You can buy Visa gift cards at a variety of major retailers. Purchase fees are about $3 for gift card amounts up to $75, about $4 for $76 to $250, and about $6 for $251 to $500. Availability and denominations may vary by location. Note that Visa gift cards are different than Visa prepaid cards, which are reloadable and have higher activation fees.
If you’re looking for Visa gift cards that you can use outside of the country of purchase, check out our explanation of where to buy international Visa gift cards.
What We Recommend
The United States Postal Service is the best place to buy Visa gift cards since its post offices are local to most people, it sells gift cards both in stores and online, and it offers amounts up to $500. If you’d prefer the convenience of picking up a Visa gift card on your next shopping trip, you can find maximum amounts ranging from $100 to $500 at many major retail chains, including Walmart, Target, Staples, CVS, Dollar General, and 7-Eleven.
The following businesses sell Visa gift cards — we’ve ordered them starting with the best overall options based on availability and gift card amounts.
1. United States Postal Service (USPS)
Our previous research features the gift cards Walmart sells.
- Availability: In-stores and online
- Denominations: $25, $50, and $100 in stores; up to $200 online
- Find a store or order online
Our related research features the list of gift cards sold at CVS.
Our related research features the gift cards for sale at Safeway.
8. Dollar General
9. Family Dollar
See our list of other gift cards available at Walgreens.
13. Rite Aid
Our previous research lists the gift cards available at Rite Aid.
See our previous list of gift cards Vons sells.
17. Discount Drug Mart
18. Food Lion
21. Office Depot
See our related list of gift cards Wawa sells.
Our previous research lists the gift cards available at Wegmans.
25. Pilot Flying J Travel Centers (Select Locations)
26. TD Bank
Note: TD Bank Visa gift cards are only available to TD Bank customers and there is no purchase fee.
27. U.S. Bank
Note: U.S. Bank Visa gift cards are only available to U.S. Bank customers and there is no purchase fee.
Places That Don’t Sell Visa Gift Cards
In the course of our research, we found that the following places don’t typically sell Visa gift cards:
- Best Buy
- Cost Plus World Market
- Giant Eagle
- PNC Bank
- Trader Joe’s
- Wells Fargo
- Visa gift card customer service (866) 304-1164
- USPS customer service (800) 275-8777
- Walmart customer service (800) 925-6278
- Target customer service (800) 591-3869
- Staples customer service (800) 333-3330
- CVS customer service (800) 746-7287
- Albertsons customer service (877) 276-9637
- Safeway customer service (877) 723-3929
- Family Dollar customer service (866) 377-6420
- 7-Eleven customer service (800) 255-0711
- Walgreens customer service (800) 925-4733
- Rite Aid customer service (800) 748-3243
- Rite Aid customer service
- Meijer customer service (877) 363-4537
- Vons customer service (877) 505-4040
- Discount Drug Mart customer service (330) 725-2340
- Food Lion customer service (800) 210-9569
- Speedway customer service (800) 643-1948
- Sheetz customer service (800) 487-5444
- Office Depot customer service (800) 463-3768
- Winn-Dixie customer service (866) 946-6349
- Wawa customer service (800) 444-9292
- Wegmans customer service (800) 934-6267
- Pilot Flying J customer service (877) 866-7378
- TD Bank customer service (888) 751-9000
- U.S. Bank customer service (877) 693-2899