift Card or a refund on your purchase of a new Apple device; see the full trade-in details on Apple’s website.
- Best Buy: Pays via Best Buy e-gift card; see the full trade-in details on Best Buy’s website.
- BuyBackWorld: Pays via check, PayPal, direct deposit, prepaid debit card, or a BuyBackWorld gift card; select your device on BuyBackWorld’s website to see its sale value.
- Gazelle: Pays via Amazon gift card, check, or PayPal; select your device on Gazelle’s website to see its sale value.
- Target: Pays via Target gift card; see the full trade-in details on Target’s website.
- GameStop customer service (800) 883-8895