When you’re making a large delivery or moving across city or state lines, it can be helpful to book a one-way trailer rental that you don’t have to return to the same office from which you rented it.
There are a few companies in the U.S. that allow this, and some even allow unlimited mileage for truck and trailer rentals.
Below, we provide the details of the one-way rental options from each company, including the truck and trailer types available, vehicle requirements for towing, one-way routes, and mileage limits.
What We Recommend
While the rental company you choose will ultimately depend on your priorities and the details of your trip, for the most vehicle options with the fewest restrictions, consider renting a trailer from U-Haul.
If you want a one-way rental with unlimited mileage, Penske offers this option, though the company does not allow you to tow trailers with your own vehicle.
The following companies offer one-way truck and/or trailer rental, both between cities and from one state to another; we’ve listed the companies starting with the best overall options:
- Available vehicles: Cargo trailers ranging from four feet by eight feet to six feet by 12 feet; car and motorcycle trailers; moving trucks from 10 feet to 26 feet; utility trailers range from four feet by seven feet to six feet by 12 feet.
- Requirements: Renters must be 16 years of age or older for trailers and 18 or older for trucks. U-Haul requires a valid driver’s license for all rentals. For trailers, your vehicle must have a receiver hitch, ball mount, and ball, plus proper lighting connections. Your car’s towing capability and your hitch system’s weight rating will determine which trailers you are eligible to rent.
- Driving limits: U-Haul does not offer unlimited mileage (as previously reported), but there are no restrictions on driving to other states. You can cross the Canadian border with a U-Haul trailer, but you cannot enter Mexico.
- Rates: One-way move rates depend on trailer size, point of origin, destination, and date. You will receive a quote before finalizing your reservation.
- Book online
- Available vehicles: Moving trucks are 12, 16, 22, or 26 feet long. The 16-foot, 22-foot, and 26-foot trucks have optional trailers for towing your vehicle. Penske does not rent separate cargo trailers.
- Requirements: You must be at least 18 and provide two forms of identification.
- Driving limits: Penske offers unlimited mileage on one-way rentals.
- Rates: You can request a quote online to find out how much your rental will cost. There are several discounts available for certain groups, such as students and veterans.
- Book online
3. Budget Truck Rental
- Available vehicles: Budget Truck Rental offers 12-foot, 16-foot, or 26-foot moving trucks. Car carriers are optional with 16- and 26-foot moving truck rentals. Cargo trailers are not available.
- Requirements: At most locations, renters must be 24 or older, though some locations will rent to customers 18 to 23 years of age. You need a credit card and a valid driver’s license to reserve a rental. Renters under 24 must present a driver’s license and an additional form of ID.
- Driving limits: Mileage limits may apply; expected mileage is calculated using mapping software when you book a one-way rental. Some rentals include unlimited miles.
- Rates: One-way rates vary by truck size, trip dates, and distance. Search available trucks and locations online to see price estimates. Discounts are available for students, military members, and more.
- Book online
4. XTRA Lease
- Available vehicles: Semi-trailers, including dry vans, flatbeds, chassis, refrigerated vans, and storage vans
- Requirements: XTRA Lease rentals are only available to commercial businesses, and all rentals or leases require submission of the XTRA Lease credit application.
- Driving limits: Vary depending on the terms of your rental, but daily mileage limits will apply.
- Rates: Contact XTRA Lease at (800) 325-1452 to request a rate or request a quote online.
- Book online
- Available vehicles: U-Pack trailers are 28 feet by eight feet, but you may use as little as five linear feet. (Note: Each linear foot is one foot by eight feet by nine feet.) ReloCube rental is also available for smaller loads, measuring six feet by eight feet.
- Note: With U-Pack, you load the trailer, but don’t drive it; U-Pack employees will pick it up and drive it to your destination, allowing you to fly or drive your car separately.
- Requirements: U-Pack rentals are short-term; you cannot keep the trailer or ReloCube at your residence for several months while packing. U-Pack won’t ship flammable, perishable, or poisonous materials. It also recommends that you do not pack family photos, heirlooms, or antiques in its trailers, as rentals only include standard liability coverage.
- Driving limits: Since U-Pack will drive the vehicle, there aren’t typical limits on daily mileage or trip distance. U-Pack offers its services throughout the U.S., as well as to Canada and Puerto Rico.
- Rates: U-Pack charges are based on how much space you use, not the size of the trailer. You can request a free quote on the UPack website before booking. Payment is due after loading when you know your exact linear footage. There’s no down payment or deposit. U-Pack offers a $50 military discount.
- Book online
This article states under Penske that “available vehicles” include “trailers” of given lengths… on the Penske website these are in fact trucks, not trailers. I could not find cargo trailer rentals offered at Penske.
Hello, Therese! You are correct — Penske does not rent cargo trailers. We apologize for this error and have updated our article to clarify the types of truck and trailer available at Penske.
picking up a car in Cincinnati. Need to rent a car hauling open trailer.
U-Haul definitely offers car hauling open trailers. I would recommend that you check out the U-Haul website and enter the year, make, model, features, and hitch rating system of the vehicle that you’ll be using to tow the car. U-Haul will also ask for the pickup date and location you’ll need. If you have additional questions, please let us know. I hope this helps!