You can only use Visa gift cards in the country where you purchase them. Because of this rule, there are no stores in the U.S. that sell international Visa gift cards.
Online, there are a couple of places where you can find international Visa gift cards, but there are some restrictions.
While you can’t use a standard Visa gift card internationally, you can use a Visa Prepaid debit card worldwide, as long as the issuer approves international transactions.
Visa Prepaid debit cards are available from many financial institutions and retailers, including BB&T, Kroger, PNC Bank, Ralphs, TD Bank, and Walmart.
See below for more about where to buy international Visa gift cards and Visa Prepaid cards.
Where to Buy International Visa Gift Cards
You can only use Visa gift cards at merchants and websites based in the country where you purchased the gift cards. So, if you buy a Visa gift card in the U.S., you won’t be able to use it outside the U.S.
Retailers like Amazon, CVS, The Home Depot, Lowe’s, JCPenney, and Walmart sell Visa gift cards. We checked each store’s Visa gift card use policy and found that you can only use these gift cards in the U.S.
This policy also applies to Vanilla Visa gift cards and Visa gift cards sold by financial institutions.
Buying International Visa Gift Cards Online
U.S. retailers, including online-only gift card retailers like Gift Card Mall and GiftCards.com, don’t sell international Visa gift cards on their websites.
Most international retailers — including Amazon’s international sites, such as Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr — either don’t sell international Visa gift cards online or don’t allow customers to purchase them outside of the country where the company is based.
The following online retailers do sell international Visa gift cards, but with restrictions:
- Restrictions: Rybbon offers gift card services to business and organizations only. You must use a work email address to create your account, and Rybbon doesn’t permit personal use.
- Available Visa gift cards: Visa gift cards in USD and CAD (Mastercard gift cards available in EUR and GBP)
- Gift card delivery: Email and digital wallet
- Payment methods: U.S. credit cards, checks, bank transfers
- Fees: 10% of each gift card’s value
- Find out more or sign up
- Restrictions: GiftCardStore offers Mastercard and Visa gift cards for delivery in Australia and New Zealand only.
- Available Visa gift cards: Customizable Visa cards up to AUD 500
- Gift card delivery: By mail
- Payment methods: Mastercard, American Express, or Visa; all purchases are in Australian dollars, so your card must allow foreign transactions
- Find out more or purchase a card
Where to Buy International Visa Prepaid Cards
While Visa gift cards can only be used in the country where you purchased them, Visa Prepaid debit cards are typically valid worldwide.
You can use prepaid debit cards anywhere Visa is accepted (except in countries where it’s restricted by federal law), and you can reload them, use them at ATMs, and replace them if they’re lost or stolen.
Keep in mind, a Visa Prepaid card may not be a good gift alternative because prepaid debit cards require the cardholder to register under their own name.
Also, note that Visa Prepaid cards typically have monthly fees of $5 to $8 and international transaction fees between 2% and 4%.
The international use policy for prepaid debit cards depends on the issuer. We researched several Visa Prepaid debit card options and found that the issuers listed below offer Visa Prepaid cards that are valid internationally — we’ve linked to each company’s Visa Prepaid card webpage.
- AAA MemberPay Visa Prepaid Card
- ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card
- Commerce Bank mySpending Card
- Green Dot Prepaid Visa Card
- Kroger REWARDS Prepaid Visa Card
- Money Network Prepaid Debit Card
- MOVO Digital Prepaid Visa Card
- MyVanilla Prepaid Visa Card
- PNC SmartAccess Prepaid Visa Card
- Ralphs Rewards Visa Prepaid Debit Card
- Regions Now Card
- White Sands Federal Credit Union Visa TravelMoney Card