Short Answer: Fred Meyer sells Western Union money orders. The limit is $1,000 per money order, and the fee is $0.79 per money order. Fred Meyer also cashes money orders, but only at select locations. The hours for money services vary by location, but are generally from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. For more details of Fred Meyer’s money order policy, see below.
In This Article
- Money Order Limits and Fees at Fred Meyer
- When Can I Get a Money Order at Fred Meyer?
- How to Purchase a Money Order at Fred Meyer
- Does Fred Meyer Cash Money Orders?
- What If My Money Order Is Lost or Stolen?
Money Order Limits and Fees at Fred Meyer
Fred Meyer sells Western Union money orders. The maximum amount for a single money order at Fred Meyer is $1,000. If you need more than $1,000 in money orders, you’ll need to purchase multiple money orders — so if you need $2,500 in money orders, for example, you can buy two $1,000 money orders and one for $500. The fee for each money order you purchase is $0.79 at Fred Meyer.
If you’re purchasing money orders with a credit card, your card issuer will consider the purchase a cash advance, so you’ll probably have to pay a transaction fee. This fee usually ranges between 3% and 5% of the money order amount, plus interest. For example, a $1,000 money order purchased with a credit card would incur a $30 to $50 fee. To avoid this fee, make your purchase with cash or a debit card.
When Can I Get a Money Order at Fred Meyer?
Fred Meyer’s money services may not be available any time the store is open; the customer service desk sometimes has shorter hours than the store. We called several Fred Meyer locations and found that money orders are usually available between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. One store in Alaska offered extended hours for money services, from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. The hours vary by location, so it’s best to call your local store to learn when you can buy a money order.
How to Purchase a Money Order at Fred Meyer
Visit the money services center at your local Fred Meyer and ask to purchase a money order; you can find the money services center at the customer service desk near the front of the store. As noted above, it’s best to have cash or a debit card on hand to avoid incurring any fees from your credit card company.
Does Fred Meyer Cash Money Orders?
You can buy a money order at any Fred Meyer money services desk, but not all of them will cash money orders — that policy varies between store locations. It’s best to contact your local Fred Meyer to see if they’ll cash your money order; none of the stores we contacted in our research said they could cash money orders.
If your local Fred Meyer does not offer this service, we have the list of places that cash money orders.
What If My Money Order Is Lost or Stolen?
If your Western Union money order is lost or stolen, don’t worry — you might be entitled to a refund. Western Union offers refunds on lost and stolen money orders if you have your original receipt, and may be able to help you even without a receipt.
- If you have the receipt: Complete Western Union’s money order customer request form and submit it, along with the receipt and a $15 nonrefundable processing fee, to the address listed on the form; by fax, to (720) 864-0477; or by email at RMO@westernunion.com. Allow 30 days for processing.
- If you don’t have the receipt: Complete the money order research request form and submit it with the $30 nonrefundable processing fee either by mail, fax, or email. Include all available documents (such as your register receipt from Fred Meyer, copies of receipts from other money orders purchased at the same time, a bank statement showing the payment, or copies of money orders purchased for the same purpose) to show that you were the purchaser. Allow six to eight weeks for processing, and note that without the receipt, you’re not guaranteed a refund.
If your money order was stolen, be sure to include the police report when you submit the forms and fees.
Western Union will use the information you submit track down your lost or stolen money order. If the order hasn’t been cashed, you may be entitled to a refund. If it has been cashed, you’ll get a copy.
For more details on the refund process, see our dedicated article on how to get a money order refund.
It’s convenient and easy to purchase a money order at Fred Meyer, and even if you lose it or it gets stolen, you might be able to recover your money. Fred Meyer sells Western Union money orders up to $1,000 for a fee of $0.79 at its money services center. But call ahead before attempting to cash a money order at a Fred Meyer money services desk — not all of them can do it.