Fred Meyer is more than just a supermarket — the Portland, Oregon-based chain also offers money services, including money order sales. But before you take your business there, it’s important to know what exactly you’re in for. Keep reading to find out the details of Fred Meyer money orders. We’ve done most of the digging for you.
In This Article
What Is a Money Order?
Money orders are documents used for making payments. They’re similar to checks but often considered a safer alternative because money orders are prepaid. Unlike checks, money orders are guaranteed by a third party, such as a post office or MoneyGram. Fred Meyer uses Western Union to guarantee its money orders.
Money orders come in handy when:
- You need to pay bills without a checking account
- You’re concerned you may bounce a check
- You’re mailing money
- You need to send a secure payment (without using your bank account number)
- You’re sending money internationally
How to Purchase a Money Order at Fred Meyer
Visit the money services center at your local Fred Meyer and ask to purchase a money order. Have cash or a debit card on hand to avoid incurring any fees from your credit card company. You can purchase a money order whenever the customer service center is open. Use the Fred Meyer store locator to find your local store and their hours.
Limit and Fee Information
Fred Meyer limits money order purchases to $1,000 each and the fee for each money order you purchase is $0.79. If you need more than $1,000 in money orders, you’ll have to purchase multiple orders — so if you need $2,500 in money orders, you can buy two $1,000 orders and one $500. In that case, you would have to pay the $0.79 fee for each order, so it would cost you a total of $2.37 to purchase those three money orders.
If you’re purchasing money orders with a credit card, your card issuer will consider the purchase a cash advance, so you’ll probably have to pay a transaction fee. This fee usually ranges between three and five percent of the money order amount, plus interest. For example, a $1,000 money order purchased with a credit card would incur a $30 to $50 fee. To avoid this fee, make your purchase with cash or a debit card.
You can find the above information about limits and fees on Fred Meyer Money Services page.
What If My Money Order Is Lost or Stolen?
If your Western Union money order is lost or stolen, don’t worry — you might be entitled to a refund. But first, you’ll have to dig up the receipt from your money order purchase.
- If you have the receipt: Complete Western Union’s money order customer request form and submit it, with the receipt and a $15 nonrefundable processing fee, to the address listed on the form or by fax to (720) 864-0477 or email at RMO@westernunion.com. Allow 30 days for processing.
- If you don’t have the receipt: Complete the money order research request form and submit it with the $30 nonrefundable processing fee either by mail, fax, or email. Include all available documents (such as your register receipt from Fred Meyer, copies of receipts from other money orders purchased at the same time, a bank statement showing the payment, or copies of money orders purchased for the same purpose) to show that you were the purchaser. Allow six to eight weeks for processing, and without the receipt, you’re not guaranteed a refund.
If your money order was stolen, be sure to include the police report when you submit the forms and fees.
Western Union will use the information you submit track down your lost or stolen money order. If the order hasn’t been cashed, you may be entitled to a refund. If it has been cashed, you’ll get a copy.
Does Fred Meyer Cash Money Orders?
You can buy a money order at any Fred Meyer money services desk, but not all of them will cash money orders — that policy varies between store locations. Call your local Fred Meyer to see if they’ll cash your money order. You can find your local store and their contact info by using Fred Meyer store locator.
It’s convenient and easy to purchase a money order at Fred Meyer, and even if you lose it or it gets stolen, you might be able to recover your money. But call ahead before attempting to cash an order at a Fred Meyer money services desk — not all of them can do it.