Walmart offers up to $100 cash back on debit card and Discover credit card transactions. If paying by personal check, you can get $20 cash back. Cash back at Walmart is available at regular registers and self-checkout stations. Getting cash back at Walmart means you don’t have to look for an ATM and you avoid paying any applicable ATM fees. We’ll walk you through the process of getting cash back at Walmart and provide a list of similar stores that also offer cash back at checkout.
In This Article
- Getting Cash Back at Walmart
- Other Ways to Get Cash at Walmart
- Similar Stores that Offer Cash Back
Getting Cash Back at Walmart
At Walmart, the cash back limit is $100 on debit card purchases. For checks, the cash back limit is $20. Cash back can be issued in multiples of $20 — meaning you can get either $20, $40, $60, $80 or $100 per transaction. If you need more than $100 in cash back at Walmart, you can try making multiple transactions and request cash back each time. If you try this, you might have to switch registers because each one has limited cash. When we double-checked with customer service, they were unable to provide a definite answer as to whether Walmart charges for cash back, and recommended checking with your local store. However, it’s extremely unlikely that you’ll be charged for cash back; but you do have to make a purchase, otherwise you’ll have to use an ATM.
Most Walmart stores are open 24 hours. For stores that aren’t open 24 hours, the typical hours are 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. You can find your nearest store using the Walmart store locator.
When Paying with a Debit Card
Debit cards are the most common and reliable payment type for getting cash back. At Walmart, you can get up to $100 cash back on a debit card purchase at a regular register or self-checkout station.
If you want more than $100, you can make multiple transactions and request cash back each time. Using this method, you might run into another limit — your debit card’s daily transaction limit. This is typically a limit on the amount of money you can spend on the card each day and is meant to protect against fraud and card theft.
You’ll also be limited by how much money you have in your account. If you select more cash back than is available in your account, your card might be declined. At most banks, you can opt-in to an overdraft program that allows you to use more funds than you have in your account (up to a set limit). There is often a fee associated. If you’ve activated this program, you’ll be able to get cash back even if you don’t have enough money in your account. You can learn more about overdrafts in our article, How Much Can I Overdraft My Checking Account?
To get cash back using your debit card at Walmart:
- Head to the register to check out and ring up your purchase like normal.
- When it’s time to insert your card, be sure to run it as debit (if you are paying with a debit card but select credit on the machine, you might not be able to get cash back).
- The machine (whether you’re at a traditional or self-checkout lane) should ask whether you want cash back. Select yes and choose the amount. Confirm your purchase by entering your PIN. If the machine doesn’t ask you whether you want cash back, ask the cashier if you can get cash back before entering your PIN.
- Your card will be charged for the full amount — the value of your purchase plus the amount of cash back. The cashier will give you your receipt and your cash.
When Paying with a Credit Card
Usually, you can’t get cash back when paying with a credit card. If you can get cash back with your credit card, the transaction will usually be treated as a cash advance. Cash advances are subject to a fee, and interest begins accruing immediately, rather than at the end of the billing period, as with most credit card transactions. Before getting a cash advance, check your rates.
One of the few credit cards that allow cash back is the Discover Card through its cash over program. Walmart accepts Discover and participates in the cash over program. At Walmart, you can get $100 cash back when you use your Discover Card. And, unlike other credit cards, there will be no fee for your cash back. You can apply for a Discover card online.
When Paying with a Personal Check
Walmart accepts personal checks as a payment type, and you can get $20 cash back when paying with a check. Simply follow these steps:
- Check out at the cash register as normal (you can’t pay by check at the self-checkout).
- When it’s time to pay, ask the cashier if you can pay with a personal check and get cash back. To pay with a personal check, you’ll need to show a government-issued, photo ID.
- Make your check out for the value of your purchase plus up to $20 cash back. Give the cashier your check and show your ID.
- The cashier will scan your check through a check verification service to protect against fraud. Walmart uses either Certegy or TeleCheck. Provided the system doesn’t reject your check, the cashier will give you your receipt and your cash back. See our article: Walmart Check Cashing Policy: Hours, Limit, Fees, and More.
Other Ways to Get Cash at Walmart
Some Walmart stores have ATMs in-store. If the ATM isn’t associated with your bank, you’ll be subject to an ATM fee, so getting cash back is probably cheaper, even if you’ll have to buy a pack of gum or another small item for the sake of making a transaction.
Walmart also offers check cashing services, but they won’t cash a personal check. Walmart will only cash cashier’s checks, government checks, insurance settlement checks, payroll checks, tax refund checks, and 401(k) or retirement distribution checks that are printed. They’ll never cash a check that’s handwritten. The fee is $3 for checks up to $1,000 and $6 for checks over $1,000 and up to $5,000. You can find out more about check cashing at Walmart in our article, Walmart Check Cashing Policy: Hours, Limit, Fees, and More.
Similar Stores that Offer Cash Back
Here’s our article containing the complete list of stores that offer cash back.
Walmart can give you up to $100 cash back, depending on your payment type. To get more than $100, you can make multiple purchases and request cash back each time. You can get cash back on purchases made with your debit card, Discover credit card, or a personal check. Why not take advantage of cash back? It’s definitely cheaper than the typical ATM fee. There are also many stores similar to Walmart that offer cash back and checkout. If you’d like to learn about getting cash back at stores besides Walmart, see our articles Stores That Give Cash Back on Checking, Debit, and Credit Transactions and Where Can I Get Cash Back on a Personal Check? If you need to get a lot of cash back at once, see our article What Store Gives the Most Cash Back on Debit Cards?