Don’t you hate it when you need to rent a car, but you can’t get to the car rental place because you don’t have a car? It’s okay, though, because there are many rental companies that offer free pickup and/or free shuttle services (usually at airport locations). And since you don’t want to be stranded after you return the car, many companies will also drive you back home or back to work — as long as your locations meet the criteria for distance and you give them enough advance notice.
Things to Know Before We Get to the List of Companies That Pick You Up and Drop You Off
- Your pickup location must be within the range that the company is willing to drive — same goes for drop off.
- Most companies require you to notify them a day in advance that you want picked up and/or dropped off (especially smaller rental locations where they have a small staff).
- Airport rental locations rarely do pickup and drop off — as they assume their customers will be flying in or flying out. But they nearly always offer free shuttle services to and from your terminal.
The 15 Rental Car Companies That Pick You Up and Drop You Off
Save 35% over any other company by choosing Turo: Turo is like the Airbnb of cars. Turo is generally 35% cheaper (and far simpler) than renting a car via the traditional route. You and the vehicle’s owner arrange pickup/drop off locations (even curbside at the airport). Learn more or book a rental here. More information about Turo can also be found later in the article. In case you’re traveling, you can use this link for $40 off your first Airbnb.
Advantage offers free shuttle services at airport locations.
Advantage only has airport locations. This means they offer no pickup or drop off service. However, their locations will always be close to the terminal or simply a free shuttle ride away.
2. ACE Rent a Car
ACE Rent a Car offers free shuttle services at select locations.
ACE does offer a shuttle service that will pick you up and drop you off. However, it is not available at all locations, so you are strongly encouraged to call ahead of time to see if your location offers it or not. You can also check the individual location’s policies while you are reserving your car online. It’s over on the right hand side under “Policies.” This link is just an example of a location chosen at random. You will need to go through the reservation process yourself to see if the location you want offers a shuttle.
Alamo offers free shuttle services at airport locations.
Alamo does not offer a pickup or drop off service, but many of their airport locations offer a free shuttle from the terminal to the branch. This is actually the link to a tweet they sent me because there is nothing on their website that addresses pick-up service.
Avis provides a free local pickup and return service.
You must call the location at least 24 hours ahead of time.
Budget will pick you up and drop you off — and it’s free.
- Policies vary by location, so be sure to call the location after you’ve received your confirmation to see if they can get you.
- Be sure to call at least 24 hours before your desired rental time.
- They can’t pick you up at an airport if that airport has a Budget location already. You would either need to use the Budget at the airport or arrange your own transportation to the other Budget location.
6. Dollar Rent a Car
Dollar Rent a Car offers free pickup and drop off if you are disabled.
Dollar Rent a Car is only located at airports. This means they won’t pick up most passengers since renters are almost always coming or going right there from the airport. But they will come pick you up and drop you off if you’re disabled. Call ahead to schedule. So Dollar Rent a Car is one of our rental car companies that pick you up, but only if it is necessary.
7. E-Z Rent a Car
E-Z Rent a Car offers free shuttle services at airport locations.
E-Z Rent a Car is only located at airports. They don’t expressly offer pickup or drop off because of rules about airports, and mainly because most people who rent cars from airport locations are coming out of and returning to the airport. If you need pickup, you can call the branch to ask about it, but it’d probably be a better idea to just go with a different rental company. There is usually a free shuttle to take you from your terminal to the E-Z Rent a Car location.
Enterprise offers free pickup and drop off services if you are located within 10 miles of the Enterprise location.
Enterprise will pick you up, like they’re always advertising. Here are a few rules:
- Enterprise will not pick you up or drop you off at an airport — only the non-airport locations can pick you up and drop off.
- You have to be within ten miles of the branch. Pickups are done by the closest non-airport branch within ten miles of you, but not all branches are able to do it, so you have to call them. You would have to call them anyway to schedule the pickup, but you see where I’m going with this.
- They don’t deliver cars.
- The service is free!
Hertz will pick you up and drop you off for free.
- They only do it at Hertz Local Edition (HLE) locations. When you make your online reservation, just look for the HLE.
- You actually choose the pick-up/drop-off while you’re making your online reservation. Then they either give you a number to call to confirm, or they will call you. Either way it’ll tell you while you’re making your reservation.
- You have to book the pick-up at least 24 hours ahead of time. If you want the car on Monday, you have to book it before closing time on Friday.
- They’ll only drive 15 minutes to pick you up.
- You can’t get picked up or dropped off at an airport. It’s an “airport concession” agreement.
Payless offers free shuttle services at airport locations.
Payless is only offered at airports. This means no, Payless does not offer rental cars that pick you up or drop you off. Each Payless rental location will either be close enough to your terminal to walk or a free shuttle will be provided.
Rent-a-Wreck may offer pick-up and drop off services, depending on the location/branch.
Rent-a-Wreck is operated as individual franchises, so it is up to the location as to whether they offer a shuttle service for pickups and drop-offs. You need to call the corporate number at 1-877-877-0700 and ask to be connected to your local branch. You can also ask the question via the online Rent a Wreck website by clicking here.
12. Sixt Rent a Car
Sixt Rent a Car may offer pick-up and drop off services, depending on the location/branch.
Sixt may or may not offer a pickup and drop off service, depending on the branch. You can call their Reservation department 24/7 at 1-888-749-8227 or by connecting with Sixt via social media or email.
Thrifty may offer pick-up and drop off services, depending on the location/branch.
Thrifty does pickups, but you have to call ahead to schedule it, as only certain locations will pick up and drop off.
Turo offers free pick-up and drop off services, even at airport locations.
If you’re unfamiliar, Turo is like the Airbnb (get $40 off your first Airbnb if you sign up using that link) of rental cars. You and the vehicle’s owner can arrange pickup and drop off arrangements (even curbside). Read the pickup/drop off details here. Browse their 800+ vehicles or book a rental here.
U-Save may offer pick-up and drop off services, depending on the location/branch.
Each U-Save location will have its own policies for pickup and drop-off, and this service may not be available at every location. Be sure to get in touch with the location where you plan to rent if you’re interested in this service. The easiest way to do this is to visit the U-Save website to find a location, then choose Location Website to get to the web page for that particular service center. You can use the Contact form on this page to inquire about whether pickup and drop-off is available.
Final Word on Choosing a Rental Car Company That Does Pickups and Drop-Offs
Enjoy choosing one of these rental car companies that pick you up and drop you off. Contrary to popular belief, slightly more rental car companies do pickups and drop-offs than do not. And if you were hoping to see a company on our list that is not – it means they do not do pickups and drop-offs. This was a comprehensive investigation.