Short Answer: Many ShopRite locations offer a senior discount. Since ShopRite is a supermarket cooperative and each store is individually owned and operated, the exact discount terms vary by location. Common discount amounts are around 5% off on a certain day of the week. For more details about ShopRite’s senior discount policy, see below.
ShopRite Senior Citizen Discount Policy
ShopRite grocery stores are part of a cooperative — there are more than 50 members that individually own and operate supermarkets under the ShopRite banner throughout Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. We contacted ShopRite stores in these states for more information about their senior discount policies. About 70% of the stores we contacted confirmed that they offer a senior discount.
However, since store policies are up to individual owners, the terms of the discount will vary by location. Examples of discount policies we found include:
- A ShopRite store in Connecticut told us it deducts 5% on Tuesdays for seniors age 55 and up.
- A ShopRite store in Maryland also offers 5% off for seniors on Tuesdays, but only for purchases up to $50.
- A ShopRite in New York told us that the 5% senior discount is available on Wednesdays for seniors aged 62 and older.
Since the discount amount and age restrictions vary by store, it’s best to contact a ShopRite location for the exact details of its specific senior discount policy.
Other Ways to Save at ShopRite
If you are unable to get a senior discount at your local ShopRite, there are a few other ways to save money at the supermarket:
- Join the ShopRite Price Plus Club, which gives you access to in-store discounts, special offers, exclusive mailings, etc.
- Participate in the Downtime Dollars program; simply watch videos or complete surveys to earn savings that you can load onto your Price Plus Club Card.
- Join the SavingStar program; start by creating an account, then load offers onto your Price Plus Club Card to earn rebates and cash back on purchases.
- Explore ShopRite’s selection of digital coupons and rotating promotions.
Similar Stores With Senior Discounts
If there are no ShopRite stores in your area, there are several other grocery stores around the nation that offer senior discounts, including:
- Albertsons (as previously reported)
- Fred Meyer
- Giant Food (as previously reported)
- Hy-Vee (as previously reported)
- Safeway (as previously reported)
For even more options, we have the list of more than 100 stores that offer a senior discount.