Many companies allow you to consolidate multiple gift cards onto one new card, as a paper gift certificate, or by carrying them over as part of an account balance. Below, we list the major companies that will consolidate your old gift cards, along with those that won’t. Plus, we outline other options for using your gift card balance, including adding to your Amazon balance or donating to charity.
Companies That Consolidate Gift Cards
Companies that allow you to consolidate old gift cards will typically do so in one of three ways:
- Adding your cards to an account balance online or through an associated app
- Issuing a new gift card if you call the store, visit a brick-and-mortar location, or communicate with customer service online
- Issuing a different kind of voucher, such as a paper gift certificate, in exchange for your old cards
Below, we list the restaurants, stores, and other companies that allow gift card consolidation and how it works.
Food and Beverage
- Burger King: Add each gift card to your account balance through the Burger King app or call (888) 592-7753 to get a new card. Note that requesting a new card may take seven to 10 days.
- Chick-fil-A: Add each gift card to your account balance through the Chick-fil-A app.
- Chili’s: Call (800) 983-4637 and provide the gift card information; Chili’s will convert your cards to a dining certificate, valid at any location.
- Red Lobster: Visit Red Lobster’s contact page. You’ll need to provide the 16-digit card number for each gift cards, and Red Lobster will send you a new card in the mail.
- Starbucks: Add each gift card to your account balance through the Starbucks app.
- Wendy’s: Add each card to your account balance through the Wendy’s app.
- Disney: Log in at the Disney gift card website. You can then transfer balances under the “Manage Cards” section.
- Google Play: Add your gift cards to your account balance online or through the Google Play app.
- iTunes: Add each card to the balance on your Apple account.
- Xbox: Add all gift cards to the balance on your Microsoft account.
- Amazon: Add each gift card to the balance on your Amazon account.
- Barnes & Noble: Call (800) 843-2665 and provide each gift card’s information. You can combine the balances onto one gift card.
- Dell: Call (800) 624-9897 and provide the gift card information; Dell may take up to three days to issue your new card.=
- Hotels.com: Visit the Hotels.com card-merge page or call (888) 999-4468.
- Lowe’s: Bring your cards to a manager or self-service desk at any brick-and-mortar location.
- Macy’s: Bring your cards to the register at any brick-and-mortar location.
- Target: Add each card to your account balance online or through the Target app.
- Uber: Add all cards to your account balance through the Uber app.
- Ulta: Provide your account information and gift card information to a representative through Ulta’s contact us page.
- Walmart: Add all gift cards to your account balance online.
Companies That Won’t Consolidate Old Gift Cards
While the following companies do not allow customers to combine gift cards, representatives for each company told us that you can use as many cards per transaction as you would like. These companies include:
- AMC Theatres
- American Express
- Best Buy
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill
- The Home Depot
- Old Navy
- Olive Garden
- Taco Bell
Alternative Options to Combine Gift Cards
Consolidate Prepaid Gift Cards on Amazon
Representatives for American Express, Mastercard, and Visa told us that their prepaid gift cards are not combinable. However, you can consolidate very small balances from prepaid cards onto an Amazon account.
To do so, add the card as a payment method to the account and visit the Reload Your Balance page (paid partner link). Type the card’s exact balance into the “Enter an amount” box and submit your request. In our test, Amazon accepted gift card balance transfer requests as low as $1.23.
Note that you cannot use gift cards for other retailers on Amazon, so this option will only work for monetary gift cards like Mastercard and Visa.
Donate Low-Balance Cards to Charity
If you simply want to be rid of your low-balance gift cards, you can do a little good in the process by using CharityChoice Gift Cards. This site allows you to donate partially used gift cards. CharityChoice accepts gift cards from major brands like American Eagle Outfitters, Best Buy, CVS, Target, and Walmart and allows you to choose from a wide variety of charitable causes for your donation.