If you’re moving to a new location, one of the things you’ll have to figure out is how you’re going to move all your furniture and belongings from Point A to Point B. If you can’t ship it or fly it, you may need to drive it. In this article, we provide the key details about numerous companies that offer one-way trailer rentals, including the types of trailers available, the vehicle requirements for towing the trailers, and the customer reviews for each business. With this information, you can make an informed and confident decision about securing a one-way trailer rental to ensure that your move is as easy and hassle-free as possible.
Companies with One-way Trailer Rentals
1.Budget Truck Rental
- Available vehicles: Trucks with 12, 16, or 26 foot trailers.
- Requirements: Usually, renters must be 24 or older, but some locations will rent to 12-23 year olds. You need a credit card to reserve the rental. You must present an ID in addition to your drivers license.
- Driving limits: Daily mileage limits apply
- Rates: Search available trucks and locations to see price estimates. Discounts are available for students, military members, and more.
- Locations: Most one-way routes are available in or between Arizona, California, Florida, and Texas, though other routes may also be available.
- Reserve online
- Available vehicles: Trailers are 12, 16, 22, or 26 feet long.
- Requirements: You must be at least 18 and provide two forms of identification.
- Driving limits: Penske offers unlimited mileage on one-way rentals.
- Rates: Request a quote online to find out how much rentals will cost. There are also several discounts available for certain people, such as students and veterans.
- Locations: Nationwide, and Canada. Find a Penske.
- View available trucks and trailers and rent online, or call (844) 847-9517
- Available vehicles: According to U-Haul,“U-Haul trailers are aerodynamic, lightweight and low profile for better gas mileage. Our wide track, stabilized suspension and low center of gravity make for moving made easier.” All of its car trailers have trailer ramps that make loading even low clearance vehicles possible. Here’s what’s available —
- Cargo trailers in sizes from 45 cu. ft. to 396 cu. ft.
- Utility trailers from 26 sq. ft. to 74 sq. ft.
- Requirements: To pull a u-Haul trailer, “your vehicle must be equipped with an adequate hitch system and lighting connections. Your hitch system includes the receiver hitch, ball mount and ball. The overall rating is determined by the lowest rated component of the three.” Generally, the curb weight of your tow vehicle must exceed the weight of the loaded trailer.
- Driving limits: No restrictions on driving to other states. You can drive across the Canadian border, but you can’t enter Mexico.
- Rates: One-way move rates depend on trailer size, point of origin, destination and the date.
- Locations: Nationwide. Find a U-Haul.
- View U-Haul’s trailer inventory and book online or reserve over the phone (800) 468-4285
NOTE: If you’re worried about driving, U-Pack is handy. With U-Pack, you load the trailer, but U-Pack employees come pick it up and drive it. This means you can fly to your new home, which may ease the stress of a long trip.
- Available vehicles: According to U-Pack, “Outside dimensions are 28 ft. x 8 ft. x 9 ft. and inside dimensions are 324 in x 96 in. x 108 in. The full capacity is approximately 1,944 cubic feet. Because your U-Pack price is based on the linear footage used, it’s important to note that each linear foot is 1 ft. x 8 ft. x 9 ft., or 72 cubic feet.” Trailers come with two-foot wide loading ramps are also provided. If you want a smaller option, U-Pack also has ReloCubes, which are about 6 ft by 7 ft by 8 ft.
- Requirements: None specified
- Driving limits: Since U-Pack will drive the vehicle, there aren’t typical limits. They drive nationwide, and also have service to Canada and Mexico.
- Rates: U-Pack charges based on how much space you use, not how much space you buy. You won’t be charged for unused space in the trailer. Payment is due after loading, when you know your exact linear footage. There’s no down-payment or deposit.
- Locations: Nationwide. Find a U-Pack.
- View U-Pack’s trailer inventory and book online or reserve over the phone (877) 453-7274
5. XTRA Lease
- Available vehicles: Dry Vans; Flatbeds; Chassis; Storage Vans; and Cartridge Vans. These are all semi-trailers.
- Requirements: None specified
- Driving limits: None specified, but daily mileage limits will apply.
- Rates: Inquire to find out rates
- Locations: Atlanta, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, New England, San Jose, Newark NJ, Orlando, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Seattle
- Request a one-way rental online or reserve over the phone (800) 325-1453
Whether you need a one way cargo trailer rental or a one way car trailer, these are the one way trailer rental companies available. The list is short, yes, but at least it’s possible to get a trailer and never need to come back to your original location. Not happy with the selection for any reason (such as price)? Read our roundup of which rental companies offer car tow dollies — a much cheaper option than a trailer.