If you need to move furniture, equipment, or other belongings one way, the odds are good that you will need a cargo van or small truck. There are plenty of companies out there that offer this service, but how do you know where to start? Well, this article is a good place. In it, we’ve included what you need to know to get a one-way truck or van, along with pertinent information like unlimited mileage and out-of-state considerations. The data listed were sourced directly from each rental company’s site to guarantee accurate information.
Companies That Allow One-Way Cargo Van and Small Truck Rentals
For all of these companies, you can opt to have different pick-up and drop off locations (AKA: a one-way rental) during the reservation process. Be sure you input both your pick up and drop off locations when you make the reservation to be sure that you are getting a one-way rental.
While specific mileage costs and fees can vary by location and other terms of your rental, all rental companies except Penske do have some sort of per-mile charges on one-way rentals. Most of the time, there will be a daily maximum number of miles allowed; after the maximum, you’ll pay more for your rental per mile. Because these fees vary they often aren’t disclosed until you enter information for your specific rental, so keep an eye out when reserving.
Suggested Article: Rental Companies That Offer Lift Gates So You Don’t Throw out Your Back
- Available vehicles: Cargo Van, Pickup trucks
- Other moving supplies: None
- Mileage restrictions: Mileage costs vary based on location and availability.
- Rates and fees: Alamo will charge an additional “inter-city fee” (AKA: a drop fee) for one-way rentals. You can check for deals and discounts for your trip.
- Where you can drive: Rentals originating in the United States may travel throughout the U.S. and Canada but must be returned to the country of origin. Some locations might let you drive to Mexico, but there will be extra fees.
- Payment options: Accepts debit cards and credit cards (American Express, Mastercard, Visa, Discover Network, and JCB).
- Age restrictions: You must be at least 25 to rent without underage fees. Drivers under 21 to 24 may be able to rent at some locations, but extra fees will apply.
- Locations: Nationwide. Find the nearest Alamo.
- More information: Alamo FAQs, Alamo vehicles
Budget Truck Rental
- Available vehicles: 12-, 16-, and 24-foot trucks
- Other moving supplies: Budget Truck also sells or rents moving accessories including towing equipment, furniture pads, hand trucks, and more.
- Mileage restrictions: Budget Truck will calculate the necessary days and mileage based on the customer’s destination. Additional days and miles can be purchased for a rate of $70.00 per day and $0.70 per mile.
- Rates and fees: Rates vary based on location, availability, and the coverage plan that the customer selects. The lowest rates are typically for Sunday-Thursday rentals. A $150 security deposit is required, usually as a hold placed on a debit/credit card. The funds will be released after the truck is returned.
- Where you can drive: Travel restrictions depend on where you rent from. At most locations, interstate travel is permissible, while other locations require that the vehicle doesn’t cross state lines. Similarly, in some states bordering Mexico and Canada, travel across U.S. borders might be restricted (Canada) or prohibited (Mexico).
- Payment options: May vary among individually licensed locations, but most locations accept Visa, American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Diner’s Club, cash, and personal checks.
- Age restrictions: Most locations will rent to customers 24 years of age and older. Some locations may rent to customers 18 to 23 if the underage driver provides two forms of ID and pays an extra $25 per day surcharge.
- Locations: Nationwide. Find the nearest Budget Truck.
- More information: Budget Truck Rental FAQs
National Car Rental
- Available vehicles: Cargo vans, Pickup trucks
- Other moving supplies: None
- Mileage restrictions: Mileage costs will vary based on location and availability. Per mile charges apply after the rental maximum.
- Rates and fees: National will charge an additional drop charge or mileage charge for one-way rentals on top of the standard rental rates. If National is running any discounts, they will be posted on their Specials page.
- Where you can drive: Rentals originating in the United States may travel throughout the U.S. and Canada but must be returned to the country of origin. Travel to Mexico might be permitted if you buy extra insurance.
- Payment options: Accepts debit cards and credit cards (American Express, Mastercard, Visa, Discover Network, and JCB). Some locations may accept cash.
- Age restrictions: In most cases, customers must be 25 years of age or older to rent a cargo van or truck. Younger customers may be able to rent for an additional fee; specific rules vary by location.
- Locations: Find the nearest National Car Rental
- More information: National FAQ, National Vehicles – Cargo Vans, National Vehicles – Trucks
- Available vehicles: 12-, 16-, 22-, and 26-foot trucks
- Other moving supplies: Penske offers a full range of moving equipment, including hand trucks, furniture pads, towing equipment, and more.
- Mileage restrictions: Unlimited miles on one-way rentals.
- Rates and fees: Rates vary by location; you’ll save 10% if you reserve online.
- Where you can drive: Penske vans and trucks are available in the United States and Canada.
- Payment options: Accepts major credit cards, cash, and checks. Those paying with cash will need to make an initial deposit of $100.
- Age restrictions: Customers must be at least 18 years old and able to produce two valid forms of identification.
- Locations: Find the nearest Penske
- More information: Penske FAQs, Penske moving trucks
- Available vehicles: 10-foot trucks and larger, as well as trailers and towing devices. Some equipment, such as cargo vans, pickup trucks, and open trailers, may only be available for local moves. Contact the nearest U-Haul location for details.
- Other moving supplies: U-Haul sells or rents boxes, hitch accessories, racks, boxes, ropes, tie-downs, and a full range of other moving and packing supplies.
- Mileage restrictions: U-Haul will provide a quote which includes an allowed mileage and a set number of days to complete the move. Additional days and miles can be purchased at a rate of $40 per day and $0.40 per mile.
- Rates and fees: One-way rentals are priced based on a combination of truck size, starting point, destination, and moving date. Rates will vary based on availability.
- Where you can drive: U-Haul is available in the United States and Canada.
- Payment options: Accepts credit cards (American Express, Discover, Mastercard, and Visa), debit cards, and cash. Customers paying with cash will need to make an initial deposit of $100.
- Age restrictions: Customers must be at least 18 years old with a valid driver’s license.
- Locations: Find the nearest U-Haul
- More information: U-Haul FAQs
- Suggested Articles: Does U-Haul Price Match? Price Match Policy on Moving Services and Is There a U-Haul Student Discount? Answered
Elite Truck Rental
Note: Through a partnership with Penske, Elite Truck Rental allows customers to pick up a truck at Elite’s Chicago location and return it to any Penske location in the country.
- Available vehicles: 15-foot parcel vans; Econoline vans; and 16- and 24-foot trucks
- Other moving supplies: Elite Truck Rental sells or rents boxes, furniture pads, ropes, dollies, and other moving accessories.
- Mileage restrictions: Beyond the base rental rate, Elite charges $0.79 per mile on most vehicles.
- Rates and fees: Rates vary based on moving date. Be sure to check for any current promotions.
- Where you can drive: Customers must start from Chicago. From there, the trucks can travel across the United States and Canada (rentals can be dropped off at participating Penske locations).
- Payment options: Accepts debit cards and credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express).
- Age restrictions: Age requirements are not published on the website. Call (312) 942-1001 with any specific questions about renter requirements.
- Locations: Elite only has one location, in Chicago. Its trucks can be dropped off at Penske.
- More information: Request a Quote and Reserve a Truck
In case you’re wondering, Ryder doesn’t offer unlimited miles.
Whether you’re moving a few belongings to a nearby city or your whole life across the country, you have enough to do without worrying about which companies can help you get the job done. There are several companies that rent vehicles appropriate for moving and allow one-way trips, but only Penske also offers unlimited mileage.
You may also want to consider our article: One Way Pickup Truck Rental: 10+ Rental Companies That Offer It